alside mezzo

Share your experiences with others
newhomeowner1234

alside mezzo

#1 Post by newhomeowner1234 »

I don't see anything in here on the alside mezzo. I read a review saying the mezzo corrected some of the old alside design flaws. I only have one himark dealer willing to bid out on my two windows and they are extremely pricey compared to all other estimates. (Not because of the windows, the company in general has comments on angie's list that they are pricey). So I feel stuck not being able to get the himark window that almost all posters on this site recommend!

So without any other options, i have a company that will install the alside mezzo or should i go with a pella window? which is the lesser of two evils!? or i have someone who will install a Viwinco. and please help me understand why not just post "they are junk or garbage." Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: alside mezzo

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Mezzo is a big step up for Alside and a solid mid grade window. We have not installed it but I have more than kicked the tires on it.

I am concerned about the mil thickness on the vinyl and what feels like an overly malleable frame. The sill is quite thin and was easy to manipulate. If that sill is set on a brick or crowned sill, I can see it twisting and coming out of shape long term.

What Pella window? The only decent vinyl window in their offering is the 350 and I still don't care for the pocket sill. If it is down to the Mezzo and Pella 350, I am probably going with the Mezzo.

What is "pricey" when it comes to the HiMark? It is one of the 2 or 3 best vinyl windows out there if you ask me and should come at a premium to that extent. If the company is well rated, I would imagine they would be a bit more expensive too.

The old saying that you don't get something for nothing holds true here as well. If you want a premium product and a great company (if that company is good), you can count on paying a bit more for it.

You will only be buying windows once if you do it right so it usually seems like a good investment if you ask me and it is within reason.

newhomeowner1234

#3 Post by newhomeowner1234 »

Windows on Washington wrote: What is "pricey" when it comes to the HiMark? It is one of the 2 or 3 best vinyl windows out there if you ask me and should come at a premium to that extent. If the company is well rated, I would imagine they would be a bit more expensive too.
What makes the himark the best? the company installing the mezzo made a few claims against the himark (i didn't write them down and now i forget, but they said they don't install the himark because of xyz) and i did not have a retort except to say "well all the people on the windows forum say it is the best."

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

There is no truly best product as there are tremendously different purchasing criteria and motivations for each and every customer.

There are certainly some commonalities and amongst those commonalities, the HiMark 800 tends to stand out.

U-Factor (available as low as 0.18)
Design Pressure - 60
Composite reinforcement (i.e. not metal) - yes
Nice hardware accent - yes
Air Infiltration - well below 0.05 (0.01)
Looks - nice colonial look to it

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

The alside mezzo cannot be offered in triple pane glass. I am assuming that is because the mezzo frame lacks the strength to handle the slightly extra weight. To me, this implies the mezzo frame is flimsy. I cannot see any other reason as to why triple pane glass isnt offered in mezzo.
Mezzo also does NOT come with a foam filled insulated frame.
I am hearing the mezzo is basically an excalibur with a different sill.
Both the Okna and hiMark 500 and 800 are worlds above mezzo in terms of quality, durability, energy efficiency, and looks.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

You can also talk about the mil thickness of the outer wall of the vinyl extrusion, standard glass spacer, etc. The list goes on.... I'd be interested in knowing what the the guy had to say against it? There really is nothing bad to say other than making something up. It has relatively slim lines for more glass area, its attractive and stout, and has top level ratings in thermal and structural performance. These two windows are NOT an apples to apples comparison at all.
The ideal thing to do (although admittedly it might be difficult), would be to get a working model and corner cutaway of both of these windows next to each other at the same time. Even someone that knows nothing about windows will see a night and day difference.

newhomeowner1234

#7 Post by newhomeowner1234 »

HomeSealed wrote:I'd be interested in knowing what the the guy had to say against it? There really is nothing bad to say other than making something up.
From what I recall, they said it is stainless steal and not metal frame so it won't rust. They have the lock and groove fitting where the windows lock to stop air infiltration (the himark just has the slide by each other fitting type). They also said something about the side weight balance disintegrating on the himark - I assumed they meant something about whatever makes the windows not slam down on their own when they are open and rather just stay open at the level you leave them open. The mezzo has some kind of blocker on the bottom so that the water/air cannot come in the bottom area of the frame. The mezzo has the ability to move and flex with the house so that it won't crack or break with the changes during the climate changes.

Obviously I don't know proper terms so hopefully what I said makes sense.

newhomeowner1234

#8 Post by newhomeowner1234 »

how about gorell vs. okna. is one more high end? I see them both equally spoken of as good windows. IE: if i want a good window which is less costly!?

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

This Mezzo guy isn't a mechanic or installer. He knows what he knows based upon trying to earn a sales commission. No worthy tool belt wearing red blooded human that has installed thousands of windows from every manufacturer would think that the Mezzo is on the same page as the 500/800 series from OKNAHiMark.

The information regarding the balance systems that are housed in the jambs is pure sales BS. We see and hear this way too much as window pros. Both block & tackle and constant force are darn good balance systems compared with old grease filled spiral balances that were the industry standard in vinyl for about 20-years. The only time that I really see a problem with either is in new construction on a very thin walled cheap builder's grade windows in which the homeowner didn't lift the bottom sash out the seated sill position prior to tilting and then they forced it to the clean tilted position which destroyed the pivot bars and they started messing with the balances. No worries for you if you had either system.

Gorell was a good manufacture back about 15-years ago. Their lines have been bought out (rescued) by Soft-Lite and some have been morphed into Soft-Lite's older designs with a Gorell label. Some of the the Impact stuff from Gorell is still being made as is the 5300? series, but it's under Soft-Lite's umbrella. We did a 20-plus 5300 job back in the fall and while it is a neat window, it's very dated and has a weeping irrigation sill which I don't like.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

"The mezzo has the ability to move and flex with the house so that it won't crack or break with the changes during the climate changes."

Thats a hilarious/ ridiculous statement by the mezzo salesman. Only a weak,flimsy, and cheaply designed window would flex and bend with the house. What is mezzo made of, rubber ???
That would actually be an improvement.lol

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

masterext wrote:"The mezzo has the ability to move and flex with the house so that it won't crack or break with the changes during the climate changes."

Thats a hilarious/ ridiculous statement by the mezzo salesman. Only a weak,flimsy, and cheaply designed window would flex and bend with the house. What is mezzo made of, rubber ???
That would actually be an improvement.lol
I didn't see that statement anywhere but it if it is out there....that is hilarious.

I am designing a new window out of Playdough very soon so that when the window fails, you can just put it back in the form and squeeze out a new one.

:lol:

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

newhomeowner1234 wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:I'd be interested in knowing what the the guy had to say against it? There really is nothing bad to say other than making something up.
From what I recall, they said it is stainless steal and not metal frame so it won't rust. They have the lock and groove fitting where the windows lock to stop air infiltration (the himark just has the slide by each other fitting type). They also said something about the side weight balance disintegrating on the himark - I assumed they meant something about whatever makes the windows not slam down on their own when they are open and rather just stay open at the level you leave them open. The mezzo has some kind of blocker on the bottom so that the water/air cannot come in the bottom area of the frame. The mezzo has the ability to move and flex with the house so that it won't crack or break with the changes during the climate changes.

Obviously I don't know proper terms so hopefully what I said makes sense.
None of that makes any sense whatsoever. This is a person that knows nothing about windows or is just making stuff up to try and get a sale.

-stainless steel vs metal, not sure what they are referring to. There is no metal in the Himark window. The 800 series has composite sash reinforcement and the glass spacer is composite as well. Those are metal on the other product.
-the balance system is a non-issue as Mike described. Constant force and Block and tackle are both good, although the block and tackle is a little stronger and tested to last for more duty cycles.
- the "blocker on the sill" is not unique to that product. The Himark has a sill interlock and the sill dam is also mortised into the frame.
-the "lock and groove fitting where the windows lock" best I can tell refers to the sash interlock. The Himark does have a full length sash interlock.

At this point, I'd move on from that dealer based both on product offering and the either uninformed or dishonest sales tactics.

newhomeowner1234

#13 Post by newhomeowner1234 »

859 per window installed is that a good deal or too high!?

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

What window and options again?

newhomeowner1234

#15 Post by newhomeowner1234 »

envirostar delux, double hung, white, xr5 glass package and full screen with the grids. so my husband asked the question (and i didn't know how to respond), are the opinions on the window site like the opinions of people who debate a mac is better than a PC, when a PC can do the job you need, but some people say a mac does the job better?

so it seems okna will only allow one dealer per area so what price i get with this company is the only price! doesn't seem fair to the homeowner that I can't get multiple bids! makes me need to go with another window company.