Bad sealing on vinyliwindows installed in brick veneer

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
susanora

Bad sealing on vinyliwindows installed in brick veneer

#1 Post by susanora »

I had vinyl windows installed in my brick veneer home about 20 years ago. The caulk/seal on several of them was never perfect & cause moisture to seep in below the windows, just enough to damage the interior plaster. Before fixing the plaster I want to fix the problem. Also, there are beginning to be slight drafts which I assume means the caulk is failing in some places. So do I: 1) pull all the caulking off the exterior & re-caulk, leaving the window in place; or 2) pull the window entirely out of the opening & go from there; or 3) All Advice Greatly Appreciated! I am an intermediate DIYer on low budget.

Windows on Washington

Re: Bad sealing on vinyliwindows installed in brick veneer

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What kind of shape are the windows themselves in?

No need to replace or pull the windows if they are installed correctly and just need re-sealing but vinyl windows from the early 90's probably weren't the most well designed buggers in the world either.

Post up some pictures if you can.

A window shouldn't be leaking into the home either way if the primary seal with the brick is bad in a majority of the cases/installs.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Unless these were very high end windows 20 years ago, it is likely that they are not going to be worth (or possibly not even survive) the effort of resetting them. Hopefully some recaulking is able to fix your issues.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

So I just had to check, my mechanical master frame/ welded sash from 1990 are going strong.
Nice fabricator with Chelsea extrusions.
Any who I would start by cutting out the old caulking and reseal with Quad or some other polimer based sealant.
Caution: many installers seal the lintel to the masonry above and trap water in and force it to the inside. Do not seal the cap or lintel to the mortar or masonry above, it is considered part of a drain plane.