which glass to choose

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
riverlee

which glass to choose

#1 Post by riverlee »

I am still trying to decide which brand of window to choose though I am leaning towards Milgard. it doesn't seem that there is much benefit to going with fiberglass but I am also looking into Inline. my newer issue is which glass to choose. the Milgard employee I talked to the other day mentioned the 4th surface coating ( i89) that supposedly brings the u value close to triple pane- around .23 for the double pane with i 89, argon and foam fill according to their energy efficiency chart. but the sales guy at their dealer said that coating is inside and will make the windows difficult to clean and easily scratched. he suggested the loE 366 coating with argon and warm edge spacers. I just read about the loe-i89 on the Cardinal site and it says it is easy to clean.
also, my house will be in Idaho and it is high altitude. and cold. and sunny. so i don't fully understand what that means with regards to the argon - will i not have it or will i just need capillary tubes? and i don't know if i should get the lowest u value possible, which then seems to give me a shgc of around .25? seems that i want a higher shgc but i wouldn't think at the expense of the u value. ?
i would really appreciate some good advice on this!

Lee

Windows on Washington

Re: which glass to choose

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The salesperson is incorrect on his/her assessment of the i89. It doesn't do either of those things, however, if you are in a place where you have temperature extremes, you would be better suited (in order to maintain performance and Condensation resistance number...or CR numbers) to go with a triple pane unit.

Putting the i89 on surface 4 (interior surface) does drop the CR slightly and will make the window, if only slightly, more prone to condensation as compared to standard double pane/argon.

I think Idaho temps certainly justify a triple pane unit based on my estimations.

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/uni ... aho/boise/

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I agree with WoW, look for triple pane instead of the i89, you'll be better served and be less likely to have condensation issues. This i89 coating is still relatively new and I'd stick with tried and true for now.

riverlee

#4 Post by riverlee »

thanks you guys. I did read about condensation being more likely, which was a bit concerning. I did want triple pane until the Milgard employee told me they are limited to 25 sq ft in size. that kind of killed it for me, at least with Milgard. that's why I was interested in the i89 when she mentioned it. sigh...

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

riverlee wrote:thanks you guys. I did read about condensation being more likely, which was a bit concerning. I did want triple pane until the Milgard employee told me they are limited to 25 sq ft in size. that kind of killed it for me, at least with Milgard. that's why I was interested in the i89 when she mentioned it. sigh...
Milgard isn't the only game in town.

Keep shopping and get the best window you can. I know this is frustrating from time to time but stay the course.

riverlee

#6 Post by riverlee »

yes, it's just that Milgard seems to be perhaps the best option. I can't really find a window available out there that seems better. I do like the innotech except for the fact that they only have the tilt type of window- I just don't think I will be happy with windows that open into my house. and I am waiting for the inline guy to get back to me again with an updated quote and info on triple pane and energy ratings for their double and triple. I know you have already offered those suggestions, but if you have any other thoughts on brands I welcome your input! you have no idea how much research I have been doing online trying to find a good window. it truly is frustrating! thank you again for your help

riverlee

#7 Post by riverlee »

so if I end up being able and willing to go with inline triple pane, would I want to get the hard coat with a .19 u value and .44 shgc or soft coat with .17 u value and .28 shgc? I don't know why I didn't see this download already but I found the energy info on their site. honestly the biggest issue so far that I have with the inline is the commercial brown frame color rather than black :)

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Describe what the window needs to be and look like again.

riverlee

#9 Post by riverlee »

I tentatively have mostly casements and picture windows with a couple sliders, along with 3 patio doors, probable all sliding. some of the picture windows are 6.5 ft tall by 6 & 7 ft wide. I was kind of leaning towards a black interior and exterior finish since split colors cost more or are not available and I like the dark interior anyway. my kitchen/living/dining area is all open and that is where the biggest windows and a couple patio doors and some other windows will all be. there is north, east and west exposure in that area.
thank you

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

What color on the exterior?

You set on Fiberglass, Vinyl, wood, etc?

riverlee

#11 Post by riverlee »

I have not decide on the siding for my house yet but I am pretty certain that I will want a dark exterior window color. which is why I figured a black finish all around would be nice. Inline's brown might be darker than I think, which would be good. I am hoping the rep is sending me a sample.

riverlee

#12 Post by riverlee »

sorry, forgot the second part.
I don't want wood but am open to vinyl or fiberglass. not many vinyl windows come in the size I need though.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

With a split finish option like that, you choices get limited.

A composite (whether vinyl of fiberglass) with a paintable and stainable interior would work but that is narrow territory at that point.

riverlee

#14 Post by riverlee »

well I am still open to at least knowing what good options there are and then decide which of those have colors I can work with. the size I want is really more of an issue from what I have found. I definitely don't want to have to paint or stain the interior though. part of the problem is that I might have to have cedar siding though I am hoping not (house has to be approved by the little HOA I am in but it's only a few people). and I don't think white windows probably fit into that look too well. even if I use another siding it will likely still be a wood look or darker tone metal. they definitely like a certain look out there.

tru_blue

#15 Post by tru_blue »

riverlee wrote:so if I end up being able and willing to go with inline triple pane, would I want to get the hard coat with a .19 u value and .44 shgc or soft coat with .17 u value and .28 shgc?
I'd go with the .17 U-Value & the SHGC of .28. Here's why. If you have a large amount of glass in a certain room or rooms, a high solar heat gain can make that area somewhat uncomfortably hot in the direct sunlight. Yes it will heat up the room in winter with "free" energy, but it will heat up the room in summer too. However having said that, if you have a lot of trees or deep soffits providing shading on those same windows, then high solar heat gain is OK; much of the summer heat from the sunlight would be blocked by the shade, and the sun's heat in the winter time would be somewhat welcome. The .17 U-Values and .28 SHGC values will keep the home energy efficient (as far as the glass goes) and at a "consistent" comfort level year-round. So based on the glass area of your home, the orientation of the sun striking the home, etc., you'll have to make that call for yourself as to whether you want a high or low solar heat gain. :idea: