Will this replacement window fit?

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
PhotoShop

Will this replacement window fit?

#1 Post by PhotoShop »

Hello,

Just a general question about whether this replacement window will fit in my existing opening. The replacement window measurements are as follows: ACTUAL Heght 53.75" ACTUAL width 27.75". Rough opening width is 28" and rough opening height is 54".

My actual window opening measurements are as follows: smallest width measurement ( jamb to jamb ) is 28 5/8" while the smallest height measurement from headed to highest part of sill is 53 & 15/16".

The other measurement I took is the width between the exterior stops...which measures
27 & 13/16".

My question is: If the ACTUAL width of this replacement window is 27.75" how is it going to rest on the exterior stops if the distance between them are 27 13/16"?

Wouldn't the exterior stops have to be removed and replaced with wider stops in order for the window to rest upon them? What else could be done ( if anything ) to get this size window to fit?

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

HomeSealed

Re: Will this replacement window fit?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

yes it should fit. Shims, fasteners, foam, caulk, and flashing will comprise the effectiveness of your installation. Exterior stops are not even necessary. In many installations they are cut off and left off.

PhotoShop

#3 Post by PhotoShop »

HomeSealed wrote:yes it should fit. Shims, fasteners, foam, caulk, and flashing will comprise the effectiveness of your installation. Exterior stops are not even necessary. In many installations they are cut off and left off.
Isn't the replacement window supposed to rest on the exterior stops...aren't you supposed to run a silicone bead around the exterior stops, then install the replacement window and it rests on the exterior stops?

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Your replacement window is a little narrow for that opening as you already know. If a window installer were handed this project in which a homeowner already had this window he would hide this gap with the capping returns after anchoring and insulating of the unit. Sounds to me like you're planning on doing this yourself and were hoping to just pull the interior stops and perform more of a "caulk and walk" type of installation? Nothing wrong with that, but it typically would require the measuring to be tighter and more correct.

Installing new stops should do the trick if you don't plan on capping the exterior. You may want to remove them very cleanly in regards to the cutting so you have some of the stop still in tact that is mortised to the frame as it meets the brick molding or trim boards. I've always found that replacement stops are hard to nail pneumatically as the modern exterior screen track vinyl profiles are in the way of the head of the nailer. It can be done however.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

PhotoShop wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:yes it should fit. Shims, fasteners, foam, caulk, and flashing will comprise the effectiveness of your installation. Exterior stops are not even necessary. In many installations they are cut off and left off.
Isn't the replacement window supposed to rest on the exterior stops...aren't you supposed to run a silicone bead around the exterior stops, then install the replacement window and it rests on the exterior stops?
If you are going by a youtube video "caulk and walk" method, yes. As I mentioned earlier though, the exterior stop really doesn't add much to the installation integrity. If anything, it only provides a way of covering the edge of the new frame for a "finished" look. Most professionally installed windows are going to be capped on the exterior so that blind stop really doesn't serve much function in that case.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Its probably a 28 x 54. To be safe, order 27 7/8 x 53 3/4 rough. They would deduct a 1/4" from that width and a 1/2" from that height.
I would imagine you have plenty of experience?