Sunrise Casement Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rsmitty115

Sunrise Casement Windows

#1 Post by rsmitty115 »

I am in the middle of doing research trying to decide what to replace my current 20+ year old wood casements (difficult decision on such a big investment). I live in SE Michigan where the climate changes throughout the different seasons. I am replacing 25+ casement and picture windows along with a 9ft door wall. Quite a few of my windows are south facing and take quite a bit of abuse from the sun. I was leaning towards Marvin Infinity Fiberglass but after doing some reading and quite a bit of research I am leaning towards Sunrise windows. My concerns with vinyl were resale reasons along with the "tightness" of the window over time. The quotes I have received thus far seem to be just referring to the windows as just the Sunrise model. Do only certain contractors handle the high end restoration model? Or has sunrise condensed to just calling the higher end models the Sunrise? I was specific when getting quotes in saying that I did not want the essential version. Should I be concerned about the Sunrise vinyl casements losing there "tightness" over time due to expansion and contraction of vinyl? I am also replacing a 9ft door wall with a full glass transom window overhead. Does Sunrise make a good slider? I have also been told that I cannot put back in a full glass 9ft transom window in above the door wall (would have to be 3 separate windows). Not sure if this is because it is vinyl now instead of wood or just something Sunrise won't do. Any help or any other options would be greatly appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Sunrise Casement Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sunrise makes both a great sliding door and casement. Both are really quite good.

I would not worry about either of them loosing their tightness over time.

rsmitty115

#3 Post by rsmitty115 »

Do only certain companies carry the higher end restorations? Similar to to how only certain contractors can only sell the marvin infinity series. Just want to make sure when I am being told I am being quoted the sunrise model that it is the higher end window.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think the casement series is the casement series when it comes to Sunrise. As long as you are not getting Essentials, you should be good.

Don't quote me on that but I think that is the case.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

rsmitty115 wrote:Do only certain companies carry the higher end restorations? Similar to to how only certain contractors can only sell the marvin infinity series. Just want to make sure when I am being told I am being quoted the sunrise model that it is the higher end window.
that is correct, the Restorations line is the top Sunrise model and is only available through select dealers. That said, as WoW alluded stated, the standard Sunrise casement is the base for that window and still very good

rsmitty115

#6 Post by rsmitty115 »

Thanks for the feedback. I am feeling better about going with the vinyl. I am going to have a Soflite dealer come out to give me a quote to compare to my sunrise quotes. would it be best to get the quote on the SL LS and Essentials?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Same thing for Soft-Lite and most vinyl manufacturers. The casement is a series all its own.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

The Soft-Lite casement window is the same aesthetically but the performance numbers do change once it goes down to the Classic and down again to the barrington I do believe.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Soft-Lite pretty much loads up something like the Elements casement which would be pretty much the same as a stripped down Barrington. The Barrington wouldn't come standard with an upgraded non-metal spacer, foam filled extrusions, Bettervue screen mesh, accidental glass breakage, different fold down handles. Performance on the Barrrington regarding U-factor might drop 1-2 points max.

rsmitty115

#10 Post by rsmitty115 »

I am in SE Michigan and the rear of my home faces South with the front directly North. My current Sunrise quotes are with Ultra U double pane glass. Would I benefit in getting some quotes to upgrade the glass package (possibly upgrade to triple pane)?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would go triple everywhere and double on the South facing windows if you home has the ability to store up some of the passive solar.

rsmitty115

#12 Post by rsmitty115 »

HomeSealed wrote:
rsmitty115 wrote:Do only certain companies carry the higher end restorations? Similar to to how only certain contractors can only sell the marvin infinity series. Just want to make sure when I am being told I am being quoted the sunrise model that it is the higher end window.
that is correct, the Restorations line is the top Sunrise model and is only available through select dealers. That said, as WoW alluded stated, the standard Sunrise casement is the base for that window and still very good
I was able to locate a dealer that sells Restoration windows in my area. I also visited the Sunrise showroom at the factory and they were quite helpful. I believe I received a fair price to replace approx 34 windows at what I believe to be a fair price (approx. $775 a window installed). I have a mixture of casement and picture windows, half will have grids between the glass along with some with tempered glass. This forum has been helpful in making a tough decision. I hope to place the order early next week.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Definitely a fair price on a very good product. I believe that your choice will serve you well for many years... Be sure to post back with updates.

Randy

#14 Post by Randy »

Agreed - great window and reasonable pricing. Great job you'll be pleased with the product.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Seems very fair for the quality of that window.