Does triple pane make sense?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ToddB

Does triple pane make sense?

#1 Post by ToddB »

Hey, guys. Found this little gem of a site, and I think you saved me from making a few mistakes (like buying the well known names and having them installed by the big box stores). Thanks. Maybe you can help me avoid some more.

What do you think of triple pane with the argon fill and energy rejection coatings in the Philly area? Overkill? I've read online that they're usually about 25% more expensive. A salesman at (insert big box store name here) insisted I needed triple pane with the frills. Actually, I think he was recommending krypton. Made some claim about huge energy savings. (And, how would the buyer even know that the gas was in there? It could be simple air and we'd never know.)

Is there a web resource out there that makes recommendations based on geographical location?

GO EAGLES!

Delaware Mike

Re: Does triple pane make sense?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

It's hard to say if one in Philly can recoup the up charge for triple-glazing. My research has always led me to stick with just double-glazing with low-e argon, especially if the homeowner isn't planning on staying in the house longer than 8-10 years. I can't speak for other window dealers but personally we charge about $45 to $65 for that upgrade. I've not done krypton since 2007 when it's pricing went through the roof and doesn't make it a viable option anymore.

What kind of windows are you removing? OKNA is located just north of the city so that might be something to consider. Going to be the most anticipated Eagles season I can ever remember for us green blooded fans. Can't wait after sitting through our horrible baseball, basketball, and hockey seasons.

I've not ever heard of any legit window manufacturer not filing their IG units with the appropriate gas fill along with low-e. Most of the glass is out sourced anyhow in the vinyl industry. All windows come in to us with NFRC performance stickers stating the make, model, and stats.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Toddb
Technically triple pane will render more energy efficiency, less heat transfer through the glass. However, air infiltration is just as important or even more so. Air infiltration/ air leakage is a measure of how air tight a window is made. You can have triple pane glass but a window that is made flimsy with a high air leakage number will mitigate any benefit you are getting from triple
Pane. Look for a window with an air leakage number of .06 or lower and be sure that number is based on a double hung window, not a casement or fixed window. If the company dances around the question or just claims their window uses a " pass or fail" , politely tell them to have a nice day and move on. When a company claims they dont know their air leakage number or if they use a pass or fail, that means the number is high.
I notice you are in Philly. The gentleman above ( Delaware Mike) serves your area and he is one of the most proficient window contractors i have ever met and he also carries a variety of solid brands. I would click on his contact button and see if he can stop by and take a look at your project.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Like DM I find the dual pane low e argon with non metallic spacer to be the cost efficient for our area. If you are convinced triple pane is for you and have $85 more per window then go for it.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Wayne, im assuming $85 extra per window is triple pane argon , certainly not krypton which is very expensive?

ToddB

#7 Post by ToddB »

Thanks for the answers. I'm getting a bit of a vibe that they will be a bit more efficient, but maybe not needed in this area. Nice to have if you can afford it, but you won't miss it if you can't. I did read somewhere that weight could be an issue with three panes of glass. Will it cause issues with the balance system that keeps windows open?

Someone mentioned recouping the upgrade cost. I'm assuming that's from double to triple? How long does it take roughly to recoup the cost of double pane/argon/coating replacing 35 year old aluminum double pane windows? Is there really a significant difference?

DelawareMike - I don't know what you're talking about. There have been no baseball, hockey or basketball seasons the past couple of years. None. Nope.

Windows On Washington - how'd you find that video of me? :lol:

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Energy payback timetables depend on current energy usage and other items like air leakage and building envelope.

If you have double pane clear, the improvement is not as dramatic from a thermal standpoint as some may represent. Where you will see more improvement, in most cases, is the building and opening tightness.

Often times, reductions in drafts will contribute more significantly to the overall performance improvement than with the thermals.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yes, triple pane with argon.

NorthernMaryland

#10 Post by NorthernMaryland »

The thing I am concerned about with triple panes is the VT, visible transmission stats. I worry they will be too dark looking in the house and make me think it is going to rain even when the sun shines. That would be very depressing especially in a long winter. I don't have real world experience, just my concerns about this. If anyone can chime in who actually has them that would be helpful. I do like the U-value upgrade they can give to your average double hung though.

If memory serves me right, on the OKNA windows going from double to triple panes drops the VT from about 53 to about 43. Is that 10 point drop noticeable to people????

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, but you have to decide what values are most important to you.

masterext

#12 Post by masterext »

Bieber usa is a scam.. Do not click on that link.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

I always thought Bieber was Canadian? :mrgreen: