Gorell Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HomeSealed

Re: Gorell

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

Actually it's not a small cost masterext. I am a former Gorell dealer, and I for one am shocked and disappointed at the way that Softlite is essentially telling these homeowners to get lost. I contacted them for a replacement IG unit recently for a past client of mine, and was quoted nearly $400.

Softlite purchased the good name, respected product, and client base of Gorell, but will accept none of the responsibilities that one would logically assume should come with that. Yes its business, and perhaps there is no legal recourse, however the court of public opinion will certainly speak on this. I feel absolutely terrible for those folks that spent tens of thousands of dollars to replace their windows and now are left in the lurch. Is Gorell the only company to have gone out of business, certainly not. It really twists the knife however to hear that someone can still buy a "Softlite-Gorell" product and that the company reaping the benefit of that will do nothing for you.

I have been complimentary of the Softlite product line and company for years, however the way that this situation has developed over the past three years has left a very sour taste in my mouth. Perhaps they are feeling some heat over there as well, as the Gorell website had been up under SL's management for a while, and now there is simply a notice explaining that SL is not honoring Gorell's past warranties (in summary).

Certainly SL could still try to make this right with old Gorell customers, but I'm not holding my breath. They have likely "weathered the storm" at this point with the biggest fallout having come and gone.

That is my $.02 anyway. My statements are opinion only and not meant to defame or slander any person or company, nor are they reflective of the operators of this site or its other contributors.
I'd recommend that anyone with questions research the facts on the matter and judge for themselves.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#17 Post by masterext »

Homesealed, i agree its unfortunate but its all about money and soft lite saw this as a business opportunity. I'm not saying its right but it was a strategic move. Wall street does it all day long. Again, i dont agree with it but i understand their reasoning from a business perspective. If it was me and i had a seal failure with a gorell window, i would be upset, no doubt. I dont even think soft lite is even using the gorell name any more.
As far as my statement regarding " a small cost", i was under the impression soft lite was charging a minimum cost for IG failures. I stand corrected.
My big issue would be how soft lite kind of left former gorell dealers out to dry by having a bunch of disgruntled customers blaming the dealer for not rectifying issues. Luckily, as i said, gorell made a quality window so issues should be kept at a minimum.

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with you masterext, although perhaps the move looked better on paper than how it turned out.

I've also noticed that it is difficult to find anything being promoted as Gorell or Softlite-Gorell these days. Maybe they have given that up due to the bad press... Still stinks either way.

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:Actually it's not a small cost masterext. I am a former Gorell dealer, and I for one am shocked and disappointed at the way that Softlite is essentially telling these homeowners to get lost. I contacted them for a replacement IG unit recently for a past client of mine, and was quoted nearly $400.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

$400 for an IG unit? Wow.

toddinmn

#20 Post by toddinmn »

There business plan makes sense now, buy Gorell on the cheap and make a fortune selling IG units.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#21 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:Actually it's not a small cost masterext. I am a former Gorell dealer, and I for one am shocked and disappointed at the way that Softlite is essentially telling these homeowners to get lost. I contacted them for a replacement IG unit recently for a past client of mine, and was quoted nearly $400.

I have twice ordered some IG units for Gorell customers and the cost was a little over a hundred per IG unit. Those were a couple years ago. Maybe they have raised the prices since then....

Windows on Washington

#22 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:There business plan makes sense now, buy Gorell on the cheap and make a fortune selling IG units.
Todd swoops in and scores a Zinger.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

HomeSealed

#23 Post by HomeSealed »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:

I have twice ordered some IG units for Gorell customers and the cost was a little over a hundred per IG unit. Those were a couple years ago. Maybe they have raised the prices since then....
That was my past experience as well Dave. Perhaps that pricing has expired, or this coincides with their distancing of themselves from the Gorell name?... Assuming of course that that is their intention. That is speculation on my part.

arch_1

#24 Post by arch_1 »

If there is any talk of a class-action suit, please let me know. I want in on it.

Windows on Washington

#25 Post by Windows on Washington »

Arch,

How many seal failures do you have right now?

Softlitesucks

Re: Gorell Windows

#26 Post by Softlitesucks »

Realize this is an old thread, but giving it new life as I stare out my Gorrell bow window with 4 out of 5 panes completely obscured by seal failure. I refuse to believe there is no recourse for resolution other than paying insulting replacement costs for new panes. I have contacted a firm in NYC regarding this matter, Finkelstein, Blankinship, Frei-Pearson & Garber LLP if anyone else is interested in a class action suit.

Windows on Washington

#27 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sorry to hear about that. Definitely keep us posted how it goes and we will up the board.

Finkelstein....

Kdmbn

#28 Post by Kdmbn »

Softlitesucks wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 pm Realize this is an old thread, but giving it new life as I stare out my Gorrell bow window with 4 out of 5 panes completely obscured by seal failure. I refuse to believe there is no recourse for resolution other than paying insulting replacement costs for new panes. I have contacted a firm in NYC regarding this matter, Finkelstein, Blankinship, Frei-Pearson & Garber LLP if anyone else is interested in a class action suit.
I would be interested in joining this to get some compensation. Even if It is a longshot.

Ricknez

#29 Post by Ricknez »

when soft lite bought Gorell, they basically bought out Gorell dealers. during the purchase agreement, soft lite was under no obligation to warrant any gorell products prior to the purchase. whatever warranty gorell issued was null and void when soft lite aquired them. a lawsuit would be futile and shot down before it went to court.
remember, soft lite had their attorneys protect them by including a provision in the purchase aggreenent with gorell that they are excluded from any liability prior to the purchase. soft lite merely aquired “ the assets of gorell”.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#30 Post by masterext »

Soft lite was bought out by an investment company 2 years ago.