fact vs sales hype

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kbutler

fact vs sales hype

#1 Post by kbutler »

I am planning to replace 20 old aluminum windows in my home and need some insight in sorting fact from sales hype. Below are questions that I have and am interested in the science/proven facts.

1. Will Vinyl or Fiberglass windows that are manufactured to look like wood maintain their appearance over time. I am concerned about fading, peeling, cracking, etc. I would really like to understand if the wood appearance is a stain or some type of laminate that is applied to the surface of a vinyl window, or is the vinyl manufactured in such a way that the wood look is part of the vinyl material?

2. Will a significant/meaningful amount of argon gas leak from windows that are manufactured at low altitude and transports/installed in Colorado (5800 feet)?

3. Regarding window quality, which is typically considered to be the higher quality brand between Simonton and Amerimax? What brands have higher quality than these two? (by quality, I am referring to strength, longevity, trouble free operation, energy efficiency, etc.

TheWindowNerd

Re: fact vs sales hype

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

1. With vinyl it is a laminate foil or polyester. Some CPVC windows have a textured interior and cam be stained, similar to fiberglass doors with a gel stain.
InLine fiberglass has a real red oak laminate. All the above seem very long term.

2. Because of the altitude the windows will have capilary tubes. Not sure of any studies about the argon retention with that set up. My thoughts are not to worry about the argon as long as you get the right low e.

3. Many years ago Simonton 5500 was my preferred offering. I became very concerned about total performance and have switched to Okna/HiMark, Softlite, and Sunrise, all having far superior test results and real world function.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jomendol

#3 Post by jomendol »

I also have a question about durability. I live in a hot southwest climate and I wonder how well vinyl or fiberglass windows will hold up year after year on my western facing side of the house. They get a lot of sunlight and heat through most of the day. Salespeople tend too be a little to assuring that it won't be a problem even though I've seen a lot of damage done to those materials here.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

One of my most respected associates does windows in TX, Randy says you need premium vinyl with sash reinforcement, that and excellent installation and all is fine.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Vinyl can be used in that climate, but high quality is a MUST to avoid issues.