Can replacement windows be installed like new construction

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
AliInBaltimore

Can replacement windows be installed like new construction

#1 Post by AliInBaltimore »

Is there any technical reason preventing a replacement window to be installed like a new construction window? Say if I want to match all the windows in my house, but want one window to have a full frame replacement?

Windows on Washington

Re: Can replacement windows be installed like new construction

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends on the application. You need to expose the sheathing in order to set in a new construction (i.e. nailing flange equip) window.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

If you want them to match it is best to build your own frame then install the insert as normal. The technical reason would be no nail fin.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

As the other guys said, the nail fin is the primary difference in what you are talking about. Some additional detail about what you are actually proposing to do (or not do) here would be helpful in giving more advice. IE: are you trying to get the same look but without having to rip siding off, or did you accidentally order replacement windows sized for full tear-outs? ... There are ways of working with this for a watertight seal, just need to know that exact detail. Pics help as well.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You do not need a nailing fin to use a replacement window as a new construction window.
Based on your post it sounds like you want to replace one frame. Why?
You don't even have to build a frame or buck. You can install the window directly into the RO or MO then finish the inside as desired.
If your other windows have classic wood brick molding you can add that to the unit that was a full tear out in several ways.

TheWindowNerd

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

In my honest opinion there are two types of installations. The insert unit which will fit into an existing frame or a Full Frame replacement when you replace it down to the studs. There are other methods installers will argue about but I live with this rule. If I do an insert it's going inside an existing frame and won't require much tear out. The DH & SH are the two most common inserts. The Casement & Picture window are next. The slider and multiple unit only if we can do a good job. Some I just won't touch unless I do a full frame R&R.

I feel a full frame replacement must have a nail fin or exterior Brickmould. Otherwise it's an insert window which will leak somewhere guaranteed. Don't ever think you're doing a good full frame replacement with out these. I would also never use the dreaded snap on nail fin. You're asking for problems there! If I do a full frame I do a new construction application with siding removal or cutback. If I cutback Steel, Aluminum I always apply new J-Bead to match. I install a window with Brickmould or Custom product like HardiePlank, or a Veranda like product. I also supply a new interior Jamb Box with new casing. I get them stained or painted to match the interior. With all the lawsuits out there chasing us installers I won't change my standards. I will only use existing trim or casing parts if the house has Historical Rules applied. But I work very closely with any Historical Society requiring certain parameters. This does add a bigger price tag but it gives my customers the best installation possible. Plus it brings everything I do up to code here. I lose jobs but I never worry about a poor install. Being in this industry since 1974 has made me much wiser. I've gotten picky in my old age. But I know I'm giving my customers the best installation possible!
As for answering your question I totally believe you can do a new construction application anywhere. You better know what your doing and you better measure wisely. If you have an older style window with standard Brickmould you can order another to fit back in if you know how to measure. I've done it so many times now it's a no brainer. But I get the occasional one that will test my skills. My manufacturer also makes me a window that will work. A vinyl window with a vinyl Brickmould and sill that matches the old style windows. The Brickmould has a removable cap that allows us to fasten the window with three inch screws tight to the exterior wallboard. We can tape and caulk to get the best seal. We can also apply the standard Tyvek type housewrap and guarantee a no leak application. The cap covers up the outside and the new jamb box nails up in minutes. Four good installers can do 40-50 windows a day easily. If you've never done this before or you don't have anybody who has..... I wouldn't attempt it! It's not worth eating a window because it won't fit. Good Luck!!!

AliInBaltimore

#7 Post by AliInBaltimore »

Thanks for all the information. I don't understand everything you guys wrote yet, but usually it sinks in after a while.

I had all my windows replaced recently with OKNAs. The bottom part of the frame for one of the basement windows sits below grade. (The foundation is a foot below grade on that side.) I originally requested a full frame replacement on that window. The installers told me they would check during the installation if the full frame replacement was necessary. (They deemed it was not necessary during the install.)

I posted here because I was a confused on many points. I thought full frame replacements should be sized larger than regular replacements, so how were they going to decide on-the-fly and use the same window? I've also read online in two places where window installers prefer new construction windows over replacement windows. These installers talk of removing the siding (and maybe even flashing), but I didn't get the sense that a full frame replacement was as involved.

I'm monitoring that window area in my basement for many months now. A blower door test showed quite a bit of air leaking from around that area. At least there haven't been any moisture issues thus far. If there's an uncomfortable draft from that area in the winter, I would want to order the same style replacement window, and try and have it installed in a new construction manner. I just want to make sure I understand exactly what that means, though.