Window World help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Bilious

Window World help

#1 Post by Bilious »

Thanks in advance for the help. My fiancée and I have gotten quotes from Pella and Anderson that are ridiculously high. We now have one from Window World in Indianapolis that seems reasonable, but I'd really like your opinion.
Our house was built in 1986 and currently has the original aluminum Windows. Our quote includes replacement of 6 normal (approx 36x58) windows, a large picture window, the smaller window above it, and a slider in the kitchen. The master bath would be special in that it would be an acrylic block window. All windows would be their Series 4000 double pane double hung windows with half screens, solarzone glass, argon gas, custom exterior trim color and white inside/beige outside. The slider is 6' and has the same glass and colors.
The total quote installed including cleanup fees is $6200.

First, is that a reasonable price? Second, am I missing any important information? They claim 8 weeks to order and get them installed. I don't have any experience with this vendor.

Thanks again.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Window World help

#2 Post by masterext »

The window world 4000 is their so called mid level. Mid level to window world and mid level to me are not in the same galaxy. Be that as it may, im am sure you researched this board and saw why no one here endorses window world ?
If someone only cares about price then its a good option. If someone wants quality, its not a good option.
Last edited by masterext on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

Masterext is right, there are much better options and they'll be priced between the two extremes that you've seen so far.

For vinyl windows, look for dealers for the following brands: Soft-lite, Okna, Sunrise.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Have to echo what the other posters said. There is probably a happy middle ground between what you looked at on either end of the spectrum with a really great product.

Bilious

#5 Post by Bilious »

Thank you for the replies. Just so I understand, is it that the Alside Excalibur (which seems to be their Series 4000) is an inferior product, or is the installation the problem? I've heard they don't pay their installers well and that this could cause some issues.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the Soft-lite, Okna, or Sunrise in the Indianapolis area?

Thanks again.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

There is plenty of info on the boards here as well as other sites about that outfit and product, so I won't comment on that specifically.
That said, typically a low price is due to a low quality product, AND low quality install. If you think about it, why would a company choose to offer a good product and then a "cut-rate" installation? Conversely, why would they pay for an excellent craftsman to install a poor product? Neither of those makes any sense.
If you are able to determine that a given vendor offers either a top quality product OR installation job, that is typically a good indicator that the other side of the equation will be pretty good as well.... Of course there are exceptions to the rule, however it is still more common than not in my experience.

TC7900

#7 Post by TC7900 »

I wouldn't pay more than $400 for a Window World Mezzo(4000series) window. If your budget can only afford that kind of price range go for it but if you can pay a little more I would look into something of better quality. Maybe an Okna 500 or a Softlite imperial ls. I'm sure you can find those windows in the $500-600 range

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

That window is fine for rentals and flips, but for a homeowner looking to improve their home in regards to energy performance, operation, and appearance, I can't recommend it. Don't get me started about the labor aspect for these window franchises.

Bilious

#9 Post by Bilious »

Thank you all for the replies. I'm currently working with a vendor to install Okna 500DX windows and an Okna Elegante patio door. The price is right, and they are MUCH nicer windows. Also, the company has a great local reputation, and they have their own installers.