Soft-Lite Pro or Okna Insul-Tec delemma

Questions about functions or posting
SLB

Soft-Lite Pro or Okna Insul-Tec delemma

#1 Post by SLB »

Greetings,
I have detailed quotes from 4 companies to replace 25 double hung windows, 2 sliding patio doors, and cladding all the remaining trim of my 25 year old town house. All have good reputations according to Ange’s List and BBB. I am trying to maximize the amount of glass but not the strength. I have narrowed it down to either Soft-Lite Imperial Pro or OKNA Insul-Tec 500 without foam. Please give me your advice so I can purchase the right windows and doors.
Thank you in advance for your help.Here is the list of windows I have looked at:

Sunrise Verde windows, Verde doors, and replacing all rotted wood. $26,490

Simonton 5500 windows, Atrium doors, and replacing all rotted wood. $23,120

OKNA 500 windows, OKNA doors, but replacing all rotted wood at an additional cost. $21,494

Soft-Lite Pro windows, Sunview Buckingham doors, and replacing all rotted wood. $20,026

Windows on Washington

Re: Soft-Lite Pro or Okna Insul-Tec delemma

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

No comparison here in my mind.

While the Soft-Lite Pro is a good window, the Okna 500 is certainly 7% better (price comparison). The other two aren't worthy of comparison if they are more expensive than either of those.

The 500 should give you better thermal and air tightness numbers too.

Pretty simple decision in my mind.

SLB

#3 Post by SLB »

WOW thanks for advice.
I contacted both companies and got these numbers; U Factor, SHGC, Air Infiltration, Visible Transmittance, Condensation Resistance,and DP.

Okna 0.27, 0.30, 0.02, 0.55, 62, 50.

Soft Lite 0.27, 0.30, 0.07, 0.54, 58, 50.

What makes Okna better than Soft Lite? Is the energy savings of AI 0.05 significant? I am not disagreeing, just trying to understand.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Soft-Lite Pro in this case appears to be outfitted with a foam fill if I am not mistaken.

If the Okna is equip similarly, the U-Factor drops to a 0.25.

At that point, you have a window that is about 10% more thermally resistant, 3.5X more airtight (both are very good but if we are doing a comparative this is the number), gives you more visible light (bonus), 7% better CR, and some might think a better looking window but that is purely opinion.

If I get all that for a 7% premium over the Soft-Lite, seems like the math works there.