Pella Rolscreen

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
mrsf

Pella Rolscreen

#1 Post by mrsf »

I have a sliding glass door with a rolscreen in it. The screen has a little plastic thing at the bottom and perhaps another at the top and they have broken over the years and now the screen does not function well. Pella gives me two options---having them come out and diagnose it for $125 and then coming back again for $125 to fix it OR to buy a new rolscreen unit. They told me that if I could send a photo of the part that is broken then it would take one visit to correct but if there is something else wrong then they would charge the two separate service fees. I think this is a ripoff and I feel as if I could fix it myself as I am pretty handy but I cannot find the right instructions online. Any ideas for me? Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Pella Rolscreen

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would send them all the pictures that you can and hopefully have them diagnose it via those communications and fix it with one visit.

Did they offer to sell the parts to you?

What about this feels like a ripoff? I am not being critical, just trying to get insight into your statement.

Screens take a beating and should not be a warranty covered item in my opinion either way.

mrsf

#3 Post by mrsf »

Typically when I pay for a service call for any appliance, etc., I am charged for the first service call and if they don't have the parts available, they come back to fix it and don't charge me a 2nd service call. (She wants to charge $125 for each visit and then also for the repair above that) Also, I don't understand why they wouldn't just bring the parts for the rolscreen in the first place. She wants me to tell her which part(s) are broken and I clearly know one plastic part is broken but I don't know if there are any more mechanisms inside the screen such as a wheel which could also be broken without taking it down. Pretty sure there are typical parts that break in these screens because the wood frame has plastic at the bottom and perhaps the top so I would assume those are vulnerable points. She seemed more intent on just selling me a completely new rolscreen unit but has not come up with a price yet. I am very handy so I thought I might just be able to fix it myself but they are not very helpful in finding the right parts for me to do it. I may end up taking the rolscreeen apart and seeing if I can find the parts on my own or perhaps find something else that would work. These screens are very problematic in the way they close--when guests are over, they often fumble with the latches and are surprised when it snaps back and that causes wear and tear. However, I do love that there is no screen visible through the window.

edited to add: I also am not expecting any warrantee on the screen. Willing to pay but seems like way too much uncertainty in how they will charge me.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Look for a serial number on the door and that should narrow the search a bit.

mrsf

#5 Post by mrsf »

Thank you so much--that is great information. Today I got a quote for $750 for a new rolscreen. That seems truly excessive. I'll fix it myself or take it out I think. I appreciate your replies.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I'm not certain where they are on the Pellas but probably check the head jamb of the frame or look for a glass etching.

mrsf

#7 Post by mrsf »

Okay, I will let you know where I find it for your future reference. Thanks so much for your advice.

mrsf

#8 Post by mrsf »

I found it on the glass door in the lower corner. This was helpful info on this link as well :
http://www.pella.com/support-center-med ... doors.aspx When the weather improves, I'll get my tools out!

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like a plan. Post up some pictures when you do the repairs. I am sure other browsers would appreciate the insight.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Pellas rolscreen on sliding doors has had a couple of changes over the years.
I would ask them to come fully loaded to handle any minor part repair and do the one service only.
At $750, actually less you can get a better Phantom screen installed.

mrsf

#11 Post by mrsf »

Interestingly enough, there was not an option to come prepared to replace any parts with a rolscreen on hand just in case. It really felt like they could care less and wanted us to pay the $750 and be done with it. The only other thing they offered was to have a regular sliding screen door installed which we won't do. Right now I've jerryrigged the rolscreen to stay in place but it won't last through a family picnic with lots of people in and out so we will keep the slider closed then. Until I figure out how to take it down (no time at the present) and really delve into it, I guess that will do. Thank you for replying--so curious to hear that a newer phantom screen would be less expensive.