Recommendations in Dallas?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Dagobah

Recommendations in Dallas?

#1 Post by Dagobah »

Looking to replace the windows in our '59 house here in Dallas. We just got our first quote using Burris windows with the loe-366 option. The price was ok, but I saw some comments here suggesting that we might be able to find a better product.

Wondering what other windows/contractors we should consider?

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Recommendations in Dallas?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would wait for Randy to post up, but Soft-Lite Imperial LS is out in those parts as is Don Young's thermally broken aluminum.

Both are solid options.

Dagobah

#3 Post by Dagobah »

Windows on Washington wrote:I would wait for Randy to post up, but Soft-Lite Imperial LS is out in those parts as is Don Young's thermally broken aluminum.

Both are solid options.
Thanks! I spent last night going through old threads. Tons of great info on here. I saw both Soft-Lite and Don Young al mentioned a few times. Also have some more questions:

1. I had been planning on a mid-grade vinyl window, but after seeing this comment viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4573 about Texas heat, it has me wondering. We definitely plan on staying in the house more than 7 years. What's the typical cost difference between mid-grade and premium vinyl? (Our first quote came out to an average of $435/window using Burris loe-366 windows.)

2. I found a strong recommendation for contractor Brennan Enterprises locally, although I don't see Soft-Lite or Don Young listed. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5617 Any other contractors I should consider?

3. A lot of houses in our neighborhood have had windows replaced--and I dislike the look of a lot of them, but I can't put my finger on why. It's especially apparent in a 3-window configuration. It just looks like there's a lot of material/spacers between each window. We have the same 3-windows in the front of our house. 1 single hung on each side of a picture window. How do I tell a good looking window from bad?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. Can't comment on price intelligently for that market.
2. Not familiar with those guys. Might be better to start with the window manufacturers and see who they have in network.
3. A replacement window, done as an insert, will net you a bit more frame dimension and exposure as compared to the original unit if we are talking about a wood window.

I think you are fine with a well engineer vinyl unit that has a good DP number and/or some reinforcement in it.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been out of the country.

I highly recommend Don Young's thermally-broken aluminum windows, however, they no longer meet Energy Star recommendations for your zone, so be aware of that. They may sweat some in the winter as well.

For vinyl, I'd look for Soft-lite or Sunrise. As a mid-grade, NT or Simonton (with optional reinforcement) would be better options in my opinion than the brand you were quoted.

Dagobah

#6 Post by Dagobah »

Randy wrote:For vinyl, I'd look for Soft-lite or Sunrise. As a mid-grade, NT or Simonton (with optional reinforcement) would be better options in my opinion than the brand you were quoted.
Thanks for the reply. Just had a quote for NT windows in both Presidential and Traditions line. The price was about $100/window higher over Burris windows for the Presidental. However I liked both the NT window and this contractor a bit more.

I only see one contractor who carries Soft-Lite in DFW. There appear to be a few who carry Sunrise. What would these windows offer over the NT? (I'm not sure what defines a mid-level vinyl vs premium)

Thanks again!

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

Tighter tolerances for lower Air Leakage ratings, better warranty, lower U-Values to do foam filling in frames and composite reinforcement vs. metal reinforcement. If you're happy with the NT windows, it might be the right choice. Both the Presidential and Traditions are far better choices than the first quote you got.

Both Soft-lite and Sunrise will be more expensive.

Dagobah

#8 Post by Dagobah »

Randy wrote:Tighter tolerances for lower Air Leakage ratings, better warranty, lower U-Values to do foam filling in frames and composite reinforcement vs. metal reinforcement. If you're happy with the NT windows, it might be the right choice. Both the Presidential and Traditions are far better choices than the first quote you got.

Both Soft-lite and Sunrise will be more expensive.
Can you recommend any Soft-lite or Sunrise dealers in DFW? I haven't been able to see them locally. Would like to compare before we pull the trigger on the NT.

Also, just had another quote on the NT windows. This dealer was pushing the Alside Mezzo w/ upgraded glass package a bit more. Said they'd have some quality issues with the NT's lately. The Alside's frame did seem a bit more reinforced on the cross section and the performance seems similar. How would you say the Mezzo compares? The price was slightly cheaper on the Mezzo.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Plenty of threads about the Mezzo on here and other forums. Not sure that would be my first choice for a hot climate.

If you are looking at the Soft-Lite, stay with either the Imperial LS or the Elements.

Dagobah

#10 Post by Dagobah »

Windows on Washington wrote:Plenty of threads about the Mezzo on here and other forums. Not sure that would be my first choice for a hot climate.

If you are looking at the Soft-Lite, stay with either the Imperial LS or the Elements.
Yea, I hadn't seen the Alside rec'd before here. Although did remember seeing QC concerns mentioned on NT before.

Only looks like there are 3 soft-lite dealers in town, none of which seem to have a ton of ratings. I'll try calling what appears to be the best one.