Old trim doesn't fit my new replacement window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Steve Neumann

Old trim doesn't fit my new replacement window

#1 Post by Steve Neumann »

Recently had a Parco window replacement installed. Now the trim boards don't fit. This trim is probably 30+ years old and will need to be custom made really jacking up the cost above the estimate I was given. Did my contractor miss measure? What are my options?

Windows on Washington

Re: Old trim doesn't fit my new replacement window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tough to tell Steve without seeing it. What type of install was it?

Steve Neumann

#3 Post by Steve Neumann »

Windows on Washington wrote:Tough to tell Steve without seeing it. What type of install was it?
The contractor has handled all of it. The inside trim across the top and bottom comes up about a 1/2 inch short to fit properly over the new window. There is another window and door very close that has the same trim so to keep everything consistent he is looking at having new trim made, but the mill wants $100's to just set up plus other costs. On top of that we need to do a paint match. This is a 3 section window with crank outs on both ends. Was this a custom window? Took a month to get it from the time it was ordered.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

pretty much all windows are custom ordered these days... As WoW said, a pic could help determine if it was mis-measured.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Did the contractor say/quote that the existing trim would be able to be reused?
If these were inserts there should not have been a problem. If they were full framed units they would have to be measured differently than one would normally. These problems or potential problems should have been discussed up front.