Simonton vs. BF Rich vs. Softlite and Price

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
NOC63

Simonton vs. BF Rich vs. Softlite and Price

#1 Post by NOC63 »

Hi, I am in the process of obtaining quotes for replacement windows for my home. I have a contemporary style look on the house and, as such, it seems to only accept sliders. All of my current windows are builder grade, 2-part slides, with the exception of the front picture window which is a 3-part slider. The windows are 22 years old and pretty crappy and aluminum I think. Here are the sizes I am dealing with:
Basement Window (57 3/8”W x 45 7/8”H)
2.Master Bath (69 5/8”W x 22”H)
3.Master Bedroom (69 ¾”W x 58”H)
4.Purple Bedroom (57 ¾”W x 46 ¼”H)
5.Blue Bedroom (57 ¾”W x 46 ¼”H)
6.Brown Bedroom (57 ¾”W x 46”H)
7.Living Room (69 ¾”W x 58 ¼”H) - 3 part
8.Dining Room (33 ¾”W x 58H)
9.Dining Room (57 ¾”W x 58”H)
10.Kitchen (45 3/4”W x 34”H)
11.Family Room (69 ½”W x 58”H)
12.Family Room (L) (45 ¾”W x 58 ¼”H)
13. Family Room (R) (45 ¾”W x 58”H)
14. Laundry Room (33 ¾”W x 46 ¼”H)
15.Garage (45 5/8”W x 46”H)
16.Half Round (33 3/4”W x 17 ¼”H)

I have had two quotes so far. One installer uses primarily Soft-Lite and has priced out Soft-Lite Imperial and BF Rich Cabernet. The Soft-Lite install is running about $11,600 and the BF Rich is running $10,500.

The second installer only uses Simonton and has quoted me the Simonton Asure for $6500.

I am at a loss for what to do. I can't really get good reviews on the Simonton or BF Rich. I especially can't get much info on sliders. I feel like the price per window is high but my windows are very large.

I really need some opinions! Help!

Christine

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Simonton vs. BF Rich vs. Softlite and Price

#2 Post by masterext »

I was never a fan if simonton for a variety of reasons, but its a pretty decent mid grade i suppose.
BF Rich is a window that is ok but the pocket sill is a deal breaker.
The Soft Lite imperial on th other hand, is a very good window and your pricing seems very reasonable.

NOC63

#3 Post by NOC63 »

Thanks for your response.

Based on what I have so far, I'm leaning toward the Soft-Lite Imperial LS, but in reading around this forum I almost feel like the estimate is high. However, most people seem to be getting double hung and I don't know if sliders (wide at that) make a difference.

I have been reading about these Okna windows and wondering if I should get yet another quote.

It's very tiring though... :?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

NOC63 wrote:Thanks for your response.

Based on what I have so far, I'm leaning toward the Soft-Lite Imperial LS, but in reading around this forum I almost feel like the estimate is high. However, most people seem to be getting double hung and I don't know if sliders (wide at that) make a difference.

I have been reading about these Okna windows and wondering if I should get yet another quote.

It's very tiring though... :?
Getting a quote from an okna dealer certainly wouldnt hurt, they make a very nice window.
Not sure what state you are in or which part of the state you are in, but okna should have a dealer in your area.

NOC63

#5 Post by NOC63 »

I'm in Northern Virginia, if that helps. I see Windows on Washington posts here frequently. I guess because they had such a visible web presence, I was worried they were like Thompson Creek or something. High prices and pressure.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Price doesn't seem out of the normal range. There are many things that will impact that as far as options and installation details as well, so it can be difficult to compare to a price that someone else posted online. The real apples to apples comparison would be another quote. The Okna line is a product that competes with the Imperial LS/Elements, and actually favorably so in several areas.

On the installer, you definitely should call Windows on Washington. They are NOT high pressure and high price. Not to say that they are the cheapest in town either, however everything that they offer is top notch, and priced fairly and competitively. Those other guys (high pressure/ high price) are marketing machines where everyone is treated like a number, and they don't have the time or the knowledge to contribute to forums such as this. I know the owners of WOW personally and could not recommend anyone more highly.

Be sure to reference where and how you heard about them if you give them a ring. You may want to ask for Eric directly here as well.

NOC63

#7 Post by NOC63 »

HomeSealed wrote:Price doesn't seem out of the normal range. There are many things that will impact that as far as options and installation details as well, so it can be difficult to compare to a price that someone else posted online. The real apples to apples comparison would be another quote. The Okna line is a product that competes with the Imperial LS/Elements, and actually favorably so in several areas.

On the installer, you definitely should call Windows on Washington. They are NOT high pressure and high price. Not to say that they are the cheapest in town either, however everything that they offer is top notch, and priced fairly and competitively. Those other guys (high pressure/ high price) are marketing machines where everyone is treated like a number, and they don't have the time or the knowledge to contribute to forums such as this. I know the owners of WOW personally and could not recommend anyone more highly.

Be sure to reference where and how you heard about them if you give them a ring. You may want to ask for Eric directly here as well.
Thanks, just requested an estimate.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm not a BF Rich or Simonton fan. Very dated products in general. The Assure is a low-grade budget window. WOW would be the very best option for you.

Sliders can be leaky in terms of air penetration. You want to get a well engineered product with lots of weatherstripping like that of the OKNA or SL platforms married with expert installation.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

All of the brands listed as well as all sliders will be pocket sills.
Most of those sizes would work as casements or double-hungs, casements and usually double-hungs are more air tight, both of these would cost more than sliders as well.Double-hungs may not be allowed in bedrooms due to egress though.

wdccruise

#10 Post by wdccruise »

Amateur here. :)

Because our 1980's condominium building is in the Dupont Historic District, we are prohibited from installing vinyl windows and have had to search for an alternative material. We selected Enerlux fiberglass windows for our project. Enerlux manufactures slider windows but strongly recommends casements or awnings because they are more energy efficient.

I've noticed that some modern residential buildings in DC are being built with fixed (or picture) windows over awning windows. Not only does this configuration reduce the amount of window "clutter", it also improves the view since the fixed portions of the windows do not need screens. Enerlux also make a "low-profile" frame for fixed windows but I don't know whether a fixed window with that frame can be combined with an awning (or whether that would look awkward).

Dark color window frames can look very attractive on a modern buildings.

Windows on Washington which serves NoVA is willing to work on our Enerlux window project even thought it normally doesn't service DC.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

You got one of the best, you won't see any post, "did my installer do this right" with them.