Alside Mezzo vs Simonton 50/50 vs ?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
LocalHero

Alside Mezzo vs Simonton 50/50 vs ?

#1 Post by LocalHero »

Hi all,
I'm needing to replace 17 windows in a duplex I recently bought. I'm looking for inexpensive replacement windows and came across the Alside Mezzo which I'd never heard of before. Locally, they're about the same price as the Simonton 50/50's and I think they have more glass surface and possibly they're energy star rated while the 50/50's aren't. (not sure but I think that's what sales at ABC Supply said).
I'm open to other low cost options though I've never seen Softlite around here (Charleston, SC). I know they're a forum favorite. On the coast, I'd need to use DP50 rated windows too.

It's an easy install on a single story building and I'm a carpenter so I'd be installing them myself unless someone gives me an excellent price on the install that I can't resist.

Thanks!

toddinmn

Re: Alside Mezzo vs Simonton 50/50 vs ?

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Soft-Lite and Kensington are available at ABC's in Mpls area. They do not push them here at all, so you may have to ask a salesperson.

LocalHero

#3 Post by LocalHero »

toddinmn wrote:Soft-Lite and Kensington are available at ABC's in Mpls area. They do not push them here at all, so you may have to ask a salesperson.
The ABC here in Charleston seems to have a new window guy everytime I go in. This one today had never even heard of Soft-Lite.
The one guy who carries them down here wants $100 more per window vs the Alside or Simonton. I realize they're better windows but I'm reluctant to spend another $1,700 on a $2,700 window package.

So, if it were the Simonton 50/50's or the Alside Mezzo at the same price... or is there still another brand at that price point to consider?

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

If those are your only two options, I’d recommend going with Simonton. While they are thicker frames, and it’s an older design, Simonton’s reputation for stepping up to the plate when warranty issues arise is far superior to the other company.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

LocalHero, is that user name a reference to the fantastic soundtrack by Mark Knoffler? Not a fan of those two options as it's like bowling with an alley ball. Wish I lived within driving distance as I'd set you up with something better out of pure mercy. The 50/50 frame is probably stronger extrusion wise.

LocalHero

#6 Post by LocalHero »

Delaware Mike wrote:LocalHero, is that user name a reference to the fantastic soundtrack by Mark Knoffler? Not a fan of those two options as it's like bowling with an alley ball. Wish I lived within driving distance as I'd set you up with something better out of pure mercy. The 50/50 frame is probably stronger extrusion wise.
:lol: It's a longer story but Local Hero was a name I was given when I saved a dog's life at a dog park. (maybe less exciting than you were hoping for)

Looking at window suppliers around here, there's also Plygem, Pella, the stuff Lowes and HD carry, Kolbe... none of them have a low priced line worth looking into?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

LocalHero wrote: :lol: It's a longer story but Local Hero was a name I was given when I saved a dog's life at a dog park. (maybe less exciting than you were hoping for)

Looking at window suppliers around here, there's also Plygem, Pella, the stuff Lowes and HD carry, Kolbe... none of them have a low priced line worth looking into?
Nothing wrong with that. As a percentage, there are probably more good dogs than people out there.

I would also be hard pressed to think that if dogs were nominating a President to represent the nation of dogs, that they would come up with two dogs like the two folks we nominated.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

Perhaps try a different ABC branch?
Ply-Gems upper series is ok, they should be available at ABC as well.