Soft-Lite windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Jakester

Soft-Lite windows

#1 Post by Jakester »

I am looking to replace my windows in my house probably next spring and Soft-Lite windows are on the top of my list right now due to reasonably priced and recommended brand by a lot of people but I read this review from someone and wondered if anyone here had anything bad experiences with their windows?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/26 ... -installer

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Soft-Lite windows

#2 Post by masterext »

Jakester wrote:I am looking to replace my windows in my house probably next spring and Soft-Lite windows are on the top of my list right now due to reasonably priced and recommended brand by a lot of people but I read this review from someone and wondered if anyone here had anything bad experiences with their windows?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/26 ... -installer
You only found one complaint and it was from 2011. I think you have your answer.
If you dig harder perhaps you will find another complaint from the 1800's. Lol

Jakester

#3 Post by Jakester »

I wasn't trying to dig up complaints / bad reviews or anything like that just came across that post and was a little surprised that he had that many issues out of 18 windows. I know stuff happens and I was just wondering if anyone here had any issues of any kind.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

In today's information age, you can find bad info on every single company.

Jakester

#5 Post by Jakester »

I totally agree! Would you guys say Soft-Lite Barrington window is better than something like Simonton 5500?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Jakester wrote:I totally agree! Would you guys say Soft-Lite Barrington window is better than something like Simonton 5500?
Jakester, you already asked a thousand questions that are basically all the same. You have to make your own decision on what window to get. You know how we feel about each window. Good luck.

Jakester

#7 Post by Jakester »

Honestly i am very sorry about that! I guess I should have made myself clear when I posted what I was looking for. Before I came to this forum I never really heard of Soft-Lite, Sunrise, Okna windows. I heard of Simonton, Pella, Alside ect. and before I go ahead and spend $5000 on windows I would like to make sure I am getting the best window for the price. Problem is my budget is $300 per window and I know for that prices I can't get anything high end.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Jake,

Stick to U-Factor, Air Infiltration, and DP as a performance matrix for evaluation.

Examine those and you will hopefully land on a good window.

Anything from Soft-Lite, Sunrise, Okna, and some of the upper end lines is going to serve you well.

Jakester

#9 Post by Jakester »

Thanks! That is one of the things that I have learned while being on this forum to look at these numbers although I don't know where to draw the line. I was at a ABC Supply store and the store manger there told me oh U factor around .30 is good enough, he said you don't need to spend the extra money for something lower than that because you don't get your money's worth and to me that sounded like a false / BS statement.

What would you guys say in your professional advice would be the minimum for the following that I should set for? I know it's all about what I want to spend but I am looking for the best bang for the buck.

Where would you draw the line for decent / good U-factor, DP and Air Filtration?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is the home again?

Jakester

#11 Post by Jakester »

Lititz, PA 17543. Again I am willing to drive a few hours if i find a good deal.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't think that triple pane is overkill for this area to be honest. It gets pretty cold up in PA.

Jakester

#13 Post by Jakester »

triple pane would be nice but it won't work within my budget, trying to stay at $300 per window.

WindowsDirectCinci

#14 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Jakester wrote:Thanks! That is one of the things that I have learned while being on this forum to look at these numbers although I don't know where to draw the line. I was at a ABC Supply store and the store manger there told me oh U factor around .30 is good enough, he said you don't need to spend the extra money for something lower than that because you don't get your money's worth and to me that sounded like a false / BS statement.

What would you guys say in your professional advice would be the minimum for the following that I should set for? I know it's all about what I want to spend but I am looking for the best bang for the buck.

Where would you draw the line for decent / good U-factor, DP and Air Filtration?
So the supply house guy says you don't need an energy star window? This is another reason to contact a professional window installer/dealer, the box stores and supply house don't have a clue when it comes to windows. It's vinyl, double pane and $130 how many do you want... .27 is minimum for north so I would at least go with that. If your budget is $300 per window I would suggest financing another $150-$200 per window. In this range you'd be more likely to get a decent product and decent installation. At $300 your going to be missing at least one of the two most likely both.

Jakester

#15 Post by Jakester »

I know you can't trust the big box stores as they don't know much about the important details of the product that they sell.

M budget is $300 per window uninstalled of course since I will be installing myself. The thing is I have 17 windows and since I don't plan to live in this house more than 10 years I don't want to spend more than I have too.