New installation - water dripping

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rendawindow

New installation - water dripping

#1 Post by rendawindow »

Hello, I apologize if my question is too elementary for this forum. We have had new windows installed and on one window water is dripping (half a cup in 2 hours, heavy rain). I was wondering if caulking is sufficient to fix this problem or if is there could be something wrong with the installation? Or in other words if the window is installed properly how much dripping there would be without any caulking? Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: New installation - water dripping

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is the water coming in?

Can you post up a picture?

rendawindow

#3 Post by rendawindow »

it is coming from the top

do I need to have the picture online or is it somehow possible to attach it to my post?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Was that piece of wood that is directly above the window installed at the same time.

Looks to me as if an installer did a retrofit and cut through the flange without addressing the considerable water management deficiencies of that type of siding.

The trim, window, and install need to be done over in this case.

I would call you installer and exterior caulking is not a suitable "fix" here.

rendawindow

#6 Post by rendawindow »

https://www.snapfish.com/library/share? ... 0/SNAPFISH

Thank you for your input.

I added several pictures showing exterior more clearly. It is the window with the black strip showing on top of the trim. The leak is in the corner shown. Interestingly on this particular window there was no caulking done above the trim. I assume that that would be the fix the window installer will propose.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

rendawindow wrote:https://www.snapfish.com/library/share? ... 0/SNAPFISH

Thank you for your input.

I added several pictures showing exterior more clearly. It is the window with the black strip showing on top of the trim. The leak is in the corner shown. Interestingly on this particular window there was no caulking done above the trim. I assume that that would be the fix the window installer will propose.
The work looks a little sloppy/unprofessional.
There should be a drip cap installed at the top where the grey trim meets the brown siding. Caulk may fix it but it probably not last .
Did they install the casing around the window?
I have doubts that they can fix the problem after seeing there work. Cauking would be a band-aid and as WOW alluded this would require surgery.

rendawindow

#8 Post by rendawindow »

thanks, I unfortunately did not watch them, so I dont know if casing was installed

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

They need to haul their butts back to the install in this case and fix this. I am not sure they are the best resource here, however, because of the sub-standard method that it was installed to begin with.

Anthony A Bobo

#10 Post by Anthony A Bobo »

rendawindow wrote:Hello, I apologize if my question is too elementary for this forum. We have had new windows installed and on one window water is dripping (half a cup in 2 hours, heavy rain). I was wondering if caulking is sufficient to fix this problem or if is there could be something wrong with the installation? Or in other words if the window is installed properly how much dripping there would be without any caulking? Thank you!
I think its because the windows were not properly installed. If it was properly installed then there would not have been the problem of water leaking. now what you can do is get the help of a good window replacement company. They would help you to sort out the problem.