Replacing windows and have questions

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
msujohn

Replacing windows and have questions

#1 Post by msujohn »

I'm currently doing my research on replacing my windows in my house. I currently have casement windows (all wood) and need to replace half of them. I live in a west suburb of Chicago. I hoping that I can get some recommendations on reputable places to buy and get my windows installed. At this point, I have been looking (online) at either Marvin Integrity(Ultrex/wood), Infinity or Anderson 400 series. I don't want/need to get the best of the best, but I don't want to get a very low end window either. I really want an energy efficient window.

Are there any other brands that I should consider?
Any good window showrooms that I should visit in the Chicago land?
What about installers, any recommendations?

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacing windows and have questions

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you are most concerned with efficiency, I think you will find that vinyl offerings occupy more of the market sector than any other material out there. If that is your focus, I suggest you shift your search to that material.

msujohn

#3 Post by msujohn »

Windows on Washington wrote:If you are most concerned with efficiency, I think you will find that vinyl offerings occupy more of the market sector than any other material out there. If that is your focus, I suggest you shift your search to that material.
I will certainly go look at the vinyl options as well. Coming from an all wood windows, I worry on what the vinyl windows look like. What are the top of the line vinyl windows I should look at? I've read about Okna and soft-lite. What levels should I target? What other brands should I consider. We plan to spend sometime this weekend looking at windows at a few showrooms.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Very good advice above. You will find that you will likely need to prioritize what you value more: The look and feel of real wood, or energy efficiency and most of the other things that tilt toward vinyl like lower cost, less maintenance, better warranty, etc. Vinyl makes a VERY compelling case if the appearance is suitable for your taste... As far as product, those two are very good. Personally, I think that Okna and Sunrise are probably the most aesthetically appealing vinyl windows on the market, and both are in the upper echelon of performance as well.