Help choosing window style for a large opening of 4th story

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Medellin Expat

Help choosing window style for a large opening of 4th story

#1 Post by Medellin Expat »

Hello, I recently purchased an apartment on the top floor of a 4-story corner property in Medellin, Colombia. The other owners of the building rejected my request to convert my two windows into balconies. The opening is approximately 7 feet wide by 6 feet high. I would like advice on which window style would provide the largest opening to the street below. Is there an awning style window that would open completely or almost completely out with just a slight slant, leaving a large opening and view to the street below? Alternatively, would a 2-wing (not sure of terminology) window or door style window work, where the two wings open inwardly? Sound insulation is a very important part of either design. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Help choosing window style for a large opening of 4th story

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a huge opening. There is nothing in a conventional family of window products that will work as a singular operator there.

At that size, a door or a large 2-Lite Slider with some sort of fixed unit above or below is your best bet.

I will confess that I am not totally sure as to what is available in your market. Window styles and materials are definitely regional in nature.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Bifold windows like what you might see in a resteruant would give you compltetopening
LaCatina, Panda are just two mfg. Andersen and Pella and probably Marvin all have bought companies that do these type of doors/windows.

WindowsDirectCinci

#4 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Medellin Expat wrote:Hello, I recently purchased an apartment on the top floor of a 4-story corner property in Medellin, Colombia. The other owners of the building rejected my request to convert my two windows into balconies. The opening is approximately 7 feet wide by 6 feet high. I would like advice on which window style would provide the largest opening to the street below. Is there an awning style window that would open completely or almost completely out with just a slight slant, leaving a large opening and view to the street below? Alternatively, would a 2-wing (not sure of terminology) window or door style window work, where the two wings open inwardly? Sound insulation is a very important part of either design. Any advice greatly appreciated!
Pablo Escobar says do bifold windows. I doubt you'd ge much help from this board about manufacturers as I'm sure he distribution in Columbia is significantly different than what is recommended on these boards. Seriously though I've been watching Narcos lately and it seems Medillion has bounced back nicely siince he 89-90's

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

At the peak, supposedly Escobar was LOSING nearly 4 Billion a year and wasn't even missing it.

Holy Smoke.

Bifold doors are a great option as well. I would just be worried about fall out protection if there isn't going to be a balcony up there.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you can post some pictures I can help more with the design.

Anthony A Bobo

#7 Post by Anthony A Bobo »

Medellin Expat wrote:Hello, I recently purchased an apartment on the top floor of a 4-story corner property in Medellin, Colombia. The other owners of the building rejected my request to convert my two windows into balconies. The opening is approximately 7 feet wide by 6 feet high. I would like advice on which window style would provide the largest opening to the street below. Is there an awning style window that would open completely or almost completely out with just a slight slant, leaving a large opening and view to the street below? Alternatively, would a 2-wing (not sure of terminology) window or door style window work, where the two wings open inwardly? Sound insulation is a very important part of either design. Any advice greatly appreciated!
I think a slider window or a double window will be a good option but am not that sure because its little wider.If you can please do upload the photographs then better suggestions can be given.