Okna Windows Reviews - Prices, Dealer Locator

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Weatherman

Okna Windows Reviews - Prices, Dealer Locator

#1 Post by Weatherman »

Okna windows doesn't seem like they are consumer friendly. They have no prices, dealer search or locator on their website and when you call they will only give you one dealer so you can't get different quotes. I am not sure if there are any other Okna dealers around here and I would like to know that if the one dealer was not around for whatever reason that someone would be able to be there for repairs or replacements if needed later on. Seems like this is the way we do business and if you don't like it too bad. They seem to be the only window company that operates that way out of the companies I am looking at. Doesn't give me confidence that this is a company to do business with, but I am interested in reviews and further information on Okna windows.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Okna windows

#2 Post by masterext »

All the higher end window companies operate that way. This way each Okna dealer has their own territory.
If a problem ever were to arise where one of their dealers were no longer associated with okna windows for whatever reason, Okna would still have the issue taken care of.
I have been dealing with Okna windows for years and their customer service is exceptional with great reviews.
What state are you located in?

Weatherman

#3 Post by Weatherman »

Soft Lite must be different. They have a dealer locator right on their website that list different dealers. Some fairly close to each other. My main concern is support if needed. I am in Rhode Island.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Weatherman wrote:Soft Lite must be different. They have a dealer locator right on their website that list different dealers. Some fairly close to each other. My main concern is support if needed. I am in Rhode Island.
Each dealer soft lite would list offer a different product. Example, you wont find two Elements dealers in the same area or in close proximity.
You might have abc company selling elements and they may also list xyz company but they only sell the soft lite pro series or barrington.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Weatherman wrote:Soft Lite must be different. They have a dealer locator right on their website that list different dealers. Some fairly close to each other. My main concern is support if needed. I am in Rhode Island.
Different brands will be more represented in certain areas , they are not all evenly distributed. Soft-Lite is a larger company and that will have an effect as well. Okna seems to be on solid ground and growing. If you are not confident in your dealer I'd look elsewhere.

Weatherman

#6 Post by Weatherman »

Appreciate the response and clarification. Thank you.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Its probably worthy of note that if you called Soft-Lite vs. searched their site, you would get a very similar response in that you would be provided with one vendor on a given product that you requested.

The only difference here is the lack of a dealer locator on Okna's website. I don't think it is something they have listed as a concern as they like to interface the customer personally from the outset.

Again, Okna windows approach to the market is no different than nearly all major brands that are not distributed via supply chains.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to all the comments above. This is pretty standard stuff for most manufacturers not named Pella, Marvin, or Andersen with small differences here and there (web based locator for instance). You will find that most manufacturers will refer consumers back to their dealer network as to avoid any type of confusion. You wouldn't call Ford directly to ask questions about their vehicles, you'd check with your local dealer... Not a perfect analogy I know, but you get the point.

As far as future service, Okna, Softlite, (and other manufacturers) will warranty the product regardless of whether your local dealer stays in business or not. Being a highly sought after brands as they are, you can rest assured that there is probably a waiting list of window companies in your area that would love that product line if the current dealer moved on or went under. The top products on the market almost without exception distribute through exclusive dealer networks, that's why you may only have one or two options. This gives some insurance that you are likely dealing with a company that has the financial chops to last, and also meets high standards in other areas including quality and service. Obviously there are some exceptions to that rule, and this by no means applies only to Okna, however it hopefully provides some insight as to the general how and why.

Weatherman

#9 Post by Weatherman »

I have a few questions about Okna double double hung windows. I don't see them broken down by series on their website.

Is the 800 series an insultec also.

The Okna only has double weatherstripping vs triple for competition?

The Okna 500 is not reinforced whereas the competition is?

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

800 = Envirostar
700= Casement & Awning
600= Ecopro
500 = Insultec
400= Precision Weld

Those are all broken down on the website. It leads you to choose the style of operator first followed by the series. The 800 has triple weatherstripping as well as sash reinforcement. Be careful about getting caught up in those features though. Okna stacks up well with over manufacturers in those areas, however the best thing to do IMO is look at how those features affect the ratings.

Weatherstripping: Look at AI number
Reinforcement: Look at DP number
... ETC...

For instance, the 500/Insultec gets a dp50 with no sash reinforcement. That's a testament to the engineering of the window. I don't know of another widely available vinyl window that achieves that.

Weatherman

#11 Post by Weatherman »

Thank you all for helping me.

Weatherman

#12 Post by Weatherman »

Met with an Okna guy at the house today. Really nice guy and he was no pressure at all. He is going to work up a quote for me for 500 and 800 series Deluxe and Super Deluxe and also double and triple pane. He said the 800 series would be about $50.00 more per window. I asked about insulation and he said that the wrap that comes around the window would fill any gaps and that he would use foam under the window. At least that is what I heard. Does that sound right?

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

Weatherman wrote:Met with an Okna guy at the house today. Really nice guy and he was no pressure at all. He is going to work up a quote for me for 500 and 800 series Deluxe and Super Deluxe and also double and triple pane. He said the 800 series would be about $50.00 more per window. I asked about insulation and he said that the wrap that comes around the window would fill any gaps and that he would use foam under the window. At least that is what I heard. Does that sound right?
I would prefer no wrap and foam all 4 sides for a tighter seal. Not sure why they would wrap 3 sides when there already foaming 1, I think they'd go one way or the other.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with Todd. Foaming all sides is advisable, that foam wrap often leaves gaps in the corners... Ultimately you contractor is responsible for making an airtight install, so that would be my primary concern-- the end, not the means,-- however I think that most guys would prefer all 4 sides foamed if not caulked if they are super tight.

Randy

#15 Post by Randy »

Another vote for closed cell polyurethane spray foam on all sides, as it’s a certified air and vapor barrier while the foam that comes on the windows is neither.