Am I being scammed?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Creamcity

Am I being scammed?

#1 Post by Creamcity »

In Milwaukee and signed a contract with Homesealed, who had positive reviews. Our primary objective was getting windows installed ASAP. Homesealed salesman told us it would be 6-8 weeks from the date the contract was signed. They also wanted a 50% deposit, which sounded more than the industry standard.

They sent a couple of change order requests due to mistakes on their end (full screen v half screen) but assured us that it would not affect the timeline.

It’s now been over 8 weeks. I just reached out last night after no communications from them. Today, found out that it would be at least another 6 weeks! We definitely regret our decision to go with Homesealed. We even had referred people to them based on their empty promises. Really feeling like this is a bait and switch situation. When should I report them to BBB et. al?

toddinmn

Re: Am I being scammed?

#2 Post by toddinmn »

50% is norm for me , unless I’m doing government work.
This would not fit the definition of bait and switch.
I will wait for Homesealed’s response before judgement.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

you are not being scammed by Homesealed and i highly doubt you actually believe that. you are conveniently leaving out the reason for the delay. the Full screen / half screen issue is very minor.
your subject reminds me of what youtube refers to as “ click bait”. you come across as unreasonable and somewhat manipulative.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Scammed and HomeSealed don't occupy the same space in the contracting universe to be perfectly honest with you.

Sounds to me like there may have been some sort of mix up or something else on the back end. That said, I would wait to talk to Brandon and I am sure he can speed this thing up or at least address your concerns personally.

We have had more than a few issues on our end of things with the supply chain on materials and this wouldn't be the first time that a sale person was prone to over promise on delivery.

Creamcity

#5 Post by Creamcity »

masterext wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:31 am you are not being scammed by Homesealed and i highly doubt you actually believe that. you are conveniently leaving out the reason for the delay. the Full screen / half screen issue is very minor.
your subject reminds me of what youtube refers to as “ click bait”. you come across as unreasonable and somewhat manipulative.
That’s what I’m trying to figure out. I read elsewhere not to put down a significantly large percentage down as that suggests the company doesn’t have enough money to stay afloat. They happily received 50% and missed their promised delivery date and failed to communicate (so I have no idea why there’s a delay). I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be concerned. One of the replies was helpful, stating that 50% was normal. As for the missed deadline, I’m reaching out new window companies and they are telling me that windows take about 3 weeks to produce. That’s what has really gotten me worried! But yeah, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Creamcity

#6 Post by Creamcity »

Windows on Washington wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:13 am Scammed and HomeSealed don't occupy the same space in the contracting universe to be perfectly honest with you.

Sounds to me like there may have been some sort of mix up or something else on the back end. That said, I would wait to talk to Brandon and I am sure he can speed this thing up or at least address your concerns personally.

We have had more than a few issues on our end of things with the supply chain on materials and this wouldn't be the first time that a sale person was prone to over promise on delivery.
Thanks. Based on your posting history, you’re a big Okna guy. Those are the windows we ordered. Are they experiencing some sort of backlog? We signed our contract in early June for 17 windows. Marvin guy yesterday told me they could get windows in 3 weeks and install them right away. They seem to be pretty standard windows so no idea what the hold up could be.

Since my post, Brandon from Homesealed reached out to my wife, saying he would call us last night or this morning at the latest but haven’t heard from him yet.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

50% deposit is totally normal.. a 3 week lead times is not normal. whomever told you 3 weeks is uninformed.
im sure Brandon is on top of this and Im sure there is a good reason for any delay.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

The 50% for me is to protect myself if something happens, it roughly covers the cost the windows which can not be returned in most cases and the windows are reallly difficult to use on other jobs dues there custom sizes or options.
When I know people really well and trust them or when doing government work I will do jobs with zero down.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Hi Creamcity, I just though that I would check in here as I've not received any response since my initial contact regarding your concerns shortly after you posted here on August 6th, as well as the follow up to that on the 8th. In addition to the explanation of the delay for which we are very sorry, I have proposed a few options on how to move forward as well. Please call in or email me at your earliest convenience so that we can resolve your concerns and avoid any further delays.
Thanks!
Brandon

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Creamcity wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:20 pm Thanks. Based on your posting history, you’re a big Okna guy. Those are the windows we ordered. Are they experiencing some sort of backlog? We signed our contract in early June for 17 windows. Marvin guy yesterday told me they could get windows in 3 weeks and install them right away. They seem to be pretty standard windows so no idea what the hold up could be.

Since my post, Brandon from Homesealed reached out to my wife, saying he would call us last night or this morning at the latest but haven’t heard from him yet.
No problems. Okna has been vacillating on lead times this year. There is no real "standard" lead time as if it isn't a labor shortage, materials can be scarce and this year, transportation has been a real bugger.

There are ranges that we operate inside of for a majority of the time, but we have definitely had some longer lead times on our end of things with materials. I suspect Brandon is dealing with much of the same things that we are dealing with. We are running at about 12 weeks total timetable on our end of things in many cases right now.

Creamcity

#11 Post by Creamcity »

Thanks @Windows on Washington for the information.

As for my predicament, it's still to be determined. We've been in discussion with Brandon and will update everyone with how things turned out. Thank you for everyone's assistance!