Milgard Retrofit?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
atkinson40

Milgard Retrofit?

#1 Post by atkinson40 »

I have old aluminum sliders in my house. I am just beginning to educate myself on how to retrofit these windows.

I believe to keep the windows the maximum size I can I need to cut off the old slider tracks that stick above the window sill.

Also on some of the windows there is a lip on the outside that protrudes a bit past the stucco I will cut off.

I will then measure from the inside of the sills/openings in three places and subtract 1/4 inch from the smallest measurement to get the window size I will order.

I am looking to replace with Milgard. I'll compare prices between Home Depot, Dixie line and Lowes. I think I get 10% off for being a veteran at Lowes.

Lastely Home Depot came out and measured my windows. There are three measurements on the quote. Height, width and "UI". What is the "UI" measurement? Also I see that all the measurements HD listed are about 1/2 inch greater than the inside sill measurements. (I wonder if this was done to prevent me from using their measurements)

I will do one at a time and work my way through the house.

Delaware Mike

Re: Milgard Retrofit?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

UI = unite inch. Method of dimension for pricing and material used to build a window regarding size of a window that is quick for field quotes in my opinion. That's how almost all of our sales books are configured into united inch sizing groups. It's one vertical and one horizontal measurement added together. 32" x 48" = 80 UI.

Once can size an insert to "slip" in between the sheetrock returns as what we refer to as a "slip." One can also imagine the sheetrock, wood jamb extensions, and stool aren't even there and kind of guess what size window would fit butted to the sheetrock (which may need to be trimmed back with this method) knowing that most sheetrock is 1/2" and one would want the some shimming and squaring room to the rough opening. That's how I personally do it, but stucco exteriors present all kinds different scenarios in regards to exterior finish methods to ensure no leaking.

If we do a slip I don't care to sit the insert window atop a bottom wood stool personally. I think it looks too tall and odd. It's not too much time and work to remove and reinstall a field ripped stool or precision cut in place with a multi-Fein type tool.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

What does the exterior of the home consist of? Siding, brick, something else?

atkinson40

#4 Post by atkinson40 »

atkinson40

#5 Post by atkinson40 »

These are the numbers given by an estimator. The numbers in purple are what I measure the opening would be if I cut off the tracks. If I order a 57" width it will not fit in the opening.

uncle eddie

#6 Post by uncle eddie »

I'd be very careful about using those measurements as gospel. They could be before cutbacks, they could be by a sales guy instead of someone with technical knowledge, and lastly, even if they are accurate, you using (with using being the operative word) a free quote to steal something of value is pretty crappy. I guess that's big orange's fault for providing them though, but its another reason that I'd go back to the fact that they probably are not final tech measurements ready for ordering.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are going with a stucco flange retrofit here? That is preferable in this case.

atkinson40

#8 Post by atkinson40 »

uncle eddie wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:04 am I'd be very careful about using those measurements as gospel. They could be before cutbacks, they could be by a sales guy instead of someone with technical knowledge, and lastly, even if they are accurate, you using (with using being the operative word) a free quote to steal something of value is pretty crappy. I guess that's big orange's fault for providing them though, but its another reason that I'd go back to the fact that they probably are not final tech measurements ready for ordering.
Sorry uncle eddie that you fell I stole something. I got a quote. They listed measurements in the quote. In checking the measurements I see they are wrong.

They knew I was going to use/check their measurements. You can see that I am not using their "INCORRECT" measurements.

I have 10 openings ranging from 2 small bathrooms to a patio door. Most of the openings are the size of the window I've shown. I really don't have time to do this and would have let them do the job but they quoted me $15,000 for the job.

I just came from getting a quote for the above window at a big box. With my veteran's discount the above Milgard Tuscany costs me $425. That's an average of over $1000 per opening they wanted to charge me for an installation.

Your characterization of me stealing something of value is inaccurate. Their measurements are wrong and they're worthless to me.

atkinson40

#9 Post by atkinson40 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:43 am You are going with a stucco flange retrofit here? That is preferable in this case.
I'll need to educate myself on what a "stucco flange retrofit" is. I'm getting window quotes from a couple of sources. The place that gives me a veteran's discount may end up being the winner.

It takes about a month to get the special order filled on a window. I'll do them one at a time. I'm going to be busy.

I'm getting a rental back at the end of the month that I haven't seen the inside of in 10 years. I'm going to gut the kitchen, both bathrooms, put a new window in the upstairs bedroom to see the ocean, run a gas line to the washer/dyer closet and of course the usual carpet and paint.

Thank You for pointing out "stucco flange retrofit". I'll research it.

atkinson40

#10 Post by atkinson40 »

atkinson40 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:06 pm
uncle eddie wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:04 am I'd be very careful about using those measurements as gospel. They could be before cutbacks, they could be by a sales guy instead of someone with technical knowledge, and lastly, even if they are accurate, you using (with using being the operative word) a free quote to steal something of value is pretty crappy. I guess that's big orange's fault for providing them though, but its another reason that I'd go back to the fact that they probably are not final tech measurements ready for ordering.
Sorry uncle eddie that you felt I stole something. I got a quote. They listed measurements in the quote. In checking the measurements I see they are wrong.

They knew I was going to use/check their measurements. You can see that I am not using their "INCORRECT" measurements.

I have 10 openings ranging from 2 small bathrooms to a patio door. Most of the openings are the size of the window I've shown. I really don't have time to do this and would have let them do the job but they quoted me $15,000 for the job.

I just came from getting a quote for the above window at a big box. With my veteran's discount the above Milgard Tuscany costs me $425. That's an average of over $1000 per opening they wanted to charge me for an installation.

Your characterization of me stealing something of value is inaccurate. Their measurements are wrong and they're worthless to me.
The second Big Box store quoted me $335 for the above Milgard Tuscany. Even without my veterans discount.

atkinson40

#11 Post by atkinson40 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:43 am You are going with a stucco flange retrofit here? That is preferable in this case.
I think this is what you are talking about. I will verify when I buy.

I will cut the aluminum tracks off inside on the Jam/Buck to bring the surface level with the Jam/Buck(I can't find the proper name for this). It is covered with drywall on the inside and the tracks are embedded in it and extend above it. This, I believe will give me a bigger window opening and save me from needing to add a piece of wood behind the track to provide a solid surface for the replacement to sit on.

There is also a small lip/guide that extends beyond the stucco on the outside for the screen to sit in. I will cut it off flush with the stucco. This I believe will allow the attached flange to fit up tight against the stucco.

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

There are Youtube videos demonstrating this method of stucco flange and metal window retrofitting. We don't see that type of window and method in my area but I've checking into in the past.

atkinson40

#13 Post by atkinson40 »

Delaware Mike wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:40 am There are Youtube videos demonstrating this method of stucco flange and metal window retrofitting. We don't see that type of window and method in my area but I've checking into in the past.
Thanks Delaware Mike.

I live in the San Diego area.

I would be hard pressed to find a house that is not stucco in this area.

I've been checking YouTube, but thought I'd lay out in this forum what my thought process was in case I'm missing something.

atkinson40

#14 Post by atkinson40 »

atkinson40 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:41 pm
I think this is what you are talking about. I will verify when I buy.

I will cut the aluminum tracks off inside on the Jam/Buck to bring the surface level with the Jam/Buck(I can't find the proper name for this). It is covered with drywall on the inside and the tracks are embedded in it and extend above it. This, I believe will give me a bigger window opening and save me from needing to add a piece of wood behind the track to provide a solid surface for the replacement to sit on.

There is also a small lip/guide that extends beyond the stucco on the outside for the screen to sit in. I will cut it off flush with the stucco. This I believe will allow the attached flange to fit up tight against the stucco.

This is the type of window/flange I am buying.

I'll measure once more from sill to sill width and height and subtract 1/2 inch for the window size before ordering.

It takes about three weeks. When the window comes in I'll remove glass and screens and tape a sheet of plastic over the inside opening. I'll then use an angle grinder to cut the tracks down to the sill height all around. I've got three weeks to educate myself on how to install and seal.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

If you’re in doubt start with one window or if you have the luxury remove a window to confirm measurements and board it up till new one arrives or just dive in!