Vinyl Replacement; 5 light bow ; Casement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Jen15

Vinyl Replacement; 5 light bow ; Casement

#1 Post by Jen15 »

Need opinions please . Located in Metro Detroit MI. Background context:
Discovered the need for replacing living room bow window, while executing mold remediation plan. Husband is somewhat handy/ commercial carpenter. So we don’t have lots of experience with professional quotes. This is a large, unexpected expense, in a series of overwhelming expenses. ( I’m currently NOT working, due to prolonged illness ....) Current window is 1991 Pella (came with the home). Replacement window quotes are for 5 light bow, casement, with 2 end windows opening. I’ve spent weeks researching, and receiving quotes. Very confusing decision to make as there are SO many factors to consider, and it’s an unexpected and expensive element in a bigger scope project. I’ve learned through research how important install is. I found an installer I like/ trust, but not convinced I like his usual product (Weather Proof), and it seems you can’t really find quality manufacturer that will sell to homeowner?
I’ve got several quotes for what I think are the lowest quality windows I’ve had quoted;
-Alside Mezzo, Weather Proof ( Jackson MI ) all coming in right around $4,000
-Simonton 6500, through Home Depot $5,000
-NorthStar (Canadian) $5,000
^Sunrise Base ( not Elements ) $4,150. (additional $275 NRG available)
*BUT* this quote will reuse existing header, does not include permit fee , also offers 5% discount for cash. Hoping these notations mean the company is trying to work with me on the budget,(?) but eager to hear your opinion.
^same business for Sunrise also quotes
Pella Lifestyle 2 : $4,475
Pella Lifestyle 3: $5,130 (additional $1,375 for in glass blinds)
Soft- Lite Elements $6,100
My concern/ confusion is that the quality difference between certain products doesn’t align with the price difference. It seems to me that poorly regarded products are not THAT much less expensive......and trying to research products is a big challenge due to lack of information transparency??
Appreciate all the info I’ve learned here, and eager to hear your opinions about our situation.

toddinmn

Re: Vinyl Replacement; 5 light bow ; Casement

#2 Post by toddinmn »

The Sunrise quote looks the best, I believe it is “essentially “ the same as the there upper windows with feeer bells and whistles. Headers are not typically replaced, do the other bids include a header replacement?

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Why would header replacement even be a consideration?

Your husband and three buddies can do it in a Sat if he has the time and desire. No beer till everything is complete.

Check with different siding and roofing supply houses for what they have available in product.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree on the header comments, not sure why that would be discussed if this is size on size, unless there appears to be some other major damage around the window.

On product, I'd focus in on the Sunrise (non-essentials) and the Softlite. Trash the others. Pella's has many fans and many detractors, but I replace them at age 10-15 years at a pretty high rate. Unless you are in need of a real wood interior (judging by your other candidates you are not), then that should be a disqualifier regardless.

On pricing etc, keep in mind that this will be determined in large part by the company itself. Business model, staffing, marketing, quality of installation/pay of installers, etc... On that same line of discussion, choosing a good company and good install is a very important part of this as well. Between the Sunrise and SL options, that aspect could tilt this one way or the other.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

The soft lite or the sunrise. I wouldnt waste my time with the others.
As far as install, i would NOT want a “weekend warrior” or a handy husband installing a bow window. That has future issues written all over it.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

My rule is no beer till noon, or some where around there.
Sunrise is the clear winner Assuming its a competent company. Pretty sure Sunrise Essetials is not an option with this unit. The base Sunrise would be very comparable to the Essentials in this situation.

Jen15

#7 Post by Jen15 »

Thanks very much for the quick responses. Both Sunrise and Softlite quotes are well reviewed local family owned businesses. I was leaning toward the Sunrise, due to budget , but just wanted to hear from folks more knowledgeable than I am, that the Base ( not essentials ) Sunrise was good choice and correctly priced , since the Soft lite is $2k more.
This is SUCH a helpful resource , thanks for making it available.
Kind Regards,
Jen

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

You are on the right track Jen. If everything else is completely equal I'd say that choosing the Sunrise and pocketing $2k is a good choice. That said, I'd definitely dig deeper, not enough info here to declare a "clear winner" IMO.

Both companies are local and well reviewed, but do they have a similar history, etc? Obviously a company that has been around for a few years and has 15 good reviews should be looked at differently than one that has been around for 20 and hundreds of good reviews. Also, how about the install details? Are the head and seat board stained? New, stained interior casing? Is a roof needed on the exterior? Workmanship warranty? Etc, etc.... One thing that piques my interest is that companies reserve their top lines for the most secure and reputable dealers. The fact that the SL dealer has the top Elements offering where the Sunrise dealer only has the basic, even though they offer like 17 private label options could be telling.

I actually prefer the Sunrise product in casement form (SL in DH) so again, if all else is truly equal, that seems like the choice. Just do your due diligence in the other areas. Installation is extremely important, as is dealing with a trustworthy, stable company.

Jen15

#9 Post by Jen15 »

Homesealed, you were absolutely right about the extra digging/ due diligence, and it made my Sunrise quote the clear stand out.
This is such a great resource, thanks again everyone for making the resource and help available.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Great to hear Jen. Good product + reputable company = best odds of a good experience and finished product.