RBA or Pella replacement windows?

Share your experiences with others
three4rd

RBA or Pella replacement windows?

#1 Post by three4rd »

My Great Lakes Windows, installed in the early 90s, are showing their age - many need new latches (tilt-in mechanism is broke), others have the finish flaking off on the inside vinyl, broken seals, etc. They did come with a lifetime warranty and so I've been exploring the option of fixing whatever needs doing, but this company does not do their own work and so I've been in touch with a contractor (who does work for any window company), but trying to maintain close contact with him is like watching a blade of grass grow.

RBA has gotten my interest. Their website shows tons of real good reviews, but I want to research this further. One question I would have is...can you go to one of their showrooms and see exactly what is going to be installed? Does RBA use the various windows listed on the Anderson website, or is it a window that has been created solely for the purpose of doing these replacement jobs? For the reported costs, no way would I let these people put in a window that I've not even had the chance to fully examine before.

Then, of course, there's Pella...and Marvin...both of which are advertised as being top brands. I have Marvin in my sunroom. Very expensive, and for the most part I like them but there are a few features on them that could use definite improvement.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. I think I really need to lean more towards replacing windows or fixing these older ones (which would very likely just invite additional problems as they continue to age).

Windows on Washington

Re: RBA or Pella replacement windows?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What about RBA has piqued your interest?

three4rd

#3 Post by three4rd »

Well, for one thing, they advertise on tv all the time - not to imply that this is any sort of overriding incentive however being that most advertisements are totally lost on me - I simply pay little attention. Probably a bigger factor is that we had Anderson windows installed in a sunroom addition that we had built in the mid 80s. I was pleased with them other than that they didn't tilt in. They lasted close to 30 years and some were actually in quite good shape yet when we had them replaced with Marvins windows 4 years ago. Also, it's certainly one of the big names out there.

z-man

#4 Post by z-man »

We had gone to the RBA showroom and was able to see and operate all the windows that they offer. We also had a lot of questions answered by the sales lady who also demonstrated how the windows performed and operated. It was very informative to see and made it a lot easier to make the purchase. We did have to sit through the sales pitch but our salesman was very helpful in deciding what our needs were and he was not pushy at all. If you go to the Renewal By Andersen web site to find a RBA showroom near you, go to Renewal By Andersen web site page, scroll all the way down and click on the Renewal By Andersen showrooms - last column on the right hand side. It shows every state and town they service.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

They are a pretty window to be certain. In terms of their performance metrics, you would think, given their premium, they would be world beaters. Nothing could be further from the truth at the end of the day.

I would first decide what type of material and feel you want out of the window and then sort through those choices. If composite is on the short list, sure, look at the RBA. If nothing else, you will have an anchor point about what stuff can cost.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have install AW windows for 35 years, i have also installed Pella, and Marvin for 35 years, vinyl for forty years.
You need help in figuring out the factors in the best decision for you, not the best decison for the mfg or dealer.
Cost, life cycle, attractiveness, performance and service/warranty.
High performance vinyl probably get the best total score, but you have to figure out what is right for you.
Start with the items you find most important: give them a score of 1-10 or assign them the value that you place on them.
For instance you can begin with budget: do you want to spend $500 or $2500 per window?
Do you want no draft or a little draft?
How do you make sure the service and warranty you expect will be true?
For me I want a window under $1000, no draft, and at least 20 years no agg.

elenamann

#7 Post by elenamann »

three4rd wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:47 pm My Great Lakes Windows, installed in the early 90s, are showing their age - many need new latches (tilt-in mechanism is broke), others have the finish flaking off on the inside vinyl, broken seals, etc. They did come with a lifetime warranty and so I've been exploring the option of fixing whatever needs doing, but this company does not do their own work and so I've been in touch with a contractor (who does work for any window company), but trying to maintain close contact with him is like watching a blade of grass grow.
valentines day gifts for her
RBA has gotten my interest. Their website shows tons of real good reviews, but I want to research this further. One question I would have is...can you go to one of their showrooms and see exactly what is going to be installed? Does RBA use the various windows listed on the Anderson website, or is it a window that has been created solely for the purpose of doing these replacement jobs? For the reported costs, no way would I let these people put in a window that I've not even had the chance to fully examine before.

Then, of course, there's Pella...and Marvin...both of which are advertised as being top brands. I have Marvin in my sunroom. Very expensive, and for the most part I like them but there are a few features on them that could use definite improvement.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. I think I really need to lean more towards replacing windows or fixing these older ones (which would very likely just invite additional problems as they continue to age).
Following this thread with great interest as we are getting ready to replace about 20 windows...

uncle eddie

#8 Post by uncle eddie »

I'm wondering if the OP wants 3 for the road, or owns 3 fords?
On the windows, the other guys have it pretty well covered, not much to add there

Project Hero

#9 Post by Project Hero »

To the OP - did you ever make a decision between the RBA, Pella or Marvin?

Would be interested in your choice and how its going.

Thanks and be safe everyone!

Sylvia Weisen

#10 Post by Sylvia Weisen »

I honestly don't understand all the hype about Pella.