Would you trust rebranded Oknas?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dbraden

Would you trust rebranded Oknas?

#1 Post by dbraden »

We’re in Southeastern Vermont; not a lot of options around here! The only Okna dealer in the area — Yankee Home from Chicopee MA — rebrands them as “Veridis” windows. I don’t get why? I called Okna and they said they’re the same. Yankee Home of course says they’re the same. I just don’t get why a company with a great reputation would rebrand their product, and have some hesitation about spending 10k on something rebranded. Could anyone in the business chime in on this and tell me if you’d trust it?

Context: We’re looking for 13 double hungs and have someone who’ll put in triple-pane Sunrise Restorations for 850-1000 per. He did the upstairs a few years ago and install was okay (not perfect).

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Would you trust rebranded Oknas?

#2 Post by masterext »

Thats very common for a large company to have a manufacturer rebrand a specific window for them. Both the window and warranty would be the same. Sunrise also do that with many of their large window dealers.
I wouldnt worry about that.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Typically many use the the manufacturers name and have there own name for the models. Not much to worry about

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

It's pretty common. I wouldn't worry. That's pretty much the going rate for the Restorations around my parts, but I think that you're on to something with the OKNA product.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Certainly within the range of normal and your reflection of your past window installation doesn't scream "glowing" at the end of the day. Might be time for a new window installer.

dbraden

#6 Post by dbraden »

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! (Both your responses here and this site overall, which has been of great use over several years when we’ve been doing various window projects).

dbraden

#7 Post by dbraden »

Wow -- the windows were fine, but the prices quoted for 12 DH triple-pane argon white no grids (all standard sizes except one small bathroom with tempered glass) were..

800 series: $20k!
600 series: $15k! (*after negotiating)

Had a nice sales visit but man did I say 'thanks but no' quickly after that.. he rang my bell a few minutes later and said he probably couldn't but what if he could get down to 1k per window for the 600s -- sorry but no my friend.. I mean we're a bit out of people's way here, but if I can get Restorations triple pane argon for $850 each I can't be paying hundreds of dollars extra per window for your 'double-lifetime' warranty.

DFW Gal

#8 Post by DFW Gal »

dbraden, following this...

I'm a long ways from you in TX w a thread on what window brand/material to select and obtained many bids.
Just got a Sunrise Restoration bid for 27 large tall single hungs, many arched
$74K but dealer cut it down to $52K. $1.93K/window average.
Not an option.

Per the Pros here, aluminum works better in TX hot sun vs a high end vinyl.
But aluminum, even w the best energy glass pkg, can't meet energy code -- and City said NO.

Agree w you - this site is very helpful.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

dbraden, sorry that you're not able to get the pricing point from the OKNA dealer in your area. Where I'm at, we OKNA dealers seem to be all around the same general price point give or take. I have four other dealers all within 30-45 minutes of my business. I don't know all of the dealers, but there is so much business to go around right now with this economy it isn't a bad thing. Best of luck.

dbraden

#10 Post by dbraden »

Delaware Mike wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:15 am dbraden, sorry that you're not able to get the pricing point from the OKNA dealer in your area. Where I'm at, we OKNA dealers seem to be all around the same general price point give or take. I have four other dealers all within 30-45 minutes of my business. I don't know all of the dealers, but there is so much business to go around right now with this economy it isn't a bad thing. Best of luck.
A little competition never hurts the consumer, and I’m fine going with the triple argon Restorations around $850 per. This Okna outfit just blew me away — a lot of salesmanship and overhead, no doubt, but he said he’d give me 600s at 500 prices, plus the $180 off per window they’re doing, plus something else — and all that taken into account, paying cash straight up, how does $1.5k per window sound?

Some negotiating and now he’s getting no commission on it and puppy dog eyes we’re down to $1.3k per — I was just blown away. Guy’s been selling for just a couple years and didn’t know what the 600 series or Sunrise are.

I love living the rural small town life but occasionally it has a drawback here and there, so it goes.

dbraden

#11 Post by dbraden »

DFW Gal wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:09 am dbraden, following this...

I'm a long ways from you in TX w a thread on what window brand/material to select and obtained many bids.
Just got a Sunrise Restoration bid for 27 large tall single hungs, many arched
$74K but dealer cut it down to $52K. $1.93K/window average.
Not an option.

Per the Pros here, aluminum works better in TX hot sun vs a high end vinyl.
But aluminum, even w the best energy glass pkg, can't meet energy code -- and City said NO.

Agree w you - this site is very helpful.
Good luck with your project! Your needs sound really different, we’re just plain white on white vinyl double hungs of a standard size — can’t imagine going into a buying situation without doing some research and this place has been very helpful.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have thoughts to delicate to post here.
Based on what ya shared I would go with the Sunrise Restorations at $850 each.

theWindowNerd.com

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

dbraden wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 pm A little competition never hurts the consumer
There's your key dbraden, for better or worse. Most times when a product is "private labeled", that is the reason why. That can be good, and sometimes not so good in terms of the company that you are dealing with. First and foremost though, NO, there's no concern over warranty or anything like that. There is no reason not to "trust" the windows at all.

As far as the "rebranding", this is generally done when a company wants to create some uniqueness with its brand and/or distance from competitors, often times based on price. Higher doesn't always mean bad, keep that in mind, as home improvements present a very accessible entry point for shady and or unskilled individuals to get into business for themselves. The vast majority of complaints that make home improvements one of the worst industries (# of complaints via BBB) are about homeowners that were ripped off or had shoddy work done by low end contractors, NOT about companies where they felt that they paid too much. Nobody likes sleazy sales guys or subversive tactics, but I wouldn't really put this issue in that category by default.

I went to that contractors website, having zero familiarity with them. I did see the windows branded as Okna, with the Veridis 1800 as the model. The 1800 is a valid model, and is offered only to a select few dealers. Furthermore, they seem like a pretty solid company overall. The owner tells his story about getting ripped off on a roof purchase, and it looks like they won a BBB Torch Award for business ethics. Those aren't handed out freely.... I can't and won't vouch for this company because I don't know them, but those factors combined with their good ratings across google and other sites, A+ on BBB, and fair amount of time in business @16 years look like a good start to finding a company that you would like to work with.

What I'm getting at is that as far as the pricing, it sounds like your comments that alluded more to higher overhead as the reason as opposed to gouging are probably more likely. With that said though, be sure that you are comparing apples to apples. Product options, including triple pane. Installation procedures, ie: full frame vs pocket, wood work or lack thereof, exterior finishing, presence of tempered glass, etc. You could be working with the very same company, and you can take a pocket window and jump to a full frame with prefinished interior casing and jambs as well as possibly upgraded exterior trim, and you can go from $850 to $1350 pretty easily. The Restorations window is nice as well, and if everything else truly is apples to apples and the other contractor also has a seemingly stellar, established reputation, then it may be a great choice.

Comparing the product and install options to ensure apples to apples is absolutely crucial when comparing pricing.

WindowsDirectCinci

#14 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

What a small world. I literally just met the owner of this company in Florida a few weeks ago. Can’t speak to the business practices other than they are a legitimate company. Sounds like the Restorations is a great deal and would serve you well

As far as the private label, I just private labeled our windows (Sunrise Vanguard) and it had to do with consistent branding across different markets. We already had exclusivity in our markets. But I’d rather spend my marketing dollars promoting my company vs another’s brand. I will still keep the Restorations with its own brand as is. Warranty is still intact from the manufacturer and has no real effect to the consumer except they see Windows Direct brochures instead of Sunrise brochures