Need advice on choosing replacement windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Ellyn

Need advice on choosing replacement windows

#1 Post by Ellyn »

Thanks for this wonderful site. My home is 20 yrs. old, and I am close to 80. The Marvin double hung windows that were put into this house have been a source of frustration for me. Now several are allowing a lot of cold air in not to mention other issues I have. The house has 17 windows, all wood double-hung. I don't want wood anymore. There is an OKNA window salesperson about 100 miles from my home near Iowa City ,IA who is wanting to contact me about estimates. I have no idea how to evaluate his proposal, questions to ask, what types of frames to ask for. I know that aluminum is not the best insulating material, wood is better, but what about vinyl or fiberglass. Are there other window mfg. in addition to OKNA that I should look at. Pella and Anderson are used a lot around here but from reading a bit on this forum these mfgs. are not highly recommended. So hope someone can help me with this. I happen to be a female and this is new territory for me. Thanks, Ellyn

Windows on Washington

Re: Need advice on choosing replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ellyn,

Thank you for your question and inquiry. With regards to material selections, all are good in certain situations. The reality is that Aluminum would not be indicated in your climate and if you aren't adverse to vinyl (as compared to wood or fiberglass) you will be hard pressed to match the thermal and structural performance data out of a good vinyl window and certainly at a given price point.

Okna is solid as is Soft-Lite and Sunrise. You can't go wrong with any of those three.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I will help you as much as possible.
Are the Marvin unit aluminum clad on the exterior?

I would suggest the Highmark/Okna 800DX, you will have no drafts and enjoy great operation.

Besides product you need to choose an install method, either pock inset or full frame. More about that later.
Blessings,
wayne theWindowNerd,.com

Ellyn

#4 Post by Ellyn »

Yes the Marvin windows are aluminum clad. I have been hunting on the websites of OKNA, Softlite, and then heard from a salesperson that tells me the Starmark Composite window is made by OKNA but I can't find it on the OKNA website. I did manage to find the website for Starmark and the graphics look very much like OKNA and when I open the Contact Us area I see that both window sites have the same main office and phone nos. So, what am I to think about this. Is the Starmark a more cheaply made window and just what is the difference between a vinyl window and the Starmark composite material. Also, the current windows are stained and varnished wood and I think the vinyl is always white---not sure how this would look with oak trim and floors, etc. Anyway if someone can explain to me why a composite used by Starmark is better or not as good as vinyl I would appreciate that. Thanks, Ellyn

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I am not an OKna expert but the way I understand things is this.
The Starmark is indeed made by Okna and is there too of the line model. It is sold by select dealers only.
Composite is a vague term, both the Starmark and vinyl windows are made of the same material, the difference is how the material is processed.The biggest difference will be in appearance, I would suggest looking at both types and decide if the Starmark is worth the extra cost. Both types of windows have the option of being wrapped a film that similates wood. The films are somewhat limited in colors so a direct match is not always possible and may not appear real enough to some.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Ellyn,
Todd is helpful in describing the Starmark as a program window. They are typically only sold through dealers who exclusively sell it. One of the results is a much higher price for what you get.
With Okna anything 800 series and above will do a wonderful job for you. THe Starmark is priced above the 800, not my preference because we do not go to market that way. It is a beautiful window.
Due to your average winter weather you may want to consider triple pane.
Let me know if you have nay other questions.

wayne theWindowNerd.com

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

https://www.starmarkwindows.com/

If you request information via the site, they will probably put you in connection with any dealers in your market.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Mostly good info above Ellyn. The Starmark is not a "cheaper" product, instead as the other pros already alluded to, it is at the top level arguably with the HiMark 1000 and 1800/800. Each of those 3 has slightly different pros and cons, with each having a valid claim to being a "flagship" offering. As far as pricing, The Starmark has a higher raw cost than the others, but that doesn't always translate to the higher price at the end due to the business model and overhead of each specific dealer.

Lastly, it is not uncommon to find a couple of top level window offerings from a given manufacturer to have their own "brand" including website etc. That holds true here for the Starmark and Himark 1000 windows by Okna, and can be found for others as well like the Sunrise Restorations, Preservation by Alside, Marvin Infinity, Andersen Renewal, etc. No concern there, again manufacturers reserve this treatment for their top offerings.