Windows with highest STC rating available in North Florida (Jakcsonville)

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
xpro

Windows with highest STC rating available in North Florida (Jakcsonville)

#1 Post by xpro »

I'm looking for windows with the highest STC rating available in Jacksonville, FL. The highest I have found so far is the Simonton 5500 with laminated glass with has an STC rating of 34. I still have doubts that it will be enough to block out most of the noise. I would be comfortable with something in the high 30s. Anyone know windows with higher STC rating available in Jacksonville, FL?

toddinmn

Re: Windows with highest STC rating available in North Florida (Jakcsonville)

#2 Post by toddinmn »

PGT is the only other recommended brand that seems to pop up in the Florida area, I don’t know there STC ratings. Seems you have to go a triple pane system to get the higher STC ratings.

WindowsDirectCinci

#3 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Triple pane isn’t going to do much for the stc. On the test I’ve seen. The best options are laminated or dissimilar glass. You can get a similar rating on dissimilar glass units and usually less $ than the laminated. I’d double check the warranty with laminated glass btw. I’ve seen several manufactures that severely limit the warranty when using laminated glass 34-35 are about the best I’ve seen..... I frequently provide noise reduction glass and customers are always pleased.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Honestly, being in FL, I would stay with the laminated glass option. Kind of kills two birds with one stone with regards to additional impact protection. Laminated glass is effective and once you get into the middle 30's, that is a pretty good performer. You are going to have to get into the exotics after about a 38 and above.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I meant more Of a system that uses 3 panes such as Milgards or the incorporation of a storm window. A typical triple pane would not help much.

xpro

#6 Post by xpro »

Today I found out about Marvin windows while I was searching for STC related threads. Looks like Marvin has double hung windows which achieve STC in the 40s.

https://www3.marvin.com/WebDoc/Marvin%2 ... rmance.pdf

There is a dealer nearby my house. I just have to make sure the models with the high STCs are available in my area. With an STC of 40, How likely is it that the room would be quite from traffic noise from a secondary street with a speed limit of 30 MPH behind the house (about 120 ft)?

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

It looks like Marvin is a storm window to get there numbers that high. Anything in high 30’s and 40’s “should” meet your goals. When we did airport programs. Using Marvin’s I believe the STC rating was around 38. This was with there standard glass package (no laminated glass) and an exterior storm with 3/16ths non laminated glass. We were using Mon-Ray storms and not Marvin’s. The key was the 3rd pane of glass and the additional air space it created. These numbers were replicated with other brands such as Renewal and A-Craft primary windows and also with Larson storm windows

xpro

#8 Post by xpro »

toddinmn wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:59 pm It looks like Marvin is a storm window to get there numbers that high. Anything in high 30’s and 40’s “should” meet your goals. When we did airport programs. Using Marvin’s I believe the STC rating was around 38. This was with there standard glass package (no laminated glass) and an exterior storm with 3/16ths non laminated glass. We were using Mon-Ray storms and not Marvin’s. The key was the 3rd pane of glass and the additional air space it created. These numbers were replicated with other brands such as Renewal and A-Craft primary windows and also with Larson storm windows
Today I was experimenting with opening and closing my window to see how much noise it blocks. It sounds like it's barely blocking the road noise. Glass does not block road noise frequencies very much. I think road noise is about 700 to 1300 Hertz? Is laminated glass much better at blocking that sound frequency range? Below is a video in one of the rooms facing the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ua5R6PQs9o

How much reduction in noise do you think I will have with the Marvel windows in the high 30s low 40s STC with laminated glass? Possible to make it unnoticeable? the house itself is concrete block, I doubt any sound is passing the walls.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Same video from the other site. Make an interior storm window out of plexiglass or lexan.

xpro

#10 Post by xpro »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:14 pm Same video from the other site. Make an interior storm window out of plexiglass or lexan.
Do you know any manufactures that make that? Is plexiglass or lexan better at blocking road noise than laminated glass?

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

Even regular glass of the same thickness has a better STC rating better than and plexiglass , so no it would not be better than laminated if the same thickness.
Interior storms typically would have a lower STC rating than an exterior storm because of the larger airspace between glass panes. Casements and awnings usually use interior storms and double hungs can use either. Larson makes an interior storm and exterior storm, not sure if they off it with lean though. I would use 3/16 glass if available but for sure upgrade to double strength at a minimum. You are considering just doing storms instead of replacement? If so what type of window is there now, are they ther o or single panes?

xpro

#12 Post by xpro »

toddinmn wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:31 pm Even regular glass of the same thickness has a better STC rating better than and plexiglass , so no it would not be better than laminated if the same thickness.
Interior storms typically would have a lower STC rating than an exterior storm because of the larger airspace between glass panes. Casements and awnings usually use interior storms and double hungs can use either. Larson makes an interior storm and exterior storm, not sure if they off it with lean though. I would use 3/16 glass if available but for sure upgrade to double strength at a minimum. You are considering just doing storms instead of replacement? If so what type of window is there now, are they ther o or single panes?
I would need to replace the windows anyway. They are in a very bad shape. I can barely close them. I think the brand is Norandex they are double pane. They are the original windows. The house is 20 years old. Do you think it's possible to reduce it to an unnoticeable level?

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I was just at a Pella seminar and they have a tested triple pane with 3mm, 4mm and 5 mm which test at 36. That would be Lifestyles triple pane STC

For sound reduction acrylic storm panels you will need to go to 1/4" thick to get the benefit yuo are looking for.

theWindownerd.com

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

Looks like the Pella Lifestyles has no double hungs, only casement , awnings and picture Windows. I was unable to download there cross section , does this window feature a removable interior pane or is a triple pane all within one spacer? Either way there must be one larger air space? What is the overall thickness of there glass pack. Does the Lifestyles use roll form cladding or is it extruded?

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Todd Lifestyles would be extruded on the frame, roll formed on the sash.
LIfestyles triple pane is a cross between Designer and Proline. The inner most pane is not part of the IGU.