Sunrise Restoration Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
GuyFromVa

Sunrise Restoration Windows

#1 Post by GuyFromVa »

Hello All! I have pretty much decided on Sunrise Restorations windows but I had a few questions for the experts! I live on a busy street so I was going to get the dual pane NRG (dissimilar) glass they offer for the bedrooms. Has anyone here installed or purchased windows with that option? Does it work? I scoured the internet but I don't hear many people talk about it.

Also, I have heard a lot about the windows "weak sash". I have a lot of 32 inch width double hung windows - Is this going to be bad? I hear the DH's might be ok for narrower windows. Are the windows going to smile at me?

I also have access to Softlites and OKNA's in my area, but unfortunately they were out of my price range.

Thanks in advance!

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Sunrise Restoration Windows

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I do the NRG glass on multiple jobs per month. Customers seem to love it. A story for you... I had a longtime customer buy a new house to sale. He “cheated” on me and used another a supplier for this house that was about 70ft from the interstate. After a long time he finally got the house under contract with the stipulation he replace the brand new windows with “sound proof” windows. (For clarification they aren’t sound proof but greatly reduce the transition of sound) he called me to replace these brand new windows with Restorations with NRG and the new homeowner wrote us a letter letting us know how unbelievable the difference was.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is your "area" of VA?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

@GuyfromVA, if one of your quotes was not from Windows and Washington, and if they serve your area, you need to give them a call. They won't be the cheapest in town, but they are fairly priced on an excellent window and installation. Great group of people over there... If by chance you have been in contact with them already, I'd recommend getting a hold of Eric the owner. I'm sure that he'd be happy to take a look at things for you and see if there was a possible pricing error, or some other sort of solution for you. You have three very important factors in this decision, and they are a great product, great installation, and great company that you can trust to serve you both now and down the road. All three boxes are most certainly checked with WoW, even if a price premium exists.

Oberon

#5 Post by Oberon »

I am going to get way off topic here, but I am a nerd and haven't done it in way too long...

GuyFromVa, my apologies ahead of time!

When we are born, we are able to hear roughly 20 to 20,000hz, but we tend to lose our sensitivity to higher frequencies as we get older. In general we are most sensitive to sound in the 2000hz to 5000hz spectrum, and the range of the human voice is roughly 100hz - 3000hz.

The formula to determine coincidence dip, or the frequency where sound can most easily transit through a sheet of glass is: frequency (hz) = 12500/glass thickness (mm).
Applying the formula gets us:

2mm = 6250hz
3mm = 4167hz
4mm = 3125hz
5mm = 2500hz
6mm = 2083hz
8mm = 1563hz
10mm = 1250hz
12mm = 1042hz

Humans are born with the ability to hear roughly 20 to 20,000hz, but we generally lose our sensitivity to higher frequencies as we get older. We are most sensitive to sound in the 2000hz to 5000hz spectrum, and the range of the human voice is roughly 100hz - 3000hz.

What's really interesting, and potentially frustrating, and seemingly almost counter-intuitive is that while thicker glass is better at overall sound blocking, the thicker the glass the lower the coincidence dip.

Obviously why using two different thicknesses of glass to lower sound works at improving sound attenuation is because of the different frequency of the coincident dip in the different thicknesses tend to cancel one another out.

What about laminated glass then? Well in addition to the damping effect of the softer interlayer between the lites, laminated glass combines the two lites to equal the performance of a single lite of that thickness, but it does so without lowering the coincidence dip as a monolithic lite would do.

In other words, 12mm laminated glass consisting of two lites of 6mm glass would block the same amount of sound as a single 12mm monolithic lite, but the coincidence dip would be 2083hz of 6mm and not the 1042hz of 12mm mono-glass.

So what about using two different glass thicknesses in laminated glass for even better sound performance (compared to laminated glass made with two lites of the same thickness)? Say a 4mm and an 8mm lite combined to make the same thickness 12mm laminated lite like the two 6mm lites from the previous example? It seems intuitive that it would have the advantages of both thicker 12mm and mismatched lites...but that doesn't seem to be the case and frankly I don't know why. I would conjecture it's due to the interlayerbetween the lites and not an airspace, but ?

Cool stuff!

GuyFromVa

#6 Post by GuyFromVa »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:40 pm I do the NRG glass on multiple jobs per month. Customers seem to love it. A story for you... I had a longtime customer buy a new house to sale. He “cheated” on me and used another a supplier for this house that was about 70ft from the interstate. After a long time he finally got the house under contract with the stipulation he replace the brand new windows with “sound proof” windows. (For clarification they aren’t sound proof but greatly reduce the transition of sound) he called me to replace these brand new windows with Restorations with NRG and the new homeowner wrote us a letter letting us know how unbelievable the difference was.
Thanks windowClinic! That gives me some reassurance. I appreciate it!

GuyFromVa

#7 Post by GuyFromVa »

Windows on Washington wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:25 pm Where is your "area" of VA?
WOW - I am in your area! I used you guys back in 2012... awesome experience! Kevin is the man - seems like he is no longer there though. Unfortunately the cost was out of my budget this time around. I can vouch for your service, installation, and product. I hear the restorations window is pretty good so I am giving it a shot as it falls within my budget.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

The dissimilar glass works according to STC numbers whether or not it will meet your expectations is a roll of the the dice. In general a new window often better acoustically , I have had several customers claim better sound reduction with a standard glass package. Windows in Washington is highly recommended and me personally I prefer the Okna or Soft -Lite in Double hung for there seemingly stronger frame and sashes .

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

GuyFromVa wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:47 pm
Windows on Washington wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:25 pm Where is your "area" of VA?
WOW - I am in your area! I used you guys back in 2012... awesome experience! Kevin is the man - seems like he is no longer there though. Unfortunately the cost was out of my budget this time around. I can vouch for your service, installation, and product. I hear the restorations window is pretty good so I am giving it a shot as it falls within my budget.
Guy...call or email me. Thanks.

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

Eric
703-378-1190

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Windowsdirecectcincy
I do like the Sunrise NRG glass, i think its a great, more affordable alternative to laminated.
Is NRG triple pane or double pane? Im guessing they make the spacing uneven?

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

Looks like it is 3/16ths on the outer pane and 1/8th on inside pane. The laminated NRG glass would be 1/8 on the outer and a 1/4” laminated glass on the inner.

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

toddinmn wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:47 pm Looks like it is 3/16ths on the outer pane and 1/8th on inside pane. The laminated NRG glass would be 1/8 on the outer and a 1/4” laminated glass on the inner. I don’t know the overall thickness of the IG package for either.

WindowsDirectCinci

#13 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

masterext wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:15 pm Windowsdirecectcincy
I do like the Sunrise NRG glass, i think its a great, more affordable alternative to laminated.
Is NRG triple pane or double pane? Im guessing they make the spacing uneven?
Double pane and as Todd described below

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#14 Post by masterext »

The actual glass itself is 3/16 and 1/8 ?

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

Yes , if you’re Canadien roughly 3 mm and 5 mm .