Pella Pro Line Replacement Sashes - Best Options?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
asheville_jeff

Pella Pro Line Replacement Sashes - Best Options?

#1 Post by asheville_jeff »

Have a number of Pella Pro Line windows (installed in 2001 - out of warranty) that have suffered from the seal issue allowing the wooden frame on the sash to rot. I need to replace and would optimally like to use a vinyl or fiberglass product and just replace the sashes using existing and windows. Existing windows are unstained, natural wood with aluminum cladding.

I plan on looking into Impervia since I think the tan options with white exterior might fit both aesthetically and dimensionally. Any experience with other options that might also work? Hardware (especially latching mechanism could pose challenges). Also - the reviews on the Impervia (read here) were less than stellar.

I really like the options of no painting/finishing and triple pane glass.

Thoughts/comments/recommendations?

Thx!

Windows on Washington

Re: Pella Pro Line Replacement Sashes - Best Options?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

How are the frames? Insert candidate?

I am intrigued. The windows that you had rotted out and you want to consider a window from the same supplier? Listen...clad wood windows rot at some point, but I can guarantee you that this didn't just start this year.

asheville_jeff

#3 Post by asheville_jeff »

Frames are in decent shape. The seal between the exterior cladding and wood frame/glass failed - allowing water intrusion that mostly affects the sash. There was a class action lawsuit that was settled with no fault admitted.

You have a good point on the wood eventually rotting at some point. Also agree this has been an ongoing challenge. For the one repair I've had done - the pella installer recommended "re-caulking" the interface between the wood/glass on all the windows. That has helped mitigate some of the damage or at least exasurbation of the problem.

My hope is that from a cost perspective and installation perspective - replacing the sashes would be the most economical. To do that I would probably need to use the same supplier and was considering switching to their fiberglass product.

Make sense?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Just curious as to why you would want pella impervia since most pro’s view that product as being sub standard specifically when it comes to air infiltration ratings.
I also happen to think its a rather cheap looking window and flimsy.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

What are the air infiltration ratings?
What product would you suggest?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

I believe it’s a .2 and possibly a .22 which is horrible.
As for the window i would suggest? Thats irrelevant since i am not buying windows and i have no idea what state the OP resides in. However, im sure you would suggest the exact opposite of what any of the other posters would recommend since thats what you seem to do.
Im guessing the lock down doesnt affect you since you arent busy anyway?

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Just curious since I could not find the numbers.
If they are looking for a non vinyl product with good air numbers it might be hard to find. Very busy now, we have not slowed down and booked till end of June .

masterext

#8 Post by masterext »

Todd
Im sure you are a great employee at that bowling alley.
lol

asheville_jeff

#9 Post by asheville_jeff »

I live in Asheville. I'm not married to Pella Impervia - I was just hopeful that:
- there would be interchangeability between product lines - since I would really like to keep the current frames
- I could find a product that was resistant/impervious to rot
- would love to upgrade to a triple pane glass

I am seeing some air infiltration around the weather stripping. It has gotten worse over the years and I fully expect it needs to be replaced. Any other sashes that could work would be very helpful. I have a non-stained wood interior (so a tan or the like) and white cladding.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

Inserts are all pretty much universal and almost any brand would work. I would suggest a quality brand white vinyl window, but if you are doing this yourself many of the better brands are regional and may be hard to find if buying product only.

asheville_jeff

#11 Post by asheville_jeff »

Thanks for the feedback. Pella stated that they there was no interchangability between product lines - so an Impervia Casement Sash would not work with a proline window. Possibly they would prefer to sell complete windows? I don't see what that would be an issue - as long as the sashes were the same size and installed on the same hardware with the same latching mechanism - but they were clear that the weather stripping fit well.

Again - you can hang any door in a door frame of the right size and apply weather stripping - I struggle to see why a window is so different - maybe a tighter fit. I do have a lot of different size windows - but one in particular that has a fairly urgent need.

For the impervia - I had assumed that the sash would be well constructed. Bypass airflow would be a function of the hardware, window frame and weather stripping - is that not the case?

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

No it is not the case, particularly when you are crossing different base materials.
Look at Highmark/Okna vinyl, or Sunrise.

theWindowNerd.com

asheville_jeff

#13 Post by asheville_jeff »

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll start to look into them. Are you recommmending these for complete window replacements or just sash replacements?

In conducting further reviews - I see the new version of the Proline has much higher marks and I understand that they've addressed some of the key issues with the version I had. Possibly I upgrade to a pre-finished wood clad triple pane. The dated post on this site https://www.houzz.com/discussions/26342 ... la-proline from guy_exterior_man was really interesting.

Any comments on the Pella® Lifestyle Series?

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have installed Pella windows for 30 years. I am a Certified partner. It is still difficult to believe a corp. that has continuously said they are the best when they continue to have rotting issues in 7 to 10 years. They say they have fixed it and changed the warranty, but the past is still troubling.
You need to give up on sash replacement, not going to work, not going to be cost effective, huge risk.
Two choices:
Insert replacement or full frame replacement.
Most product choices you will look at can work with either install method. Besides finding the right product for you, then you need to find the right contractor is adept and objective in helping you figure out what is best for you with the pro's & cons of each method with cost for both.
I have discussed this many times on the board.

Best, theWindowNerd

asheville_jeff

#15 Post by asheville_jeff »

Whoa - that doesn't sound promising. I have one sash replacement installed due to a complete failure and it is working ok (for now)... but that looks like an exact replacement - so maybe proline and lifestyles even don't interface. Can you help me understand the "why" a sash replacement wouldn't work?
- I get the rigidity of the window will be important.
- The dimensions around how and where the hardware is attached will be important.
- The weather stripping
- The dimensions of casement (probably needs to be very close to what is currently installed to prevent excessive side intrusion and the right compression against the weather stripping.

Great advice on a the right contractor. I guess I could save the trim and jamb extensions (I have 6" studs).