Company installed different windows that quoted

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ZachD

Company installed different windows that quoted

#1 Post by ZachD »

Hello! Going thru an ordeal with a window company.... I agreed to some Alside Messo windows. After they were installed I learned they are actually MI windows. I found almost all horrible reviews on them. But maybe Mezzos are about the same quality? Should take an issue with this like a discount for not honoring contract? It just seems like MI are cheap windows and no one really likes them. Any advise on the comparison between the two, or advise on how I should handle this would be greatly appreciated!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Company installed different windows that quoted

#2 Post by masterext »

to be honest, i dont think there is any difference between the two in terms of quality. one is no worse than the other.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1. There isn't like a huge qualitative spread there between the two. It's just a more disastrous indicator on the company more than anything.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

If it’s written in the contract Id put up. Might as well at least try for a discount or if you really preferred the other have them switch it out.

ZachD

#5 Post by ZachD »

Thanks for replies. It just seems MI are the most dogged window company out there. So many negative reviews. And yes in contract it clearly says I would get Alside Mezzos. I read that Window World uses Mezzos and MI windows and then puts their own stickers on them. Is that true?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

I imagine you researched the quality of the windows used by window world considering you came to this forum. You seem research oriented. You liked what you read about window worlds quality ?
What was it that you liked about their reputation regarding window quality?

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

Whether or not the windows are equal in quality, doesn’t excuse the company from installing a different window than you contracted for. I agree with Todd on contacting them and letting them know that you expect the company to follow the terms of the contract and change the windows out. If they offer you a discount, you may choose to take it and keep the MI Windows, but it should be your choice.

WindowsDirectCinci

#8 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I personally would prefer the Mezzo to any of the MI windows. Even with its hollow frames & stick on weatherstripping I think it’s better. The sash slop I’ve seen on MI is the worst I’ve ever seen. May not be the case all the time but I’ve seen it more than once.. The two products are usually close in pricing I believe so it may not have been a scrupulous way to make extra $. Could’ve been just human error.

Yes Window World private labels both of those products and the franchise owner can choose which to sell.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Solid advice offered above. If the window model was specified in the contract and its not what you received, you have a valid complaint. Neither of these windows are highly regarded by quality-minded professionals, but I'd also agree with the sentiment that this is probably a slight downgrade for you. I'm not sure if its worth all the hassle to demand new windows, but certainly some compensation for this swap is in order IMO.... Not to mention the other sentiments already shared that this is some pretty repulsive behavior in switching product without your approval.

If on the other hand, you purchased product based on a private label name and features that this window does have, that would be a more difficult position for you.