Replacing current windows with smaller windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
turnkey

Replacing current windows with smaller windows

#1 Post by turnkey »

Hello!

My fiance' and I are remodeling a 115 year old craftsman house, and the windows definitely need replaced. They have been caulked over and some of the weights have already broken.

I know that you can install a replacement window that is slightly smaller, and that it is common practice for them to have 1/4" or more extra space on top and sides when doing so.

My dilemma is this - instead of ordering custom windows, is it possible to install say a 29" x 45" replacement into a 32" x 50-1/2" opening by just replacing the inside stops with thicker pieces to accommodate the extra space? As opposed to reframing a smaller opening altogether?

We have about 15 windows to replace and the sizing is similar throughout. Not opposed to reframing a smaller opening, but not sure if that would even be the best way to make up for small sizing differences?

Thank you,

-Stefan
Last edited by turnkey on Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacing current windows with smaller windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Theoretically, yes. But, why?

You can order a custom sized replacement from your local lumber yard and there is little to no charge for the size increments in this case. Anything you get off a big box shelf is going to be a bottom tier product. Make sure that you get a proper replacement in this case and one that will live a good and happy life.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

I would not advise that unless you want to make the house devalued and a complete abomination.

turnkey

#4 Post by turnkey »

Yeah, didn't think this would be a great idea. Getting custom fit windows. Thank you -

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

DE Mike you are so gentle. :D