New construction windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Brendanschuler

New construction windows

#1 Post by Brendanschuler »

Hello all. I am replacing my 34 year old windows with new construction windows.. using the Harvey classic vinyl windows with attached 3 inch flat casing and a j channel for vinyl with nail fin.. I removed the trim on my existing windows and struggling with what to use for measurments.. the window casing has longer casing legs in the top and the bottom with the pitched sill nose.. originally I would measure the basement and have my size but what do I measure for these? The top of the entented piece to the bottom extended piece.?? The sill plate and the header are 1 1/4 inch above and below the header plate and the sill - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Delaware Mike

Re: New construction windows

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

The sizing in regard to the height should be determined from the rough sill to the header from interior. You want to have enough room to level, square, and plumb, plus get spray foam around sides and head gap to the R/O. I like about 1/2" gap for that. Sizing may depend on what is going on with the exterior veneer too?

What brought you to that builder's grade 1990 era Harvey Classic by the way? I just put 30 of those in a million dollar beach house that I had nothing to do with the selection of the windows. Pretty much the worst windows that I've let my tools touch in 25-years sorry to say. That thing has as much dated tech in it's build features as a Sony Betamax.

Brendanschuler

Re: New construction windows

#3 Post by Brendanschuler »

Okay got ya. I removed the trim on the inside but like I said where the sill sits it has little jam extension/ legs on left and right that actually drop down another 1 1/4 inch so wasn’t sure as far as putting a lot bigger of a window in or if I should just measure to bottom of existing sill and irnkte the extra 1 1/4 inch. Top has a gap too so not sure what to do.. I like the all vinyl Harvey windows especially having full interior trim kits and 3 inch flat casing on exterior with j channel to accept my existing vinyl as wel as a sill nose.. would you Recommend another brand name that’s not insane price wise with the same features? Basically getting one window complete for 477$