MI 1556 Window vs NT Window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dhabeg

MI 1556 Window vs NT Window

#1 Post by dhabeg »

We recently had a fire at home that pretty much destroyed it. I would say about 80% of it is getting rebuilt. One thing that is getting replaced are all of the window.s They are pushing the MI 1556 Double Hung Windows. I had replaced all of the windows about 5 years ago with NT Windows. The reviews that I read about the MI Windows are not the best and was wondering which is the better window. They tell me that the MI window that I see in the reviews on is not the builder grade window that they are recommending.

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: MI 1556 Window vs NT Window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

MI are mostly thought of as builders grade. That prevailing opinion is pretty consistent.

I certainly would not allow for a downgrade in product as they rebuild your home. So sorry to hear of the fire. I hope that no loved ones were injured or lost during this process.

WindowsDirectCinci

#3 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

That model is the mid grade window for a low end manufacturer. The 1650 is their best product and most window pros still wouldn’t recommend that product. The air leakage rate on their best product is in the high teens, which you will undoubtedly experience draftiness.

dhabeg

#4 Post by dhabeg »

Thank you so much for your response. Yes we all got out of the house, but did lose a pet.

Your opinions on the MI windows are what I was seeing and so glad you confirmed. What are your thoughts on the NT Windows? Not sure what series they are proposing, since the supplier is really pushing the MI Windows to our contractor. I believe that the replacement windows that I had installed in 2013 were the NT Solar series. I never had any problems with them. What are you thoughts on these windows.

Thanks

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am sorry to hear that. They certainly count as loved ones in my book.

WindowsDirectCinci

#6 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I have no experience with NT so I wouldn't be much help

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

NT is a good choice for mid-grade vinyl windows, and a much better choice than anything from MI.