Need to Maximize the Light Coming Through My Windows!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Biggdan

Need to Maximize the Light Coming Through My Windows!

#1 Post by Biggdan »

I’m looking to replace 8-12 old aluminum windows in a 40 yr old home we recently purchased in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. We have a heavily treed lot that doesn’t allow much sun in at all and in fact only two small bathroom windows face south and the four windows that face East or west are shaded in the summer. Our three biggest windows (30" x 71" each) all face north and never get any direct sun.

Our biggest concern is getting as much light In the windows as possible because the house doesn’t have enough to start with and tends to be too dark inside. Our utility bills even with these old leaky windows are not bad as our home is smaller since we downsized as kids went off to college (1655 sq ft) and we have so much shade.

Thus, we have gone back and forth on either a thin frame vinyl window or going back to aluminum. Right now I’m leaning towards aluminum because I can’t bare the thought of losing 4-5” of light on the sides and top/bottoms of all our windows. I understand that the vinyl windows can be more energy efficient but Don Young and NT Windows have well lauded aluminum windows that aren't bad in that category (.38-.44 U-Factor and .23-.3 SHGC depending on options and brand) but more importantly has narrow frames and a .52-.55 VT.

We also understand that aluminum is usually more expensive and we are pretty price sensitive but value focused (best bang for our limited $) as my wife had breast cancer last year and we are still paying medical bills.

Any comments, recommendations, past experiences or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Need to Maximize the Light Coming Through My Windows!

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

How large are the current aluminum frames from edge of interior drywall to edge of glass? I just want to see what you are working with here so that you are using an accurate number for what you might loose with a vinyl replacement window.

No matter what you do, you should use a low-e in the new windows. Otherwise, replacing them doesn't make much sense if your current units are double pane. If they are, it actually make zero sense to replace them.

Based on the SHGC that you are seeing in those DY windows, it is probably still based on a Low-e 366 (because most of Texas windows would be). Ask them if they have a 2 coat Low-e option (i.e. Low-e 272).

https://www.cardinalcorp.com/technology ... nce-stats/

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

When I think of maintaining visible glass area in your situation I think TBA( thermally broken aluminum) or fiberglass.
So either DY or Marvin would be where I would start.

theWindowNerd.com

Biggdan

#4 Post by Biggdan »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:49 am How large are the current aluminum frames from edge of interior drywall to edge of glass?
It's about 1 5/16" from the edge of the drywall to the edge of the glass on the sides. On the bottom it's about 2" but on the top it's virtually no space because the tops are recessed into the frame in such a way that it makes it pretty flush. The middle break is only about 1 3/16".

The problem with the current windows is that they are fogged up, nearly all of them, and they do leak pretty badly.
Last edited by Biggdan on Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biggdan

#5 Post by Biggdan »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:49 am When I think of maintaining visible glass area in your situation I think TBA( thermally broken aluminum) or fiberglass.
So either DY or Marvin would be where I would start.

theWindowNerd.com
That's what I've been persuing except I haven't looked at Marvin. I have looked at NT Windows Twinsulator but the rep that NT Windows sent me to really tried to discourage aluminum all together. He said his crews didn't like putting them in. That was disappointing because NT has slightly better efficiency ratings that DY has.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

"The problem with the current windows is that they are fogged up, nearly all of them, and they do leak pretty badly."
Potentially reglazing would fix the seal failure, but not the leaking.
Reglazing can be tricky cuz you want a minimum 10 year seal failure warranty and you have to have glazing beads.
One nice thing your windows are not monster Texas size. So most anything well made will work.
The Marvin fiberglass are probably going to be double that of good vinyl or TBA.

wayne thewindownerd

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Biggdan wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:57 pm
Windows on Washington wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:49 am How large are the current aluminum frames from edge of interior drywall to edge of glass?
It's about 1 5/16" from the edge of the drywall to the edge of the glass on the sides. On the bottom it's about 2" but on the top it's virtually no space because the tops are recessed into the frame in such a way that it makes it pretty flush. The middle break is only about 1 3/16".

The problem with the current windows is that they are fogged up, nearly all of them, and they do leak pretty badly.
Drywall on the side is going to be 1/2" so your actual edge of frame to edge of glass is about 1.75" in total frame size. Just for the reflection of the record, thin frame vinyl will run about 2.75" from edge to glass so your total glass loss would be about 2" on the aggregate width if they cut the drywall jambs back vs. installing on top of them.

Thermally broken aluminum is probably your best bet here though. And I would ask about the different glass Low-e ranges given you are covered by trees. See the link from before.

Biggdan

#8 Post by Biggdan »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:26 am "The problem with the current windows is that they are fogged up, nearly all of them, and they do leak pretty badly."
Potentially reglazing would fix the seal failure, but not the leaking.
Reglazing can be tricky cuz you want a minimum 10 year seal failure warranty and you have to have glazing beads.
One nice thing your windows are not monster Texas size. So most anything well made will work.
The Marvin fiberglass are probably going to be double that of good vinyl or TBA.

wayne thewindownerd
How will Marvin Essentials Single Hung compare to the DY Single Hung price wise?

Also, do you service DFW? I'm confused by the "New Jersey/DFW" description. That's a HUGE territory! :lol:

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Compare VT numbers with the same glass and you'll get a feel for the frame sizes.