Tempered Glass Required for Palladium Window?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Stiletto

Tempered Glass Required for Palladium Window?

#1 Post by Stiletto »

I have a 36x72 palladium round top located above my home's entrance. It has a 10x56 sidelite on either side of it. All of this is located above the main entrance to my home, and the bottom edge of the glass is 9 feet above the floor.
You can see it from the exterior here http://pc.cd/tpoitalK

My understanding is that this situation does not require tempered or laminated glass, and two of three quotes I received from reputable dealers that carry the top of the line Soft-Lite and Sunrise windows are in agreement. The existing windows are not tempered or laminated. A new quote I received today from a smaller company insists that this is not correct, and claims that residential building codes mandate that a glass window of that size above an entryway requires tempered glass ($330 mandatory up charge). I am not aware of any HOA or local city or county ordinances that require it.

I've read a ton of articles on this and nowhere have I seen any requirement for tempered glass located this high above an entryway, where neither a person could fall into the window or a door might swing open and hit it. But of course I am not an expert on the topic.

I'd really like to hear your opinion on this if you care to share.
Thanks, once again!!

Randy

Re: Tempered Glass Required for Palladium Window?

#2 Post by Randy »

Tempered glass is not required in that window.

"Glazing adjacent to a door where the nearest exposed edge of the glazing is within a 24- inch arc of either vertical edge of the door in a closed position and where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60- inches above the walking surface.” Emphasis added.

Stiletto

#3 Post by Stiletto »

Appreciate the response Randy, confirms what I've been told from the pros that install the most high-end vinyl windows in my area. Thank you sir!

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

You’re welcome. Best wishes on your project!

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with Randy.

I'll only add that you may want to confirm this with your local building dept just to be sure. States often have their own building code with minor variations, and then municipalities can do their own thing within reason as well. In all likelihood its not needed, but its never a bad idea to confirm. I find that with building inspectors, asking for permission is better than forgiveness, although as an installation company we depend on positive and recurring relationships with these guys where that is not as much of a concern for you... Just a thought.