Replacing windows - Now lost

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Tadcrazio

Re: Replacing windows - Now lost

#16 Post by Tadcrazio »

HomeSealed wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:02 pm Argon gas loss rate is a non-issue as long as you are talking about reputable manufacturers and assuming that the seal has not failed.
Take a closer look at the air infiltration and DP rating. That will tell you good bit as well.
Understood. I've been checking air infiltration and other ratings, I'm concerned with deal failures. Based on other comments in regards to the mezzos they have a high seal failure. I looked up the great lakes and saw some comments on seal failure. I just don't want that to be an issue in any of my windows.

It seems like Restorations is going to be my choice. I saw that the company pushing the plygem great lakes also have a partnership with Softlite so I'm going to inquire about those.

Tadcrazio

#17 Post by Tadcrazio »

Okay quote for soft lite came in, he was missing a window but easy enough to guess how much it would cost.

Here is what I am currently debating between.

1.) Soft-Lite - It's the "SoftLite Pro Double Hung" and 1 SoftLite Pro Picture Window (Low Profile)
Includes: Reinforced Meeting Rail,Double Strength Glass, SuperSpacer,Solar LowE/Argon, Lifetime Glass Breakage Warranty, Foam Wrap, Half Screen Foam filled Frame and Sash. $7,645.71 (with the missing window probably another $700)

2.) Sunrise Restorations - (quote still not sent to me.) 11 double hung and 1 picture window. From memory was $9,900

3.) Great lakes ComfortSmart - Included: Half Screen with Fiberglass Mesh, SmartCore in Frame and Sash with RigidCore Reinf, EZLock (ComboLok - Standard Color), Sound Control Glass, Lifetime Accidental Glass Breakage Warrany $7,945.23

I really like the Sunrise Warranty especially since it has PVC Frame and sashes and lifetime warranty will cover it (should never happen) for any crack,peel,fade,blister,pit or warping.It also has a more glass to frame ratio from what read which is nice. But the price for the great lakes and Soft-lite is better and it has the Sound Control glass. The warranty doesn't seem to be as good and for Great lakes anyways, they don't seem to cover any seal failures.

KennesawBaw

#18 Post by KennesawBaw »

Hey Tadcrazio,

Did you ever decide on what you are doing? I am also in the ATL metro and need window replacements. Who were the contractors you are debating between?

Tadcrazio

#19 Post by Tadcrazio »

KennesawBaw wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:07 am Hey Tadcrazio,

Did you ever decide on what you are doing? I am also in the ATL metro and need window replacements. Who were the contractors you are debating between?
I ended up going with Davis Window and door. Quite expensive, but from what I gathered only them and Pinnacle offered higher end windows. Pinnacle wasn't returning calls or emails so I ended up with Davis.

Aside from them it was MWT who is essentially selling a Alside Mezzo window. Window world who had the same window as MWT and then some random guy, AllCity I think? Super great reviews priced super low but comments here had me worried.

KennesawBaw

#20 Post by KennesawBaw »

Davis is the one carrying the Restorations? I see that they also carry ProVia. Did you ever consider those? WHo quoted you on the soft-lites?

Tadcrazio

#21 Post by Tadcrazio »

KennesawBaw wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:12 am Davis is the one carrying the Restorations? I see that they also carry ProVia. Did you ever consider those? WHo quoted you on the soft-lites?
Ahh the Soft-Lite quote came from visionaires. They were really pushing the Great Lakes windows even when i inquired about soft-lite they kept telling me i'm better off with great lakes.

I did not consider ProVia, quite honestly never heard of them until now. Just got my fingers crossed the Restorations serve me well. FWIW there is an 8week lead time on them.

Stiletto

#22 Post by Stiletto »

Tadcrazio wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:55 pm
KennesawBaw wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:07 am Hey Tadcrazio,

I ended up going with Davis Window and door. Quite expensive, but from what I gathered only them and Pinnacle offered higher end windows. Pinnacle wasn't returning calls or emails so I ended up with Davis.

Aside from them it was MWT who is essentially selling a Alside Mezzo window. Window world who had the same window as MWT and then some random guy, AllCity I think? Super great reviews priced super low but comments here had me worried.
You pretty much summed it up Tadcrazio wrt the dealers offering higher-end windows in metro ATL. For what its worth, Pinnacle doesn't do full-frame installations, only pocket. Only other player I know of other than the two you mentioned is North Georgia RW, but they only deal in Marvin Infinity Ultrex (significantly more $$$$ and the Marvin limited lifetime Ultrex warranty seems to have a LOT of exclusions).

Tadcrazio

#23 Post by Tadcrazio »

[/quote]
You pretty much summed it up Tadcrazio wrt the dealers offering higher-end windows in metro ATL. For what its worth, Pinnacle doesn't do full-frame installations, only pocket. Only other player I know of other than the two you mentioned is North Georgia RW, but they only deal in Marvin Infinity Ultrex (significantly more $$$$ and the Marvin limited lifetime Ultrex warranty seems to have a LOT of exclusions).
[/quote]

Thanks for this, hopefully I made a good decision with Davis.

I do need news doors, if you can recommend anyone for that :)

Stiletto

#24 Post by Stiletto »

Well, can't actually recommend anyone yet, but for doors you might want to check out North Georgia RW, they do Provia, Maxcraft, Thermatru and of course Marvin. Davis does Provia and Marvin. Someone else I've seen is Visionaire, they do Provia and Sierra Pacific. And Pinnacle does Provia. I haven't jumped into heavily researching doors yet, have my hands full with windows. But I've heard a lot of good feedback about Provia (but $$$). All four of those companies have excellent reviews everywhere I have looked, probably worth your time to check them out.
Keep me in the loop with what you find if you don't mind, sounds like I will be going down the same path as you.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#25 Post by masterext »

Provia costs more because they make the best door out of that group.

Stiletto

#26 Post by Stiletto »

masterext wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:35 am Provia costs more because they make the best door out of that group.
Yes, that's what I have repeatedly heard from other industry veterans as well. I have been quoted a Maxcraft MG3671DD 8/0 mahogany veneer fiberglass double-door with Ice Crystal Bevels and Patina Caming for about $4700 installed (hardware extra), but when I checked around I did not find much love among pros for Maxcraft at all. Is it true their fiberglass doors are made overseas (China)?
I decided to hold off on upgrading my front entrance with a new door until I can complete more in-depth research and possibly scrape together a more bucks to consider a door with a better reputation for quality, like a Provia.

Tadcrazio

#27 Post by Tadcrazio »

Stiletto wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:29 pm Well, can't actually recommend anyone yet, but for doors you might want to check out North Georgia RW, they do Provia, Maxcraft, Thermatru and of course Marvin. Davis does Provia and Marvin. Someone else I've seen is Visionaire, they do Provia and Sierra Pacific. And Pinnacle does Provia. I haven't jumped into heavily researching doors yet, have my hands full with windows. But I've heard a lot of good feedback about Provia (but $$$). All four of those companies have excellent reviews everywhere I have looked, probably worth your time to check them out.
Keep me in the loop with what you find if you don't mind, sounds like I will be going down the same path as you.

Thanks, I might just go fairly inexpensive from home depot.. I can't see myself spending that much money on doors and install for a house that only cost 300K.. :/

Stiletto

#28 Post by Stiletto »

Tadcrazio wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:32 pm Thanks, I might just go fairly inexpensive from home depot.. I can't see myself spending that much money on doors and install for a house that only cost 300K.. :/
I think HD carries the Maxcraft doors as well. Not sure what other brands they carry. Just be careful of their installers, I have found their competency to be all over the place. I have had some excellent experiences, and some turned into the nightmare on Elm Street. $300k ain't nothing to sneeze at bro when a good portion of folk in the South live in single and double-wides!

Tadcrazio

#29 Post by Tadcrazio »

Stiletto wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:20 pm
Tadcrazio wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:32 pm Thanks, I might just go fairly inexpensive from home depot.. I can't see myself spending that much money on doors and install for a house that only cost 300K.. :/
I think HD carries the Maxcraft doors as well. Not sure what other brands they carry. Just be careful of their installers, I have found their competency to be all over the place. I have had some excellent experiences, and some turned into the nightmare on Elm Street. $300k ain't nothing to sneeze at bro when a good portion of folk in the South live in single and double-wides!

Appreciate that, I'll have to do a bit more research. I'm absolutely blessed to have been able to buy the house, my comment is more in regards to rate of return. It's just two doors. Buying a door for less than $500 vs spending several thousands, I'm just not sure it's worth it and I should definitely be pinching pennies I just can't stand these old wood doors with giant gaps and single pane windows.

TheWindowNerd

#30 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Doors:
For the best bang for the buck Therma Tru will do well.
You do need to know how to spec the door, you need a rot resistant or composite frame. Prefinihed stain or paint is an option that is expensive. If you have more time than money you can paint or stain the doors yourself. You can hardly do it as well as the factory, spraying and baking.
Doors are more difficult than windows to install well. I agree not to trust a big box with the install.

wayne thewindownerd