Replacing windows - Now lost

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Tadcrazio

Re: Replacing windows - Now lost

#31 Post by Tadcrazio »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:22 am Doors:
For the best bang for the buck Therma Tru will do well.
You do need to know how to spec the door, you need a rot resistant or composite frame. Prefinihed stain or paint is an option that is expensive. If you have more time than money you can paint or stain the doors yourself. You can hardly do it as well as the factory, spraying and baking.
Doors are more difficult than windows to install well. I agree not to trust a big box with the install.

wayne thewindownerd
Great stuff Wayne. Thank you.

Tadcrazio

#32 Post by Tadcrazio »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:22 am Doors:
For the best bang for the buck Therma Tru will do well.
You do need to know how to spec the door, you need a rot resistant or composite frame. Prefinihed stain or paint is an option that is expensive. If you have more time than money you can paint or stain the doors yourself. You can hardly do it as well as the factory, spraying and baking.
Doors are more difficult than windows to install well. I agree not to trust a big box with the install.

wayne thewindownerd
Hey Wayne,

not to keep off topic but as I'm getting door quotes for Therma-Tru i noticed the price over $1200 per door/installation. One of the sales reps told me the Therma-Tru sold at Homedepot/lowes is not the same as the door they will install. That Home Depot sells a fiberglass and wood mix door vs theirs that is fully fiberglass. Not sure if this is true or not?

I also got a quote for 2 provia doors he said was superior at $3500 total for 2 exterior doors that are both 32x80. Was curious how that is for cost.

TheWindowNerd

#33 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Difficult to comment on price of doors without have the specs and actually running through quote software.

That was one of the things that is hard for a home owner to make sure the specs are good.

wayne theWindowNerd

Stiletto

#34 Post by Stiletto »

Tadcrazio,

I'm curious as to exactly which ThermaTru door and which Provia door you got those quotes on. They each make premium and not-so-premium models, depending on which were quoted (along with glass options) is going to dictate how good those quotes are.

I've got an existing 36x80" wood door with two full lite 10" side lites and a 10" transom. My wife wanted to convert that into two 30" 3/4 lite french doors in either the ThermaTru Classic Craft or the Provia Signet line, disposing of both the transom and the side lites. Unfortunately I'm told that neither Provia nor ThermaTru offer a 30" 3/4 lite door within those lines in the size we need :cry: We could get a custom sized door created, but I'm told that gets real pricey real quick. We might just go with a Provia Signet 36" door in the configuration we currently have. I did find the 30" french door configuration she wants in Maxcraft, but as I alluded to earlier, not much love for that brand among the knowledgeable pros I've spoken with.

Tadcrazio

#35 Post by Tadcrazio »

Stiletto wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:56 pm Tadcrazio,

I'm curious as to exactly which ThermaTru door and which Provia door you got those quotes on. They each make premium and not-so-premium models, depending on which were quoted (along with glass options) is going to dictate how good those quotes are.

I've got an existing 36x80" wood door with two full lite 10" side lites and a 10" transom. My wife wanted to convert that into two 30" 3/4 lite french doors in either the ThermaTru Classic Craft or the Provia Signet line, disposing of both the transom and the side lites. Unfortunately I'm told that neither Provia nor ThermaTru offer a 30" 3/4 lite door within those lines in the size we need :cry: We could get a custom sized door created, but I'm told that gets real pricey real quick. We might just go with a Provia Signet 36" door in the configuration we currently have. I did find the 30" french door configuration she wants in Maxcraft, but as I alluded to earlier, not much love for that brand among the knowledgeable pros I've spoken with.
Hey Stiletto,

That's actually a good question, I haven't seen as many good resources when it comes to doors as it comes to windows and i'm just kind of going with the flow here. Reviewing the quotes it doesn't say exactly what door from each line it is, just has the door size and the manufacturer. I will have to do ask the guys and get back to you.

TheWindowNerd

#36 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Stiletto,
Your existing frame size is a real limiter.
I would guestimate your frame size at 60.5" x 82"
A standard 2'/6" french would be 62.25" wide. No match for that.
Height is more of a problem with eliminating the transom. I would think you are looking for a 93" frame height.
You might have more selection if you look at a custom width french 3/4 lite glass( they for sure can do full light, in 2/6 3/4 lite they do not look like they have an embossed panel) and a single custom transom.
Provia or HMI or similar should be able to make for you.

wayne theWindowNerd

Stiletto

#37 Post by Stiletto »

Tadcrazio wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:17 pm
Stiletto wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:56 pm Tadcrazio,

Hey Stiletto,

That's actually a good question, I haven't seen as many good resources when it comes to doors as it comes to windows and i'm just kind of going with the flow here. Reviewing the quotes it doesn't say exactly what door from each line it is, just has the door size and the manufacturer. I will have to do ask the guys and get back to you.
Yeah, just be careful with where that flow takes you. You definitely want to know what you're buying (if you haven't already, talk to Davis about doors. You will learn a great deal that will help you make a better decision, even if you don't buy from them. Huge difference in appearance and construction, even within the same manufacturer, like between the Provia Signet and Heritage lines. Also, like with windows, take the time to read the manufacturer's warranty, especially the fine print. And don't forget the quality of the installation team.

Stiletto

#38 Post by Stiletto »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:25 am Stiletto,
Your existing frame size is a real limiter.
I would guestimate your frame size at 60.5" x 82"
A standard 2'/6" french would be 62.25" wide. No match for that.
Height is more of a problem with eliminating the transom. I would think you are looking for a 93" frame height.
You might have more selection if you look at a custom width french 3/4 lite glass( they for sure can do full light, in 2/6 3/4 lite they do not look like they have an embossed panel) and a single custom transom.
Provia or HMI or similar should be able to make for you.

wayne theWindowNerd
Thanks WindowNerd, your guesstimates are correct, for some reason when my home was built, builders were using this weird size frame with 10" sidelites instead of 12". HMI does not have distribution down here, so Provia would be my choice, but going custom is going to be pricey I've been told. I'm working on convincing the wife to stick with a 36x80" 3/4 lite single door in our current frame configuration with either half or 3/4 sidelites. I'm told it will be way cheaper than going custom, and Provia makes some beautiful Signet doors in that configuration. Still expensive, but I'm told it will be much less than something totally custom.