Quaker Vinyl Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
yville72

Quaker Vinyl Windows

#1 Post by yville72 »

Does anyone have experience with Quaker Windows Manchester series? I can get them for a good price since I am a commercial Quaker dealer, but I'm not sold on the quality of their vinyl. As for price, I dont mind paying a bit more knowing I plan on being in this house for at least 10 more years. I recently received pricing for supply only (I'm installing myself) from Okna, Soft lite, Quaker, Climate Solutions and Lang. Pricing is for 18 DH windows. All companies quoted their standard double pane glass with low e/argon, white interior and exterior, full screen, nail fin. Some were quoted with jamb extensions. All prices include tax. All of the windows have some sort of selling point. I like that Lang uses a true .08 thick vinyl mainframe with steel reinforcements at the meeting rails and has been in business for 67 years. Okna and soft lite use composite type reinforcements and get great air/water/DP ratings and have lifetime warranties. Quaker has a very low price, does use steel reinforcement at meeting rails. Just looking for some opinions. I really like what I see and hear regarding the Okna 600, just struggling with the price.

Okna 600: $5,890 includes primed jamb extensions factory applied, foam filled, block and tackle balances
Okna 500: $5,475.00 primed jamb extensions factory applied, foam filled, block and tackle balances.
Soft lite Imperial Elite: $5,500.00 no jamb extensions, foam filled, constant force balances
Lang Exterior Platinum 2400: $4,400.00 no jamb extensions, foam filled, constant force balances (direct pricing)
Quaker Manchester series: $3,500.00 with pre finished white pine jamb extension, block and tackle, (direct pricing)
Climate Solutions 8000: $4,300.00 no jamb extensions (direct pricing) constant force balances

Windows on Washington

Re: Quaker Vinyl Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Okna 500 or 600 are the most well vetted and best performers on that list. Very little spread in the total projects pricing so it's a "no brainer" for me.

yville72

#3 Post by yville72 »

Thanks. My understanding is the 500 does not have reinforcement in the sash at the meeting rail. In your experience working with that product, has that been a problem?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I have never had a bowed sash from Okna in nearly 15 years.

WindowsDirectCinci

#5 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

When considering the Okna is being quoted with jamb extensions the price between the windows isn't as large of a spread. Get it quoted without jamb extensions? Also I'm not familiar with Lang but I'd be concerned about a window with or without jamb extensions that cost less than 200 buck. When you figure in the cost of jamb extensions from the factory that's only like a $150 window and would likely put it at one of the lowest cost windows there are.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above. Where are you located?

The Okna lines are head and shoulders above the others in this comp. Pricing is probably much closer than you think as well if it has JE's and the others do not. Steel reinforcement is not desirable. Its highly conductive in most cases, and except in very large units or patio doors where the benefit could outweigh the drawback, its largely indicative of a low-end product. If you are concerned about strength, look at DP ratings more than the reinforcement. Be sure to consider air leakage, U value, shgc (location specific hence the question above), and condensation resistance as well. Other products like Softlite , Sunrise, Polaris, etc have products that would be better comps for your Okna options, but in this case you are comparing Mercedes to a few Yugos.