Window replacement - sanity check

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
913EE

Window replacement - sanity check

#1 Post by 913EE »

Been reading much of the information on this board in my own quest for replacement windows. I'm amazed at how much guidance the pros around here are willing and able to give.

So, given the knowledge here, I like to run my project by this group since I recently started looking to replace the wood single-pane windows (with storms) in my 1960-era home in the Kansas City metro.

My project:
16 total windows of varying sizes
- 3 @ ~36x66
- 8 @ ~36x54, half of these are "twins"
- 2 @ ~28x54
- 1 @ ~32x46
- 1 @ ~32x38
- 1 @ ~28x29

I've got three quotes at this point for pocket replacements.

First quote I got was for the Norandex Perfexion Gold at $10,700 installed, or the Perfexion Platinum at $13,700 installed.
Second was for Pella 250, for $14,400, installed.
Third is for the ProVia Endure at $12,900, installed, taxes included.

Now, given what I've read on this board, the Pella and Norandex aren't exactly considered great windows, and those quotes felt high to me with those products. The Endure seems to be a pretty well respected product and comparing just the U-factor and SHGC values to the Norandex that seems to pan out. And in comparison to the Pella quote, seems pretty reasonable. I have not yet tried to negotiate with any of these.

The companies/installers for each are all well-rated across a variety of sites online, so I'm not concerned with the work quality or service of any of them. The first two quotes are from companies that are primarily roofing/siding focused, while the third company is siding/windows focused. The third company also put much more effort into covering what they intended to do for the installation (removal, install, sealing, wrapping, etc), so I feel more informed there of what I'd be getting for the money.

From what I've read on here of other peoples' quotes, the Endure seems to be priced well. Seems to me that it is the obvious choice, but are there other manufacturers I should be looking at in the KC area? Should I be getting more quotes?

Thoughts?

On a related note, when I initially contacted the third company, I was thinking they'd be quoting me the Softlite Imperial LS based on some reviews I'd read online. However, they dropped their Softlite distributorship a few years ago and took on the Endure instead. They indicated that they'd started having difficulties with their rep after Harvey bought out Softlite and the former owner became less involved. Could be a localized issue, but it made me pause whether I wanted to try to find another installer that does Softlite.

Input is greatly appreciated!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Window replacement - sanity check

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Welcome to the forum.
1st I understand your 3 guys actions. WE left SL many years ago to QC issues.

Based on what you presented you are on point.
Endure is your best choice.

wayne theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Haven't really kicked the tires on the Endure just yet. The Imperial LS is a well reviewed product and while I haven't heard of any issues on supply side, it doesn't mean they aren't there.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

The endure is a pretty good window. I do like the soft lite imperial, its a solid product. I am not aware of any issues either. If there were, they certainly would be covered under the warranty.

913EE

#5 Post by 913EE »

Thanks all of you for the quick replies! Glad to know I'm on the right track.

How would you guys rate the Endura versus Sunrise Restorations? That's another one that I've noted is well received on this board and there's a well rated dealer/installer nearby. Just curious if there's a benefit to looking into that product beyond getting another pricing point?

Any other competitive vinyl products I should try to track down in the KC area?

As far as Softlite goes, the sales guy didn't say was a direct quality issue that made them leave; more along the lines of they weren't getting the support they had gotten before the buyout, so very much could have been down to the individual account rep. The example the sales guy gave was that they'd been having an ongoing difficulty with bulb seals being too stiff and making it hard to close/latch the windows. The advice they got was they should just cut the seals down until it worked better. This company didn't consider that a valid "fix" and in combination with other small things decided it was time to drop. Could have even just been a sales guy trying to put me off a product he didn't have anymore.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

i prefer the restorations. its a good looking window and a solid performer.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

" The example the sales guy gave was that they'd been having an ongoing difficulty with bulb seals being too stiff and making it hard to close/latch the windows. The advice they got was they should just cut the seals down until it worked better. This company didn't consider that a valid "fix" and in combination with other small things decided it was time to drop."
Okay so it was a sales guy, but the attitude and example are similar to what we had to deal with. SL was like if we didn't make it right, you the dealer fix it.
That doesn't fly here, you make it right, we will install it right.

If there was an Okna dealer near you you should look at that.

theWindowNerd.com