Window Sealants: Bostik (Siroflex) Duo-Sil?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Stiletto

Window Sealants: Bostik (Siroflex) Duo-Sil?

#1 Post by Stiletto »

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of pros regarding window sealants, especially a product called Duo-Sil. My inclination was that Quad or Quad-Max was the preferred way to go, but the head of the installation team I spoke with told me that they prefer Siroflex Duo-Sil, which they say has produced excellent results and is a lot easier for installers to work with.

Based on my research, Duo-Sil is a formulation of a urethane and acrylic emulsion (which to me = urethane + acrylic latex) that appears to be both and adhesive and a sealant. While I don't doubt that working and cleaning up with an acrylic latex based product is easier than one that requires mineral spirits for clean up, my gut tells me this might not be as good for exterior use and long term exposure to weather extremes as Quad or Quad-Max. Am I splitting hairs? I'd appreciate your opinions and thoughts if you care to share them, thanks in advance. FYI: this would be for a full frame window install with no nailing fin.
http://www.siroflexinc.com/duo-sil.php
https://www.bostik.com/us/Bostik-produc ... t-adhesive
Last edited by Stiletto on Sat May 09, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Sealants: Bostik (Siroflex) Duo-Sil?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Duo-Sil is a great interior option and is what we use. One the exterior, its all Quad and Quad Max.

Stiletto

#3 Post by Stiletto »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:26 am Duo-Sil is a great interior option and is what we use. One the exterior, its all Quad and Quad Max.
Thanks WoW, I greatly appreciate the response. Do your installers find that Quad and Quad Max are particularly difficult to work with? Is one easier for installers to work with versus the other? I'm told they are more "gooey" and not as neat, as well as being a chore to clean up.

Since you stated you use both, have you found particular applications where Quad is better fit than Quad Max, or vice versa? Thanks again for chiming in!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Quad Max is easier for the new user of the product. Quad is still tried and true, but tougher for the novice.

Stiletto

#5 Post by Stiletto »

Thanks WoW, I appreciate your input. I think I am going to request that my installers use QuadMax instead of the DuoSil. Hopefully that won't be an issue with them.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

They will not have any problems using Qmax. But they are going to charge you more cuz the Qmax is double the cost, maybe $5 a tube more.

theWindowNerd

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I still think the regular quad is better and for me easiest to use. Another great product is Vulkem 116 when used where aluminum or vinyl meets stucco and color matched to the stucco. Amazingly the caulking can really make the difference in a job, you can have a great installation, great aluminum work only to be offset by sloppy caulking. I have seen great aluminum work look bad by caulking and bad aluminum work look great by good caulking. I would consider having the installer use what they are more comfortable with.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:28 am Quad Max is easier for the new user of the product. Quad is still tried and true, but tougher for the novice.
Perfectly stated. Guys that have been using Quad forever are generally not fans of Quad Max, but for someone to pickup a caulk gun having worked with neither, Max is easier. These products are extremely tried and true as far as exterior sealants go.