Which window to buy in Western Mass.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Chose

Re: Which window to buy in Western Mass.

#16 Post by Chose »

Okna 600DX, Softlite, or Polaris do not have dealers that service Western Mass (near New York Border).
The Alside Mezzo, nor Pella 350 are not highly regarded here, so those choice is out.
I had Andersen 400 Series and A series in another house, and they were drafty, so they're out.
Kensington, Atrium 450, Simonton 5500, or Thermo Expert (made by Sunrise) double hung, new construction windows
are choices that are available.
Any thoughts on which are best of these windows?
Thank you.

toddinmn

#17 Post by toddinmn »

Looks like Kensington or Thermo Expert.Make sure the Thermo has sash reinforcement and is there upper line offering

Chose

#18 Post by Chose »

Question for all:
Okna, Soft-lite, or Polaris do not have dealers that service Western Mass (near New York Border).
In regards to which window will last longest, be the most energy efficient, and is affordable between Kensington Quantum 2, Atrium 450, Simonton 5500, or Thermo Expert (made by Sunrise) double hung, new construction windows, how would you rank them, best to worst?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#19 Post by masterext »

I defer to Todd’s response above.

Chose

#20 Post by Chose »

Help me understand why the Thermo Expert Sunrise or Essential Series is better than a Kensington Quantom 2 or a Simonton 5500?

toddinmn

#21 Post by toddinmn »

As I mentioned finding all the things others have allude to can be a daunting task. I wish I could help more but I have never seen the Kensington. I think the Sunrise equivalent is alright but I would be going out on a limb to recommend it. The Simonton is solid IMO but not upper end, it is a little bulky and the air numbers (whatever they are ) Are 2nd tier.

Chose

#22 Post by Chose »

I've narrowed my focus to a Sunrise window built to Sunrise Vanguard specs (local window company, window made by Sunrise), Simonton 5500, and Polaris Windows, either the Thermaweld or Ultraweld.
What are your thoughts about which is the better vinyl double hung replacement window and why?
I'm looking for the window that's very energy efficient, will last for 20 plus years, and an excellent quality.
My carpenter wants to install Andersen windows, as another alternative.

toddinmn

#23 Post by toddinmn »

Is your carpenter the installer regardless of brand?

Chose

#24 Post by Chose »

No.
Why do you ask?
If I hire my carpenter to install vinyl siding, he's not happy about possibly working with a sub who would be a certified installer from the window company. So I'll ask him which windows he can get from his supplier.
Meanwhile I'm getting more estimates from companies who do both siding and windows, then I'll decide.
Looking at replacement doublehung vinyl.
There's dozens of choices, and it's confusing because you have to weigh cost, energy efficiency, etc..
The Sunrise dealer only does windows. Another contractor, Mastic siding , only sells Ellison 1300 windows. A third company, Certainteed siding and Simonton 5500 windows. A fourth (not local) Alside Siding and Mezzo Windows.
Today is my last quote, and he's (not local) Certainteed Siding, and Polaris windows.
Any thoughts?

TheWindowNerd

#25 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Pick the best window then work out the rest.

wayne theWindowNerd.com