Help with Window World install and capping?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
aussiedad

Help with Window World install and capping?

#1 Post by aussiedad »

Hi, I see WW is not the best rated here, but I've signed a contract and given them a 50% deposit for 30 windows so I'm pretty much locked in. It's been a few weeks, so my windows should be in stock soon and ready for install. I have Hardiplank lap siding on my house. My neighbor just had their WW windows installed and they look great, but the window capping stopped short of the siding on the brick mold. The capping was presented to me as a way to protect the wood. Some of my brick mold is already rotting on the lower side, so I know this method will not prevent that. I was assuming the acceptable method was to cut the caulk at the brick mold, insert the capping and caulk between siding and capping. Am i incorrect? I have searched and searched, but I cannot find any pictures online of window capping installed on lap siding that shows the installation details. Thanks you any help.

Windows on Washington

Re: Help with Window World install and capping?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

How about a couple of pictures. How much rot is there?

aussiedad

#3 Post by aussiedad »

A couple samples.
Attachments
Rot
Rot
Rot
Rot

aussiedad

#4 Post by aussiedad »

They did assure me they would replace any rotten wood before capping

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

The capping should slide between the the brickmold and siding on the sides and under the drip cap on top.
At the sill the brickmold should be undercut so that aluminum goes under it. The aluminum on the underside of the sill should but tightly to siding and not be caulked. The head and the sill are the most important since the head prevents water from coming in and the sill is the fail safe for water that does. I would make sure they are putting in a brickmold bend into the aluminum unless you want if flat. I would also prefer that the aluminum follows that little step-up profile on the sill but most don’t do that.i also prefer that where the brickmold meets the sill that there is no caulking there since it is not needed and looks cleaner and gives water an easier path to escape. I also prefer that the caulk joint where the aluminum meets the to be color matched to the siding for a cleaner look. The best way to examine an aluminum job is to see it before it is caulked as the caulking can hide a lot of sins. The rot you have looks minimal and would be to replace, rot in sills is a bit more time consuming.

aussiedad

#6 Post by aussiedad »

toddinmn wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:18 am The rot you have looks minimal and would be to replace, rot in sills is a bit more time consuming.
The rot is widespread and it seems like it's a constant battle. I've replaced some of the sills and brick mold with pvc, but now everything looks inconsistent. Some of the high up windows (don't like tall ladders) I had repaired and they did a poor job with the pvc. I was hoping for a consistent maintenance free solution. Now I've got to figure out how to deal with WW on this capping issue. I wish I could post a pic of how they did my neighbors house, but I can't really just go over there and start snapping pictures and I hate to point out to them that I don't think it was done properly.

This is the best example I could find on the web. The side is on the brick mold is similar to this:

https://www.wdmore.com/pocket-vs-full-f ... te-siding/

Thank you for the reply

Ricknez

#7 Post by Ricknez »

You say that you know window world doesnt have the best reputation but yet you signed a contract anyway?
Cheap prices are cheap for a reason. You have to expect some form of incompetence when you go with a company who markets themselves soley to the price point customer.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

In my area Window World has stopped the low pricing ads and are priced a bit higher. They are all independently owned and I have seen good work from them, hope this is the case. Brickmold and window sills are easily repaired for capping and should look consistent when done. Hopefully you got a price on the repairs required before since in my experience Window World is or at least was in my experience notorious for add on charges. To bad when some one ask for help and they get beat up in a forum that is suppose to or at least should try to help.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I hear ya Todd, but there's also something to be said for someone that comes to a resource such as this and doesn't follow the strong consensus. Low and behold, here we see hack work.

@aussiedad, that said, we are aren't petty, so I'll agree with todd's point. That capping is laziness though. Its also part of the reason why the price is lower. Cutting between the brickmold and siding is time consuming, a little messy, and can cause damage to the siding if you aren't careful or skilled. If I was subbing installs at the rates that bargain type window companies pay (which I never would), I wouldn't want to take all of that on either. You may or may not get the same crew, but if you do see your installers capping like that, you should call in and let the manager know that you have concerns about it... OR, get out in front of it and let them know beforehand. Unfortunately, techniques like that also typically come from guys that muck up the water management system via the details that Todd described. I'd love to put your mind at ease, but that wouldn't be good counsel here. What we can do, is let you know what's right and wrong based on the concerns that you see throughout the process. Feel free to post up when things get going and we'll gladly help... even though you didn't follow our advice the in the first place! lol :wink:

aussiedad

#10 Post by aussiedad »

Ricknez wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:01 pm You say that you know window world doesnt have the best reputation but yet you signed a contract anyway?
Cheap prices are cheap for a reason. You have to expect some form of incompetence when you go with a company who markets themselves soley to the price point customer.

The contract was signed before I found this forum.

I got recommendations from neighbors, Facebook and Nextdoor. Although WW had several negative reviews on Yelp and similar sites, I could not find any negative comments in my area. Not from Social Media or my neighbors anyway.

Also, the negative reviews I found online seemed to be geared more toward sales issues and time to install (I wasn't in a big hurry anyway). Very few workmanship complaints
Last edited by aussiedad on Fri May 29, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aussiedad

#11 Post by aussiedad »

HomeSealed wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:39 pm OR, get out in front of it and let them know beforehand.
That's exactly what I hope to do. I don't know how much leverage I'll have since the contract is signed, but I'm definitely going to let them know I want all the wood capped and cut into the siding. Part of my issue is I haven't seen a proper capping job, so I don't know exactly what to look for. That said, the descriptions given here will help a lot.

Thanks for the reply

aussiedad

#12 Post by aussiedad »

toddinmn wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:36 pm In my area Window World has stopped the low pricing ads and are priced a bit higher. They are all independently owned and I have seen good work from them, hope this is the case. Brickmold and window sills are easily repaired for capping and should look consistent when done. Hopefully you got a price on the repairs required before since in my experience Window World is or at least was in my experience notorious for add on charges. To bad when some one ask for help and they get beat up in a forum that is suppose to or at least should try to help.
Thank you!

aussiedad

#13 Post by aussiedad »

Just an update, Salesman said they will do it either way I request. I guess it was a non-issue, or at least I hope it was. Time will tell.