three pane versus two pane

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Keridwen

three pane versus two pane

#1 Post by Keridwen »

Our number one reason for window replacement is energy efficiency. So we are favoring 3 panes......but went to Anderson Renewal today to browse and they only offer 2 panes and said they don't do 3 panes because they don't hold up well.

So...looking for some insight on this. Are 3 panes really a problem...or is Anderson wrong?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: three pane versus two pane

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Interesting that they don't have it and it is somehow because it is a problem.

The short answer is no, triple pane is not and issue for a well designed window. They have been used with great success for years now without issue.

That salesperson does not know what they are talking about.

booschang

#3 Post by booschang »

I am not impressed by Renewal either. The NFRC ratings are poor compared to others in that price range.

Here's what I know:
- A third pane presents another barrier to heat and divides the gas into 2 compartments. That is good.
- A third pane adds weight and cost. That is bad.
- Some 2 pane systems are more efficient than 3 panes. Some aren't.

Choosing the most efficient glass regardless of the number of panes is the way to go here. Also, consider U .30 a starting point rather than a destination. When it comes to your glass, a small difference in U value makes a big difference in comfort and efficiency. :wink:

booschang

#4 Post by booschang »

HomeSealed wrote:I haven't seen a 2-pane outperform a 3-pane given equal features (low-e, etc). The weight would be the only thing that could be a drawback, and the fact that you now have 2 spaces for possible seal failure, however it is uncommon and usually a warranty item when it does arise.
If all features were equal we wouldn't have much to talk about, would we ?? My point was that not all glass is created equal... and one should choose based upon performance, not the number of panes. :mrgreen:

buddy11

#5 Post by buddy11 »

Windows on Washington wrote:Interesting that they don't have it and it is somehow because it is a problem.

The short answer is no, triple pane is not and issue for a well designed window. They have been used with great success for years now without issue.

It's also interesting tha Andersen is coming out with a TP in their new Architectual series. I think they call it the A1

OP TP's not any more problematic than DP

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

Triple pane verses dual pane, Hmmmmmm. Yes there have been issues in the past with film discoloring in southern facing windows. They have also been responsible for some reflection issues that melt vinyl siding on the neighboring homes. In my own findings I honestly don't recommend using triple pane unless there's a noise issue or the house goes through an energy audit. The audit will tell me if the house is tight or leaking out somewhere. If the house is leaking out and the customer doesn't want to do repairs, double pane all the way. It's not worth spending the money on triple pane if the house is leaking out.

I've been tracking all my installs over the past few years and go back during certain times each year. The only two things I can see when comparing one to the other are two things. The interior is much quieter because the triple pane has a better SHTC than the other. The other thing I've noticed is frost on the glass of a window that has the shade drawn at night. The triple pane seems to always be free of any moisture with the double pane having moisture along the glass bottom.

Living in MN with Marvin & Andersen gives me the ability to see their products daily. I've never been an Andersen fan until they purchased Eagle Windows & Doors. The Eagle brand is a very good selection for product. I'll put my local manufacturer up against the other Andersen products seven days a week. I'll also put my installers against any so called "Certified Installers" with out hesitation. Marvin has some great products but they come with a hefty price tag.

If you choose to use a triple pane make sure the gas fill is something better than Argon, Argon/Krypton mix at least. The inert gases used in the industry really should be considered. It make's a substantial difference in a triple glazed unit.

Bottom line is "Installation". It's the gospel on any job. The job is only as good as the installers. Good Luck!!!

booschang

#7 Post by booschang »

buddy11 wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:Interesting that they don't have it and it is somehow because it is a problem.

It's also interesting tha Andersen is coming out with a TP in their new Architectual series. I think they call it the A1

Renewal reps are defensive because they know their product's limitations. They also say "vinyl windows are the disposable razor of the industry" (sales rep @ Baltimore Home Show 2010). Their own brochure shows that vinyl has better thermal transfer properties than their wood fiber enhanced polymer. They NEED a tripple pane option.

I still say choose based on performance over panes :)

buddy11

#8 Post by buddy11 »

booschang wrote:
buddy11 wrote:

Renewal reps are defensive because they know their product's limitations. They also say "vinyl windows are the disposable razor of the industry" (sales rep @ Baltimore Home Show 2010). Their own brochure shows that vinyl has better thermal transfer properties than their wood fiber enhanced polymer. They NEED a tripple pane option.

I still say choose based on performance over panes :)

Agreed. RBA reps also fail to mention that their window is 30% vinyl. :roll:

carle990

#9 Post by carle990 »

I use three pane when window replacement in my house It has been the best option recommended by the contractors but now I have already agreed that they were right and that the result of the windows was very good

Oberon

#10 Post by Oberon »

I am not disagreeing with your comment, but I am puzzled why you would open a 10 year old thread to make it?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Oberon wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:39 pm I am not disagreeing with your comment, but I am puzzled why you would open a 10 year old thread to make it?
I think it was mostly to post a link to something else. Although, by all accounts, link backing doesn't work.

Oberon

#12 Post by Oberon »

Okay, that makes sense
thanks Eric