Don Young Aluminum Windows for DFW

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
BigDave

Don Young Aluminum Windows for DFW

#1 Post by BigDave »

Just starting to research replacement windows for our house in Allen. 19 of our builder grade aluminum windows have blown seals. We need 22 windows (18 double hung and 4 picture windows).

I've done my best to look for info on windows in DFW but it is hard without a search function on the board.

I was able to see that Randy from Ultra Windows recommends DYC aluminum windows, but I was wondering why. According to their website the double hung has U factor of .43 and SHGC of .20 The SHGC is pretty good but the U factor is pretty mediocre.

I am just trying to figure out what quotes I should get.

Thx.
-Dave

Windows on Washington

Re: Don Young Aluminum Windows for DFW

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

There isn't much of a heating season as compared to many other parts of the country. The solar rejection (i.e. SHGC) is the more important data point in your climate. 0.43 isn't much to write home about, but the narrow profile more mimics what folks are used to down there and the radiant heat gain is the larger complaint.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I agree with everything WoW said, and will add that U-Value isn’t the be-all end-all on efficiency. For instance, Don Young’s 8200 series has an Air Leakage rating of .03 and that’s far superior to 90% of the vinyl windows sold in this state that leak like a sieve.

Additionally, because Texas homeowners generally prefer narrow frames to maximize glass space, many manufacturers have started churning out cheap vinyl windows that offer the look the customer wants without regard to how well the flimsy thin frames will hold up in the long, hot Texas summer heat. We’ve replaced many of these windows over the years, some of them failing after 5 short years. No telling how many cheap vinyl windows will be filling Texas landfills in another 30 or 40 years, but hey, at least they met the municipal code requirements and met the federal Energy Star guidelines, qualifying the homeowner for a tax credit. I’m no environmentalist, but it seems to be a poor trade-off.

I’m not opposed to vinyl windows, I’m opposed to the plethora of crappy vinyl windows that are being sold all over this state to naive homeowners who are paying too much for a window that is cheaply built and installed by caulk-and-walk contractors who don’t give a darn about the customer and their long-term satisfaction, as long as they can make a buck.

Quality vinyl windows have thicker frames and thicker walls with more internal bridging and reinforcement in the sashes. Quality vinyl windows have Air Leakage ratings of .05 or lower and Design Pressure ratings of 50 or higher. Quality vinyl windows, installed by professionals who know that the details of their installation system can determine whether or not the window performs to its maximum capability, come with a higher price tag....... initially. However, over time, the person who invests in quality products will almost always be proven to be the true value shopper and is more likely to be as happy in 20 years as they were the day the windows were installed.

Choose wisely because it matters. The idea that “anything is better than what I have now” isn’t true. Do your current windows leak? Cheap vinyl windows with poor corner welds and pocket sills very well might leak enough water to do serious interior damage to your home.

As a wise man once said “You’re only going to be concerned about price one time. That’s the day you buy. You’re going to be concerned with quality for the life of the product. It’s unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing what it was bought to do. The common laws of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot....it can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that then you will have enough to pay for something better.”

Sorry for the rant, it wasn’t specifically directed to the OP, but rather an opportunity to get some things on the board that I’ve wanted to say for a while.

Dave, feel free to contact me direct for any additional assistance that I can provide. I don’t serve your area, but I am always happy to help guide you through the process of choosing the best product for your home and your budget. I can be found at UltraWindows.net. Best wishes with the project!

BigDave

#4 Post by BigDave »

Randy,

Thanks for the info. That is all I was looking for. I wanted to know why you recommended DY. You explained it. I fully agree on some of the things you mentioned. The reason I have held out so long to replace my windows (90% have blown seals) is mainly the fact my current windows are weather/water tight. The offer almost no thermal barrier, but they are doing no damage to my house. Thx.

I just got a quote for Sunrise. He said that it wasn't a specific model just not there Essential line. I did find it a little odd since I always read about Essential, Standard, and Vanguard models. He showed me the cutaway of the double hung it had insulation but I didn't see any reinforcement.

Based on the research I have done since my original post, my best options are Sunrise, Don Young, Simonton, and then a step down to NT.

I forgot to mention I did get Andersen to come out and they love their windows. It seems like a very nice product but not $53K for 22 windows nice. :shock: