Simonton, Alsides or local?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dhman

Simonton, Alsides or local?

#1 Post by dhman »

Hi,
I am enjoying your site and the content. I need some help from the pros here. I am in the process of enclosing my front porch to give my family some more living space since we may all be home in the fall due to Covid-19.

I have 5 window openings approximately 3' high x 6' wide. I intend to install 2-panel sliders in each. I have received quotes from multiple companies, but due to budget (approx. 4k) I am down to 3 options right now.

Option 1
Alside Mezzo, 6000 series, triple pane, Solar Zone TG2 Therm D glass with foam enhanced frames (U factor .21, SHGC .27, AI . 04).
$3750

Option 2
Simonton 6500 series standard, ProSolar low E, double pane, double strength glass (U factor .30, SHGC .27, AI .12)
$4139

Option 3
ThermoTwin (Pittsburgh-based company) Their standard double pane slider (low E), with Superspacer and composite reinforced frames (U factor .29, SHGC .38, AI . 14).
$4250

I will update with specs as I receive them, but I'm guessing most of you are familiar with these windows - at least the first two. I will be grateful for your thoughts.
Dave H
Last edited by dhman on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton, Alsides or local?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Don't know the 3rd window, but the first two are considered middle-mediocre on the performance spectrum.

dhman

#3 Post by dhman »

Thanks Windows on Washington. Yeah. That's what I've been reading about them. Some forums seem to like one or the other as a decent middle tier window, but I've also seen plenty of negative posts for the Alside product line and I've read some posts that say the Simontons really leak air. I'm stuck with my budget though, and guess I just need to find the lesser of the evils in that range :roll:

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Simonton is the more dependable of that bunch, but bulkier than the Mezzo. Where are you located?

dhman

#5 Post by dhman »

The Pittsburgh area.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Simonton can work okay for you here. I would also peak around and see if you can find a Sunrise or Soft-Lite product as well.

dhman

#7 Post by dhman »

ImageThanks for the reply again Windows on Washington! I have updated the specs for each window based on my phone calls to manufacturers/reps .see original post edits in red.

That being said, how important are these numbers when evaluating these windows? I am going to have a good bit of glass on my porch plus a sliding glass door (see pic) and the porch does get a good bit of sun all day so I don't want to have too much heat/cold energy transfer, but I also don't want to select an inferior window based just on specs if they do not mean that much.

Also the warranty on the windows is as follows-
Alside - 5 year labor, lifetime window, installer is Window World
Simonton - lifetime labor, lifetime window, installer is Home Depot
Thermo Twin - 10 year labor, lifetime window.

So would your recommendation still be Simonton? Or does this new info change anything?
Does anyone else have any thoughts? I hope to make my decision today so any/all input is appreciated.
Attachments
Pic of porch window openings
Pic of porch window openings

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would suggest OKna, Sunrise or Vytex

theWindowNerd.com

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with the other pros, you should expand your search.

dhman

#10 Post by dhman »

Ok folks. I took the advice of several of you here and expanded my search to look at different windows. I tried to get quotes for Sunrise and Okna windows. I tried contacting Sunrise for a dealer/installer in my area, but gave up after several attempts online and via phone met with no response. I was able to get a local company who came out and quoted me Okna windows however. As far as the windows go, I see why you guys like them better. They were the nicest window I've seen so far. And their performance specs were the best. Unfortunately, the quote I received was for $9721 for triple pane, and $8725 for double pane. Then came the gimmicky "if you sign now", and special ""IVP" and cash discounts, that would bring the double pane $8725 number down to $7641. This was still double the Window World quote of $3750 (which was for triple pane). So unfortunately they are not a realistic option. I just can't justify spending twice as much (cash) for their windows. Even if the other windows I end up putting in completely fail, and the company totally bails on a warranty, I could put in a second set at my cost and still be beneath the Okna price. Wished the Okna number was better, because I did like their windows.

All that said it looks like I will most likely go with Simonton. I was impressed with the company's customer service and most feedback I've gotten here and elsewhere seems to favor them over Alsides. If anyone has any advice for me as far as what to look out for (or insist on) during installation, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time!
Dave

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I must be missing something in the specs. Five is just the other side of low volume, but unless there are other agg factors.
In My neck of the woods I would be at $4000. max for SL520DX with full screen, ezglide could add $100 each, but not required.
Maybe see if you can find another Okna/Highmark dealer in your area.

theWindowNerd