Are Sliding door replacements discussed here

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
urdrwho

Are Sliding door replacements discussed here

#1 Post by urdrwho »

We need to get a sliding door replaced on a condo rental. This isn't our primary home so we don't need top shelf doors. The rollers are shot on the current doors and the seals are shot.

I've replaced a lot of windows with a big box store brand Reliabilt. They are built by Atrium which is a company that has been around for a long time. They may not be a great looking high end Pella or Marvin but they do what they are supposed to do and that is act like a good insulated window.

To me install is as important as the window quality.

HomeSealed

Re: Are Sliding door replacements discussed here

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Thanks for posting urdrwho, welcome to the site. Yes, sliding doors are discussed. The Marvin and Pella doors are not the units most recommended around here, but the Atrium certainly is not. If you are looking for a cheap solution it may fit the bill, but for anyone that is taking the time to research quality and performance, there are much better options. Most in the know would recommend staying out of big orange and big blue box stores when it comes to sourcing quality windows and doors. Rather than looking for a company that has "been around for a while" (in this case that "while" includes reorganizations and bankruptcies if I'm not mistaken) I'd recommend comparing thermal and structural performance ratings as a good start.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

What he said.

Install is absolutely important, but installed a substandard product well...makes it a well installed mediocre door.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Where is the project located.
What are some of the specs: size, colors, other options, what floor? All the preceeding will help in direction for suggestions.

wayne theWindowNerd.com

urdrwho

#5 Post by urdrwho »

Rough dimensions are 71.5 X 80.5.

Located in mid-Pennsylvania / mid-Atlantic states

It is in a rental and I'm not sticking some really nice door in there for some kids to wreck.
It is an aluminum door that is in there now and is the original.

There are two reasons I'm looking to replace:

1. Rollers are shot
2. Seals are shot (moisture between panes)

So yep I am kind of looking for price over quality. Builders grade stuff for investment properties. HOA says it has to be white.

Big box stores are all that exist around here. We used to have a bunch of independent yards but they died off.

On one property we own I had 15 Reliabilt 3900 double hung windows (may have been 3500 but fairly certain 3900) installed and to me they have been great windows. Both sashes tilt and if I remember the 3900 double hung were the only dual tilts. In the 5 years they've been installed even the tenants at that property haven't messed damaged them.

I've seen doors with very, very nice hardware, nice locking mechanisms, etc. but those are doors I would buy for a residence. Kind of like my neighbor has imported marble for his floors, he doesn't have the same floors in his rental units.

So I guess it is price then function then quality.

So since Reliabilt is made by Atrium ya all are scaring me with the Atrium is bad. ;)

urdrwho

#6 Post by urdrwho »

So asking a question, if you were putting a sliding door in a rental, you didn't want the best door but one that keep the cold air out, what are some suggestions.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where in Middle PA? Several good doors out there that will stand up to the abuse of renters. Don't think that the Reliabilt is that one.

Sunrise makes a nice door, but the Okna Elegante is probably the beefiest unit that is good on the market. Simonton door, if going with a Home Depot variant, is better than the Reliabilt too.

urdrwho

#8 Post by urdrwho »

Windows on Washington wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:29 pm Where in Middle PA? Several good doors out there that will stand up to the abuse of renters. Don't think that the Reliabilt is that one.

Sunrise makes a nice door, but the Okna Elegante is probably the beefiest unit that is good on the market. Simonton door, if going with a Home Depot variant, is better than the Reliabilt too.
Searched Depo and didn't find a hit for the size in Simonton. When I go on sites like Sunrise the price is a secret. ;)

I don't give out my personal information to get a price on a door. A loooong time ago we got tired of all the telemarketing that is created from giving out personal information. You complete something giving out your information and the do not call list is shot. I went up to this year not being on the do not call list but man....all day long our phone rang with telemarketing.

Thanks.

We are 300 miles east of Pittsburgh and 90 miles west of Phila and 70 miles north of Baltimore.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are a couple of guys that service PA on here. Have you tried "The Window Nerd"? He's been doing this forever and is a great contractor.

urdrwho

#10 Post by urdrwho »

Yes I already looked at his site but his location is a long way from my location.

His site says in & Around Berwyn, Collegeville, Doylestown, New Hope & Newtown, PA. which would make it close to a 180 mile round trip. Just to put in one door wouldn't make it profitable.

The local window people are coming by this week to see about replacing the seals and the rollers on the existing door. I'll see what they have to say. I went to an independent yard and they quoted me $3,200 for the door and install. If it were my home, I'd say yep let's do it because it was a very nice door.
Windows on Washington wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:18 am There are a couple of guys that service PA on here. Have you tried "The Window Nerd"? He's been doing this forever and is a great contractor.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

urdrwho wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:58 am The local window people are coming by this week to see about replacing the seals and the rollers on the existing door. I'll see what they have to say. I went to an independent yard and they quoted me $3,200 for the door and install. If it were my home, I'd say yep let's do it because it was a very nice door.

Sounds like a reasonable solution if the budget just isn't there. I'm not sure that you'll find many decent options under that quoted price.

As far as giving out your info, rather than going right to the manufacturer website, you can google that manufacturer and your city, it should give you a dealer or two for whichever product you are looking for. You can vet the dealers at that time as well... Its understandable that you don't want a fancy Marvin, or triple pane (assuming that you don't pay for the heat), but it would be illogical not to want a well built product that will withstand some abuse.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

My normal number for 8800 Elegante:6', wh/wh, low e argon, 4 point lock and screen.

email me if you want to discuss wayne@thewindownerd.com

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

urdwho: if window nerd serves your area you'd be in luck. One of the best, most conscientious and knowledgeable installers that I've ever met, and very fairly priced to boot.

urdrwho

#14 Post by urdrwho »

HomeSealed wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:09 pm
urdrwho wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:58 am
Sounds like a reasonable solution if the budget just isn't there. I'm not sure that you'll find many decent options under that quoted price.

As far as giving out your info, rather than going right to the manufacturer website, you can google that manufacturer and your city, it should give you a dealer or two for whichever product you are looking for. You can vet the dealers at that time as well... Its understandable that you don't want a fancy Marvin, or triple pane (assuming that you don't pay for the heat), but it would be illogical not to want a well built product that will withstand some abuse.

Well yeah I don't want something that will crumble in the next year but on the other hand I don't need an aesthetically great looking replacement.

I made a mistake on a few items for pricing that caught my attention when I bought the place. During negations I should have held my ground. The Realtor (buyers agent) we used was someone we know and if she had her way we would have bought without any negations. I did all the work on the Comps, I was on my knees seeing the dates of the HVAC, etc. The say we saw it our Realtor (buyers agent) said, "oh there is an open house this weekend and this place will sell this weekend." Nope --- wasn't going to bite on that chum bait.

So after doing my homework the place was selling above Comps. and then the repairs. I came up with a price that was $20,000 less than listing. Plus it has PB piping (which on the forms they said no to PB). It may be second generation fitting but it is still PB. I should have stuck to my spreadsheet but I didn't and made an offer $10,000 less. In the end I got a sellers credit of $4,000. I now have buyers remorse and regret not using my normal method of purchase.

So now I find myself making replacements based much more on price than quality.

FYI on PB pipe

https://oklahoman.com/article/2674844/s ... pipes-free