Help choosing double hung window replacements

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kim

Help choosing double hung window replacements

#1 Post by kim »

Looking to replace 16 double-hung wood windows with pocket inserts. I'm still evaluating uPvc vs composite or fiberglass. Changing from wood I am concerned about the glass loss, but I obviously don't know if this is really an issue until I can experience it. So I have a few estimates to consider, and would appreciate any recommendations. Also, any discussion regarding the loss of glass area others may have experienced is welcome.

Proposals so far are below. I really like Okna's, especially the Starmark, but I'm not sure it's worth the price above the Eco-Pro 600 (also the glass loss issue). All installers are top rated with lifetime labor warranties (?), and I believe the windows are also lifetime transferable warranties.

Composite / Fibreglass:
Marvin Infinity @ $29,115
Okna Starmark @ $17,772

Vinyl:
Plygem Great Lakes @ $21,601
Soft-lite Nirvana Imperial Elite Double Pane Double Hung Window 00100 @ $14,320
Okna Eco-Pro 600 @ $14,785

Thank you for any comments or recommendations.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Help choosing double hung window replacements

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You are looking at very good products.
I like the Okna 800DX. Any of the Oknas are going to be hard to beat on air tightness, no drafts.
Where are you located?

If you do a full frame replacement you will negate any glass loss. But your price will increase by $4K.

wayne theWindowNerd

kim

#3 Post by kim »

Thanks for the response. I agree all of the products look good.

The one feature on the Starmark that caught my eye is the sill design. It seems to match up with the existing wood window sills, and appears to facilitate run-off. I haven't seen it discussed anywhere, but some of the vinyl windows
I've seen have dams where I assume water may accumulate and freeze. Especially, if the drain holes clog.

Estimates I've seen posted around the web are all over the place. I'm in a mid-atlantic state, and I've seen postings with lower prices. Obviously, every proposal is nuanced, and there are also financing options that allow one to keep their money a little longer. I would appreciate any opinions on whether these proposals seem reasonable or overpriced.

Do installers include a negotiable mark-up expecting home owners to counter with lowest-bid matching? Are they typically receptive to a counter proposal, say 10% reduction?

Pardon my ignorance, but this is a once in a lifetime experience for me. Any advice is welcome.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

A fully sloped sill is preferable, in my opinion, over a pocket sill if its an option. I would agree with that.

Depends on the business model with regards to the negotiations question. Much of that back and forth is gone from the marketplace these days with the internet.

kim

#5 Post by kim »

Thanks to the Window Nerd and Windows on Washington for your input. Decision has been made to move on with the Starmark. I realized the glass issue might be kind of moot since my partner has curtains over most windows anyway. We'll see.

Once the project is complete, I'll return with a final comment on it's success.

Ricknez

#6 Post by Ricknez »

Good choice Kim
Both you and your boyfriend will be very happy with Starmark.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Slam dunk on this one Kim, excellent choice. The Starmark is often priced much higher and for good reason. Strength, excellent performance, and very sharp looks. If you've read about any concerns regarding glass loss on that window, that's regarding the old model which was a bit bulkier. The new unit is very slim lined (maximum glass) along with the butt-joined welds... Its a stunner.

kim

#8 Post by kim »

Okna Starmark project is complete. Replaced 16 windows and very happy with the windows and the workmanship. Obviously there was some glass loss, especially noticeable at the vertical center post of the double windows. I think I'm a little picky because my partner didn't hardly notice until I pointed it out. I also realized that my opinion was based soley on viewing the windows from the inside. After strolling outside and really looking at them I realized how spectacular they looked. If we were selling, these would definitely add to the curb appeal. Although there have been only a few cold days, the lack of draft and warmth is noticeable versus the 1992 wood windows they replaced. We have no regrets, and would make the same purchase again. Thanks again for the comments and recommendations.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Great feedback, that's the best window on the market IMO, and you got a very good deal on it. This decision will serve you well for many years.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Thank you for coming back and posting some follow up.