Feedback on Okna Quote

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rhr75

Feedback on Okna Quote

#1 Post by rhr75 »

Long time reader, first time poster! This board saved me from RBA and helped me narrow my choices to Okna 800 vs. Anderson 400 series. Curious how this Okna quote looks to people more seasoned than me. It's certainly a lot cheaper than RBA...

- Total tear out to rough openings, spray foam insulation, aluminum/silicon seal
- Total of 22 Okna 800DX Series (some are 700 Casements)
- White/white except for two of them where there is a wood grain to match an office interior
- Insulated/Energy Glass package w/ Thruvision screens
- 9 of the windows have contour grids, the others don't)
- Window breakdown:
4 Double-Hung
2 Cottage Style
3 Single Operating Casements
9 Picture Windows
2 Two-Wide Operating Casement Windows

There are a few "big" windows, like a (1) 70x62 w/ "triple strength glass upcharge" (?) and (4) 47x92 w/ tempered glass.

$22k installed, tax included. My impression is that this is a completely fair quote but would be interested in having other eyes take a pass.

Also, I live in arguably the most expensive zip code in our state and the homes in our neighborhood are high end. Curious the opinion of others regarding doing a vinyl window in this circumstance. I've been told our neighborhood is a "wood window" neighborhood. Our preference is for the Okna's due to their efficiency levels. However, would the 800's comes across as visually out of place?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Feedback on Okna Quote

#2 Post by masterext »

Price seems good and the okna 800 will fit in just fine in an upscale neighborhood, i wouldnt worry about that.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

What kind of window is coming out?

rhr75

#4 Post by rhr75 »

Original (40yr old) top of the line Pellas.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why bother with the full tear out option in that case? The difference is glass loss is minimal.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

I agree, why bother with a full tear out and spend all that extra money. You probably dont need to.

rhr75

#7 Post by rhr75 »

The thought was given at the time the home was built, there won’t be any foam insulation present and the full tear out allows the new window to be installed witj a better overall seal. It sounded logical to me, but hence when I’m asking.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

What about the interior woodwork with that quote? Its very competitive without new woodwork, but I'd say a downright bargain if that includes anything on the inside.

rhr75

#9 Post by rhr75 »

Ty, I’ll be sure to ask if the quotes include the interior woodwork or if that’s a hidden cost.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

I'd rather go pocket insert, have them air seal the openings, and spend that money you save in the attic.

rhr75

#11 Post by rhr75 »

Thanks everyone for the guidance, we're going to go with the Okna 800 and Sunrise Verde for our four massive windows as they have a ton of sun exposure and Sunrise can kick up the coating on those.

Was REALLY impressed seeing the Okna 800 in the showroom. I honestly think they look better than both the Anderson 400/E-Series we checked out for our other quote. I definitely walked away not feeling like they're run of the mill, conventional vinyl as I was previously familiar with.

Price wise, not even close, (38k Anderson 400/E-Series) vs 23k (Okna 800/Sunrise Verde).

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

rhr75 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:06 am Thanks everyone for the guidance, we're going to go with the Okna 800 and Sunrise Verde for our four massive windows as they have a ton of sun exposure and Sunrise can kick up the coating on those.

Was REALLY impressed seeing the Okna 800 in the showroom. I honestly think they look better than both the Anderson 400/E-Series we checked out for our other quote. I definitely walked away not feeling like they're run of the mill, conventional vinyl as I was previously familiar with.

Price wise, not even close, (38k Anderson 400/E-Series) vs 23k (Okna 800/Sunrise Verde).
Did you mention these concerns(sun) to your dealer. Okna does offer a Sunseal glass option that is a loose version of the Sunrise glass. If these big ones are fixed pw's it shouldn't be a big deal, although mixing and matching is generally not advisable unless there is some really compelling reason... You are getting two good windows here regardless, but sometimes things just don't match up as close as you'd like.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1. The Okna Solar Control option is not pretty as the Low-e 366 glass, but they definitely DO HAVE solar control option.

rhr75

#14 Post by rhr75 »

Okna was limited to how much coating they could do on picture windows of that size, whereas Verde could step up to a higher level of solar control. I tend to believe the person who quoted it as it didn't really change the price difference by much. They're huge wall to ceiling picture windows, so with no hardware or controls, probably won't notice too much difference in look and style; the Verde's also had a very convincing look of wood as well.

It's too bad these get labeled as "vinyl" because the 800's and the Verdes look nothing like the conventional stuff.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is this home again? How much solar control is really needed is a function of climate.