Okna 500 vs. 600

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Atlwnd

Okna 500 vs. 600

#1 Post by Atlwnd »

I got a quote for both the okna 500 deluxe package (with foam) and the okna 600 to replace 10 windows. There is a $50 per window difference or $500 total.

5 of the windows are 28wx54h and the other 5 are 28wx72h.

The installer said the only difference in my configuration (white no grids) is the 600 has reinforcement in the locking sash and a different top handle. Is this correct?

I don’t care about the handle, and is the reinforcement needed for windows that are only 28” wide?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna 500 vs. 600

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

600 sash is a bit stronger in this comparison. At that size window, doubt it make any difference. Most folks like the 600 because of the handle hardware. If that doesn't do anything for you, you are good either way.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

The Okna 600 series is stronger and has structural reinforcement but many people forget it also has a few other features the 500 does not have: The sill interlock and an interlocking header. Im a structural guy and really like these enhanced engineering features as they make the window feel nice and strong.
The sill interlock adds structural integrity and helps prevent water and air infiltration at the sill.
The interlocking header prevents the top sash from falling and drifting down when left unlocked which prevents insects, air, and water from coming in. It also serves as a security feature as well.
Obviously the structural reinforcement prevents the window from bowing and deflecting while adding strength.
There are actually a few differences between the 500 and 600 opposed to just one difference.
Last edited by masterext on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

Atlwnd

#4 Post by Atlwnd »

Ok thanks. Didn’t know about the sill/header.

I would guess these would even be important for a 28” wide window? I would imagine many reinforcements matter more the larger the span is between mounting points. I would imagine the main benefit of the sill/header interlocks become even more important as the window ages (weather stripping etc wear, reinforcements don’t)

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Not just as it ages but it helps from day 1 in my opinion. I like the reinforcement and I like interlocks on the Okna 600.
That said, the 500 is still a good window.

Atlwnd

#6 Post by Atlwnd »

Also they don’t recommend upgrading to the sunseal package (live in Atlanta) even for the southwest facing windows because it’s much darker than standard LowE window package. Is there a noticeable difference in light? Technically the windows without sunseal package don’t meet energy star (energy star is SHGC .25)

Atlwnd

#7 Post by Atlwnd »

Opinion on loe2 vs loe3 in Atlanta on Okna? Wish okna used cardinal glass (loe366). Maybe a different window would be recommended for Atlanta (one that offers cardinal loe366).

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Sunseal 5527 from Okna is a bit dark for me. Standard 7138 from Okna is going to cut down the solar heat gain by more than 2X over standard double pane glass. That is usually enough for most folks not in Florida, Texas, or Arizona.